By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen perspective from someone who hasn't made the leap yet.

Makaveli777 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Ah yes, the old "360 caters to shooters" argument. It really has a lot more games than you think...it's about even with other platforms as far as shooters go.

Well from what I see on gaming sites. Its not to far from the truth. Most of their top rated games are shooters. Although I have gained more interest in it after looking at lost odyssey and Eternal Sonata.

So I guess what I meant was 360s big titles all seem to be shooters. The other titles are rated lower and/or get less attention. Because seriously I didn't know lost odyssey existed until like 5 mins ago lol.

I think the thing about the 360 is that it has a lot of IP that isn't 10 years old, because the Xbox hasn't been around that long.  When I look at the lineup for Xbox games, every other title is something I don't recognize.  Some people see this as a good thing because the games are more original, others want a name they recognize because they know what they're getting.

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
I haven't adopted a console this gen either (aside from the DS), I definitly leaning the most towards the Wii, in fact that's really the only one I have any interest in what-so-ever. I think the PS3 looks like its doomed in all respects and is just too expensive anyway (even the Wii is too expensive for me right now). And the 360, well, there's not any games I want for it and I hear they break alot, though I guess I would choose it over a PS3 since it probably has a chance to make something of itself. PSP looks fun but I wouldn't buy one, if someone gave it to me for free, I'd gladly take it but I'm not spending money on something that has been out this long and only has a few games.

So the order in which I'd choose this next gen is....

1. DS (already got it)
2. Wii
3. Xbox 360
4. PSP
5. PS3

I think you're being a bit harsh on Sony's consoles, GGE; PS3 might seem a bit doomed at the moment, but things will surely pick up considerably next year and on. And as for PSP, it has loads and quality titles; the problem is that they're mostly racing/sports/shooting ones (that's the reason I slightly prefer my DS over it). And in case I haven't said so, welcome to the forum.

IMO, games with avg scores of 75% or higher deserve the full price tag.
Many games aren't up there but still charge you full price.

Rayman Raving Rabbits 2 might make an exception for my to-be-purchased-game list. Very likely to get it anyways if it score lower than expected.

My brother has a 360 and I have a Wii. I can say good things about both. In fact, what I feel the Wii lacks, the 360 follows through with and possibly vice versa. I wish the Wii was more online. And I wish it had more games for hardcore gamers. Not to say im not loving it to death. I was first in line on launch day and here is what I've got so far:

Games Ive Beaten:
WiiSports - Play it all the time with friends
Super Paper Mario - Good game, although I liked Thousand Year Door better.
Trauma Center: SO - Very unique and fun. I will check out the sequel when it comes out.
Metroid Prime 3: An amazing FPS/Adventure game. I absolutely LOVE this game.
Resident Evil 4 - I never played the Gamecube version, so this was an amazing game for me (third person shooter) I will be picking up Umbrella Chronicles.
The Legend of Zelda: TP - Loved it. Solid and entertaining game.
Rampage: Total Destruction - Simple, mindless game my brother and I play (We've played rampage since the very beginning)

Games I have yet to Beat:
Red Steel - Bought this launch day and wish I hadn't. The controls are fundamentally flawed in my opinion.
Mario Strikers Charged - Fun and entertaining. Striker cup is challenging! (Still havent beaten it) Cons: Online play is simple.

The 360 I cant so much speak about. But I will say that it is a huge step over the Xbox ever was. It has a great selection of games out already and has more on the way.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

^^ RRR was a very enjoyable game; don't know why it scored that low. Hope that RRR2 fares better.

Around the Network

Hello

Mass Effect is not a shooter, it's a RPG...

Bye.

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
Makaveli777 said:

Hi everybody I'm new to this forum. Been lurking in the shadows for a while though lol. Right now I want to talk to everybody about how I (Someone who doesn't own a next gen console yet) think about this generation currently.

Now last generation I owned all consoles Ps2 being my favorite for its variety and having the most RPG's since its one of my favorite genres. I liked all of them they all had something good to bring to the table. But to me this current generation of games is missing something.

Lets start with the 360. I don't see myself owning one of these in the near future due to it being so 1 dimensional. They seem to only want to cater to one audience and thats fans of shooters of any kind. If you look at their best games that are out or coming out they are shooters. (Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect Bioshock) I like shooters but come on wheres the variety.

Now for the wii. My little brother owns one of these so I have alot of experience with this system. I used to absolutely love wii sports and Zelda until they got old. Now all we do when we play wii is play Smash brother Melee for the gamecube. That isn't good at all. Wii's future line up looks bright though with the new smash bros and super mario galaxy coming out. But those were to be expected. Where's the good 3rd party games at Nintendo? Push those developers to make you some good games.

As for Ps3. Do you even care any more sony? Its like they have been sleep for the first year in the console war. They have good games so far but no great ones. Some of the good games they had are being turned into multiplatforms or threatened to turn into multiplatfrom like Devil May Cry, Katamari, Metal Gear solid. And on top of that they boast that they have the best graphics but allow companies like EA to release games that aren't at their max potential.

Now I know it a little early on in these systems lives and maybe my expectations were too high but I expected more. I guess I'll just be playing my Ps2, GC, Xbox and PSP until next year and see where things go.

And thanks to everybody who reads this.

Peace

Definitely a much better first thread than most who post here (my first thread sucked awful =P ).

Anyways I agree with a lot of what you said and the sentiments you have expressed are shared by a lot of people in your position right now. There are a lot of people who look at the 360 and see a library that doesn't interest them but a lot of that has to do with the games that are hyped for the 360 fit the genres that sell well on the system.  So the result is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but there is a decent amount of variety there if you take a good look.

As far as the Wii 3rd party support, well it seemed companies dragged their feet for a while as Wii became popular but now that its out in front (for now Halo 3 might be able to steal it back but it'll be tough) the devs are forced to deal with the console.  The result is that in the past 2 weeks or so a pretty steady flow of releases have been announced by 3rd party devs and while I personally am not interested in all of them it sounds like a very large number of them would fit your tastes

As for the PS3 I agree completely with the slow games cycle currently and a number of game delays are partly to blame for this.  Personally I plan to wait until next year before I decide which console I want to go with my Wii and right now I am in fact leaning PS3 thanks in large part to games like LBP and echochrome.  The only downside is that for a lot of the good games that everyone is anticipating you will be waiting until 2008.  So in that respect if you decide this is the path for you I would say hold out a bit longer since you have waited this long and hope to get in after a 2008 price cut for a bit cheaper.  Unless money isn't an issue then it might be worth it now for you.

In closing, ask on the different forums for some of the fans of the consoles to suggests games for your tastes.  There are a lot of people here you do a lot of reading every day about different games and it seems like you would share very similar tastes with several of them so you should use their research to your advantage and let it help you decide where you want to spend your hard earned cash.  Just remember in the end its about having fun! 

To Each Man, Responsibility
mrpapaye said:
Hello

Mass Effect is not a shooter, it's a RPG...

Bye.

Have you seen any gameplay vids? There are some serious shooter elements in that game. It's the only thing I have misgivings about for it, since Bioware doesn't have much history as action developers.

Even if the action is a little unpolished, the game as a whole will probably kick ass.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Wow I think I like this place. I never expected for so many people to help me and state their opinion on the matter.

Well after reading through alot of your posts I decided I was being to harsh on the next gen consoles. It seems the best is yet to come for all of them and 08 will be a big year.

Since probably wont be getting any of these systems until 08 I'm leaning towards getting a PS3 first because 3 of my favorite franchises are coming out Metal Gear Solid, Tekken and Final Fantasy. And because of LBP which looks like something never done b4. But I have heard of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear threatened to go to 360 numorous times so I never know. And with new 360 exclusives coming out who's to say I wont like those too.

Then theres Wii. I might purchase 1 too, but right now I'm content with playing it when I get to go home from college since my brother has it. I'm a big Smash Bros player though so If I find it cheap enough I might buy that too.

So thats where Im at right now. Thanks again everybody for readin and helpin out.

Peace

Well Tekken MGS and FF are all heavily rumored to come to the 360. MGS will, the other two probably wont, so if you must have them buy a PS3. As for RPG's, the 360 has the best line-up for the foreseeable future. In the JRPG category Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey, followed by Infinite Discovery, Cry On and Lost Odyssey next year, not including multi-plats Microsoft will pay for between now and then and possible other Mistwalker titles. In WRPG's there is Mass Effect, Oblivion GOTY edition, Two Worlds (will be pretty good after the multiplayer patch), Fable 2, Too Human and every single other WRPG that is multiplatform because the 360 has such a large US base.

If you must play Tekken and FF and cant wait to see if they go 360 buy a PS3. But if you were serious about being an RPG fan don't kid yourself. The PS2 has a tonne of great RPG's, at this stage the PS3 has none (except oblivion), and the only two that can be seen coming are FF and WKS

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS