By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer trashes Grand Slam Tennis. 5/10

You wasted a perfect pun opportunity with that title. For shame. :p

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
ameratsu said:

So many pun opportunities wasted in that title. For shame. :p

There are? I am ashamed. Enlighten me so that I won't make this mistake again.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I can't seem to find that 90 review anywhere.

But it was interesting in the hands on on the WM+, they had trouble with GS Tennis. So I wonder if it is their build or the game or the players. (They also talked about it not adding much to Tiger -- which counteracts what I have heard previously). http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wii-motionplus-hands-on

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Well, i worded my post wrong originally and it's now corrected. Eurogamer serves up a 5/10 for Grand Slam Tennis would be a good obvious choice.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

mike_intellivision said:
I can't seem to find that 90 review anywhere.

But it was interesting in the hands on on the WM+, they had trouble with GS Tennis. So I wonder if it is their build or the game or the players. (They also talked about it not adding much to Tiger -- which counteracts what I have heard previously). http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wii-motionplus-hands-on

Mike from Morgantown

Official Nintendo Magazine gave it 90% and stated that the Wii motion plus works really well, so probably Eurogamer were aggressive when they couldn't get the hang of it soon enough and just put a instant 5, maybe when eurogamer get the hang of it and starts to enjoy it they might give it a higher score.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network
ameratsu said:
Well, i worded my post wrong originally and it's now corrected. Eurogamer serves up a 5/10 for Grand Slam Tennis would be a good obvious choice.

Not to mention replacing "trashes" with "slams" for the most obvious one

Rainbird said:
ameratsu said:

Not to mention replacing "trashes" with "slams" for the most obvious one

Slamming Grand Slam is a little too redundant for me, but yeah, serving could have been done.

I will endeavor to make my thread titles snappier in the future, gentlemen!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing

Just when I was almost decided on getting this instead of Virtua Tennis. Now I'm not sure again. Have Eurogamer reviewed VT as well?

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3308-4850-9342 / STEAM ID: makepeacefox

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

"Watchmen" is far better than The Dark Knight / Why does no-one own this wonderful game: Fragile Allegiance? / Speak (Type) Italian to me!

Disloyal member of the LFGM

Wow!  What a hilarious review!

It reminds me in a lot of ways of some of the Wii Music reviews I've read.  The reviewer sucks at the game (like Casamasina) and thus concludes that the game sucks.  From the Eurogamer review:

but the problem is just that - winning games is disproportionately and unfathomably tough.

As something of a tennis gaming veteran, I kicked off on the game's medium level to see how I got on, but was forced to drop it down simply to see if I'd fare any better. The difference was minimal, and, again, the problem was nearly always down to actual shot-placement rather than fierce AI. In the heat of a lengthy rally, you might be doing fine, but one misread shot and you're another point down.

"Unfathomably tough."  "one misread shot and you're another point down."  Yeah, who ever told you that tennis was easy?  And why would you think that your status as "a tennis gaming veteran" would translate at all to something that actually requires you to, you know, swing at a ball (or a virtual one anyway)?  He's spent his entire life training his thumbs and thinks it matters to these new motion control schemes.  It's like someone being a champion Guitar Hero player picks up a guitar and can't play it right off the bat... and thus decides that real life guitars don't work well -- they don't have the "precision" of a Guitar Hero controller.

Like I say, Wii Music was the first time I'd noticed it, but apparently it is the future: reviewers who are used to being able to pick up a game and display mastery at it from the get-go are going to suck at these 1:1 motion control games.  Because many of their egos are so tied into their identity as super-gamers (they're professionals, after all), they'll feel hurt.  And small.  And angry.

Hilarious.

Makepeacefox said:

Just when I was almost decided on getting this instead of Virtua Tennis. Now I'm not sure again. Have Eurogamer reviewed VT as well?

Not yet. I think ONM is the only reviewer I've seen which has reviewed both games. They gave VT a 76, IIRC, and they gave GST a 90.