By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 3 Brand NEW Forza 3 screenshots.

@kanariya: How about these facts:

1- By some definitions it's 1080p, by some it's not.
2- It gets upscaled if you have a 1080p TV (hence it doesn't run at the native resolution of a 1080p TV).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

2- It gets upscaled if you have a 1080p TV (hence it doesn't run at the native resolution of a 1080p TV).

Good luck with him, NJ5. Maybe you'll have more luck than I had.

But since you still attempt to reason with you-know-who, your patience is greater than mine =)

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

In a vertically orientated game, a racer for example having 1080 lines of resolution rather than 720 is a definate advantage for people with 1080P sets. The game would only be scaling in one direction rather than two, and it would be scaling in the direction which matters least. Its a good compromise between the PS3s scaler not being as good as the Xbox 360 scaler and maximising 720P visual quality. 30% more pixels is still 30% more pixels.

Tease.

Bitmap Frogs said:
NJ5 said:

But since you still attempt to reason with you-know-who, your patience is greater than mine =)

Well, you posted the ITU standard that you personally have.

These are what I found that what can be called 1080p by it's definition.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterglossary/g/1080pdef.htm

Definition: 1080p represents 1,080 lines of resolution scanned sequentially. In other words, all lines are scanned in progressively, providing the most detailed high definition video image that is currently available to consumers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

1080p is the shorthand name for a category of HDTV video modes. The number "1080" represents 1,080 lines of vertical resolution (1080 horizontal scan lines),[1] while the letter p stands for progressive scan (meaning the image is not interlaced).

Squilliam said:
In a vertically orientated game, a racer for example having 1080 lines of resolution rather than 720 is a definate advantage for people with 1080P sets. The game would only be scaling in one direction rather than two, and it would be scaling in the direction which matters least. Its a good compromise between the PS3s scaler not being as good as the Xbox 360 scaler and maximising 720P visual quality. 30% more pixels is still 30% more pixels.

Yep.

But people only care about prestigious buzzwords T_T

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
Bitmap Frogs said:
Squilliam said:

Yep.

But people only care about prestigious buzzwords T_T

It's not that I care about the "Magic" 1080p word.

It's that people calling me wrong for stating GT5P is 1080p by definition.
If you look a few pages back. I'm just proving my point.

kanariya said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
NJ5 said:

Definition: 1080p represents 1,080 lines of resolution scanned sequentially. In other words, all lines are scanned in progressively, providing the most detailed high definition video image that is currently available to consumers.

1080p is the shorthand name for a category of HDTV video modes. The number "1080" represents 1,080 lines of vertical resolution (1080 horizontal scan lines),[1] while the letter p stands for progressive scan (meaning the image is not interlaced).

Wow, your only retort is the glossary on a consumer-oriented website like about.com? Hey look they have an article about surviving the DTV transition with coupons for free DTV decoders, yippeee! Meanwhile real video sites talk about the costs of running a multiplexed DTV signal fubaring the cost structure of smaller networks.

Look what you and the other amateurs are missing is that 1080 lines of square pixels on a 16:9 ratio relates to 1920x1080 total pixels.

Bitmap Frogs said:
kanariya said:

Wow, your only retort is the glossary on a consumer-oriented website like about.com? Hey look they have an article about surviving the DTV transition with coupons for free DTV decoders, yippeee! Meanwhile real video sites talk about the costs of running a multiplexed DTV signal fubaring the cost structure of smaller networks.

Look what you and the other amateurs are missing is that 1080 lines of square pixels on a 16:9 ratio relates to 1920x1080 total pixels.

Are you saying about.com's definition on 1080p is wrong?

If that's what you mean you should e-mail them to correct them and update the wiki page.

You know it's confusing.

kanariya said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Are you saying about.com's definition on 1080p is wrong?

It's incomplete, which leads to false assumptions.

That's because "the industry" decided the public can't cope with details, so everything HD related targeted to the consumer gets smudged. Thinks like square or non square pixels which is critical to this are considered beyond comsumer's interests.

Yeah, it's confusing as hell. 

NJ5 said:
@Bitmap Frogs: I watched the videos on the site, they look great.

But what's with the car going suddenly turning around and going into reverse without losing speed, in between two other cars? That was just weird!

You mean what they showed on the conference?

The consensus is that's CGI with in-game assets.