By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have my doubts about The Conduit's first sales

My doubts about The Conduit comes from E3.

This was supposed to be a game with decent marketing and I can't say it made a lot of buzz at E3 and the game is about to release....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

tuoyo said:
I think Mario Kart is the only complete multiplayer game we have had.

I agree but..

Brawl had crap online,

yet its Local multiplayer is great.

Red Steel was just crap,

and some bought it because it was the only Multiplayer FPS at the moment.

Wii Sports and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics had no online

They don't need it! Specially Wii sports! see? They still sell/sold a lot because people gather to play togetrher and have fun! that's the basics fo any videogame, specially one like a FPS.

and now Conduit which has no local multiplayer.

That's what bothers me...

WereKitten said:

@Stefan

I hate stating this, but actually HV's Quantum 3 is a third generation engine :)

Really? I taught they started to build it when they chose to do some own ip's. Now that i think of it. They would have been working on the wii for  previous licensed games. Darn, i'm wrong then. Fuck, that's why they called it the 3rd quantum. Boy, that's pretty stupid from me.

Just forget that part from my previous post. My bad.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

@stefan and werekitten -

yes is the 3d generation of that engine but was rebuild to take full advantage of the wii
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Voltage_Software#Quantum3_engine

Just like the Unreal Engine 3 is to the other UEs

I agree. This is probably a rental for me because of this.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

Around the Network

Thank you for stating the obvious and repeating what's already been said. Seriously, gtfo.

Bobbuffalo said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
The reason why the conduit has no local multiplayer is because of the good graphics. The wii can't render two screens with those graphics. That was to taxing for the wii, at this moment probably. This is HV first generation (Quantum 3) engine where new improvements could no longer be added to the conduit. At some point you just have to go with what you have. Or you end up like Duke Nukem Forever.

It's the same reason why Killzone 2 doesn't has local multiplayer. They beafed up the graphics so much that the PS3 couldn't do splitscreen anymore. Maybe the third oinstallment ca

I know, and is cool that they push the graphics. But I don't think that pushing out such a very vital element from it was wise. I hope that The Grinder has Local multiplayer.

I heard that and I can't believe they did it with KZ2.Isn't the PS3 that powerful then?

The Grinder will have at least two-player splitscreen (they're working on more), and you will be able to take everyone on one console online to fill in the rest of the spots.  I personally confirmed that with the game's lead designer, Eric Nofsinger, at E3

I bet The Conduit 2, if such a game ever comes out, will have splitscreen.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Before there was online, local multiplayer a la Goldeneye was aweome, but at the same time you always wished you had your own screen rather than a quarter of it. System link and LAN parties were the next step up, but I've never tried either or them (which doesn't mean nobody has of course). Online is a good alternative for most people, but you're right it doesn't have the same feeling of being in the same room as people while playing the game. The local multiplayer experience for Goldeneye was what made that game great, but the online experience has made countless other games great. It's a shame they can't have both, but in today's gaming world I think they made the right choice as to which option to pursue (if they could only pursue one).

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

@kitchensink - ah cool! I hope they stickwith it

@cheat - Grow up.

Actually the thing that worries me a little about that engine is that it's very general-purpose. After all, they plan on developing a gladiator game leveraging it.
I'm sure that at Bungie they had to heavily specialize Halo's engine for the needs of split-screen multiplayer FPS action, but at HV they are so much smaller that they probably can't afford it.
They have a much greater return over every man-hour spent on the engine if it's really modular and reusable, even at the cost of some performance.

edit: good news about "The Grinder" having split screen. I guess that will come with an updated version of their engine.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman