By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata - Nintendo will not stand still while Sony/Microsoft progress

A lack of gaming titles that hold my interest suggests otherwise. I feel that Nintendo knows good and well it’s already won this generation cycle.  As someone who sat 12 hours in a Wal-Mart to get his Wii on launch day I have to say it’s been Nintendo’s worst system to date.   Besides those two new Mario games and Metroid; I see nothing that holds my interest. I personally was excited about the punch-out franchise coming back to the Wii but upon hearing that the game’s only pleasurable when you play it with the NES control scheme; I decided not to buy it. The same with Mad World when I read of its short length.  As a system that phrases itself for its innovation; Nintendo most certainly hasn’t brought to the Wii what was promised through its grandiose control format.

Around the Network
Aquietguy said:
Staude said:

Actually it's funny you should say this

Because wii doesn't use blue tooth. it uses a camera and 2 lights. Sensor bar imits 2 lights that the wiimotes camera picks up.

It's sonys ps3 controller that uses bluetooth to communicate with it's console. This innovating a new type of controller :P

And read my last post for the d-pad part.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the wii mote does use blue tooth. The sensor bar is used for IR tracking for laser pointing like functionality. But the wii mote still has to communicate what its camera picks up back to the console. It communicates that through blue tooth.

I see. I didn't know that. Makes sense actually.

So both controllers use bluetooth then. Fair enough.

@chrizum. Frankly you sound like a fanboy with that statement. No offense.

Regardless of all this. I didn't mean to spin the thread partially off topic. It's gonna be interesting to see what all the big 3 does in the future. The showing of 3d versions of motorstorm, gt5p and wipeout by sony at gdc in particular have me excited :p

Check out my game about moles ^

Aquietguy said:
Staude said:

Because wii doesn't use blue tooth. it uses a camera and 2 lights. Sensor bar imits 2 lights that the wiimotes camera picks up.

It's sonys ps3 controller that uses bluetooth to communicate with it's console. This innovating a new type of controller :P

Correct me if I'm wrong but the wii mote does use blue tooth. The sensor bar is used for IR tracking for laser pointing like functionality. But the wii mote still has to communicate what its camera picks up back to the console. It communicates that through blue tooth.

Entirely true. That's why it's so easy to interface with a Wiimote using a PC.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Aquietguy said:
Staude said:

they've finally switched to a cd based system, which they weren't exacly the first to do either...

Yea! But wasn't the cd base that Sony used in the ps1 originally designed as a cd add on for the snes? So if Nintendo wouldn't have becked out on Sony, a cd add on for the snes would have beat the saturn to the market. So they would have been the first to use a cd base console and there wouldn't be a play station brand from Sony. All you Sony fan boys can atleast thank Nintendo for something.

Well yes the Playstation originally began as an SNES add on, but that is besides the point. NEC was the first to have CD based console games. The Turbo/PC Engine CD was launched in 1988.

Krafty said:

A lack of gaming titles that hold my interest suggests otherwise. I feel that Nintendo knows good and well it’s already won this generation cycle.  As someone who sat 12 hours in a Wal-Mart to get his Wii on launch day I have to say it’s been Nintendo’s worst system to date.   Besides those two new Mario games and Metroid; I see nothing that holds my interest. I personally was excited about the punch-out franchise coming back to the Wii but upon hearing that the game’s only pleasurable when you play it with the NES control scheme; I decided not to buy it. The same with Mad World when I read of its short length.  As a system that phrases itself for its innovation; Nintendo most certainly hasn’t brought to the Wii what was promised through its grandiose control format.

You can't blame Nintendo for the lack of games. They have been on point what first party games as always. It's the third parties that were playing catch up. But now good games are here and coming. It's not really a matter of lack of good games any more. It's more of a lack of games that interest you.

Around the Network
Staude said:

@mai well.. I do think that cds were important back then. And blu ray can be important now.. with all the HD stuff it's pretty nice if you can get the stuff less compressed.. And with the cds back then. Command & conquer isn't command & conquer without the fmvs :P

Meh, one way or another - I really doubt new medium format can be considered an innovation at all. At the beginning of 90s it was clear to everyone that CD adoption was inevitable.

Staude said:
Aquietguy said:
Staude said:

@chrizum. Frankly you sound like a fanboy with that statement. No offense.

Yeah, everyone who says Nintendo has innovated more than Sony is a Nintendo fanboy. *chuckle*

I'm not saying Sony hasn't innovated, they did. But to claim Sony innovated just as much or more than Nintendo is pure fanboy talk. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a fact. Most Sony and Microsoft fans would admit it, and the fact that you do not proves you're just a fanboy.

Staude said:
mai said:
Staude said:

Eye toy was pretty mainstream known and it had motion controls.

Sony expanded the userbase first.

Power Glove? Nintendo expanded userbase first, so Sony was able to successfully release EyeToy :P See what I've done? Used your logic to prove my point.

Concerning your other statements. Here's a fairly simple example, which should make it clear what wrong with your points. Who's responsible for exploration of the Americas? Norse of Columbus? Even if you'll say Norse, what about native Americans who "explored" the Americas before Norse? You're arguing over wrong thing. The only thing that matters - who brought public awareness of the Americas. Definitely Columbus. Use the same logic here - d-pad and motion-controls are Nintendo achievements (read below, clearly stated by tuoyo). Speaking of online, a lot of consoles since 80s were "online capable" (not necessarily multiplayer online) one way or another, a whole bunch of console manufactures experimented with online (not to mention PC, which is still superior to consoles comparing userbase that plays online), but  I'd say Sega and Microsoft deserved fame to be named as Columbus of online play on consoles. Dreamcast and Xbox made it right, successfully launched true online-capable consoles (sadly enough it didn't help Sega).

CD is more of a technology leap. The only thing it brought - games that are heavy on CGI, which's not a bad thing on its own account, but hardly could be translated into gameplay innovation. The best analogy - today's use of DVD (X360) and BD (PS3) for games. Do games on BDs are significantly better than games on DVDs? No. Do "more space" translates into "better games"? No. As we have already learned only CGI-heavy games (Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon etc.) are being published on several DVDs - this's the only annoyance when playing games on DVD instead of BD. Use the same logic back in those days when CD came out. People keep telling me that N64 lost because it used cartridges instead of CDs. I d'say Ninetendo f*cked up badly because of several reasons (as if people are saying that PS3 only lost beacuse of it's price point). Games on N64 didn't suffer because of cartridge use, the only thing that PS1 usually had and N64 didn't - CGI. N64 cartridges were considered previous generation technology compared to hi-tech CDs by mass user who wasn't well into technology and wasn't aware of the fact that if throw away all CGI - game easily fits on cartridge. So I'd say - a buzz, marketing, PR - that's what damaged N64 most if we're talking about how CDs influenced console war, but not lack of CD technology itself (and maybe one more reason - CDs are significantly cheaper to make than cartridges). Clearly not a problem speaking about DVD vs BD comparison, mass user usually can't see a big difference between them, maybe, due it's similar form-factor... I assume it's safe to say now, that manufacturer wasn't able to explain "advantage" of using BD-games instead of DVD-games to mass user, i.e. this time PR campaign wasn't successful enough.

But weren't consoles successful before nintendos consoles ? I am well aware what the nes did for gaming. But it took previous (successful compaired to the then market for stuff like this) ideas and used it for their own. Hence they didn't invent it. Sure they improved it. But sony's improved upon the same idea and that's somhow frowned upon. Sony has also brought innovations to the industry and is responsible for console gaming being more then for children. Arguably it could still have happened without sony, but we don't know exacly. The fact that all the big ones influence and develop the video game market is something they don't get credit for. Instead all we hear is how sony copies nintendo and microsoft buys third party dlc (usualy temporarily.)

And regarding CD's.. Try using cartridges today. They're technologically inefficient. Yes cds and dvds are used for cgi and other movies and songs and whatever.. but so are textures, models etc. Atleast today you need a lot of space... And developers increasingly need more. The fact is that while they may not impact your gameplay, they do enchance your gameplay experience.

And that's all that matters.

meh.. expected backslash but 3 replies.. er ok next one is tuoyo

there was a d-pad and a analogue before nes. Both were invented previously to nintendos machine. However, that's not to miniscule the success of the machine.. It's not what i'm trying to do here. My point is simply that nintendo hasn't innovated as many things as you guys often proclaim, and that infact they're doing the same stuff that sony are.. in a lot of aspects.

Actually that's all i need to reply to you. I don't know about shoulder buttons or rumble .. So in those two aspects you may very well be right. Coincidentially nintendos new classic controller has the same layout as the dualshock. So with all the controller stuff you can really say that they copied that. It has the dual analogue, and the handlers like the dualshock so.. Again the companies take from eachother what they can use and make some of their own.

@jaos.. damn your long reply.

I'm not belittling it, as you refer to it as. I'm just saying that it's tirering that some people keep belittling sonys achievements, claiming they copied everything from nintendo while sitting on a high horse, without noticing that nintendo was playing the same ballgame.

The same thing you use, i can use. Playstation was the first to successfully use "Handles" on the sides of the controller which nintendo has then "copied" .. Again it's the same logic.. so to speak.

The pointer ? are you talking about like a mouse ? If they hadn't used that the wii mote would be terrible. It's not innovating.. it's common sense.

Anyways we could keep going like this but i don't see the point. .. The only thing i said was that nintendo didn't invent many of the things they've been proclaimed to and that i am right in. So the only thing i request is people to stop belittling sonys achievements in gaming the same way you wouldn't like anyone to belittle nintendos.

Ofcourse even microsoft has done some for console gaming. It made pc gaming successful on consoles, which we can all appreciate this generation.

100% in agreement, i see quite a bit of the forum member's saying HVD is more innovative than Blu-Ray, but if they would have known BLU-RAY is also a HVD technology also. that's right Blu-Ray is also a holographic technology. Sony and panasonic, Sharp all have been working on Blu-Ray for a long time enhanceing it. as a matter of fact blu-ray was first on the market in 2002 for consumer's to purchase Blu-Ray . Quite a number of People act like it was Sony that was trying to push a "sony only format" on people. Sony and 11 of the largest Optical drive manuf. have been working on blu-ray for year's, sony started back in 1997. I see many slam Sony for "trying to push their "proprietary format"  Hell you could make that case for any company..:D Microsoft with "IHD" control software for HDDVD. I just seem's that many gamer's are more than ready to Blame Sony than Microsoft or Nintendo. Just because it's Sony this is just What i have seen on many web site's . there has been people in this very topic that say's wait for "HVD" as an innovation but slam Blu-Ray. just sayin

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

yes the Wii does indeed use blue tooth.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

@leo-j

I know what you mean, kind of felt like a formal declaration right there or at least the straw ultimatum before the actual declaration.

I figure someone will assassinate Arch Duke Cammie Dunaway and all hell will break loose.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D