By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XIV: Free-to-Play and beta announcement on PS3

Squilliam said:
@ Outlaw, you don't expect FF14 to sell even a million copies? Why not?

In a single terroitory no. In America + Europe, yes.

I expect around 1.2-1.5 million on the PS3 version. A little more on the PC version.

That's if the product is very good and hype is high.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Zuhyc said:

That's true, it's also much easier for PS3 owners to play the game than it was to play FF XI.

@Squil: It will, but not on the PS3. Most of the sales will come from the PC version.

The FF userbase is on consoles though. Thats like expecting a PC franchise like Half-life 2 to sell better on the Xbox 360. Jusy because theres a big MMO userbase on PC doesn't mean it will perform best there, actually it could perform worse there than consoles due to greater competition and less pedigree. On consoles its the opposite, FF has more pedigree and less competition.

Tease.

Well, the main fanbase for FF11 is on the PC.

@ Outlaw, thats because the PS2 didn't have a network adapter built in and online gaming was a small part of that system. Also the relative PC/PS2 3d performance at the time favoured the PC by quite a margin.

Tease.

Zuhyc said:
StanGable said:
This is actually making this game even less appealing now!

For those of you who are not familiar with free MMORPGs this can only cause 2 possible outcomes:

1.- Square will be pumping out expansions every 6 months at the longest for full retail price to keep th eir servers going

2.- They wil offer luxury items to the players to buy which will eventually lead to players willing to spend money on this to be overpowered compare to those that don't have the means to pay.

If they go the option 2 route this also causes another complication: Players are less willing to group with you just because you just simply can't perform as someone of your equal level that will have better items. I know this first hand as a player of GLB a fantasy football MMORPG. Our team only hires agents t hat buy custom equipment and boost every season. Guess what, we're a top competitive league and we could totally destroy a team that's 4 to 8 levels higher than us if they weren't custom equipment users.

Sad to see FF going this route. And again, I also don't expect this game to give the great story that a non-MMORPG FF would give us. I'm even more willing to buy a PS3 for FFXIII VS than do it for this one

DOn't worry, this is just some fanboy bullshit. But about your last 2 lines, didn't lots of people say the story in FF XI was really good?

Actually, he is right.  If it is free those are about the only two possibilities, with option 2 being most likely.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
@ Outlaw, thats because the PS2 didn't have a network adapter built in and online gaming was a small part of that system. Also the relative PC/PS2 3d performance at the time favoured the PC by quite a margin.

Which is why I think it'll sell as much as I said. I don't believe FF11 on PS2 even sold a million.

Zuhyc said:
StanGable said:
This is actually making this game even less appealing now!

For those of you who are not familiar with free MMORPGs this can only cause 2 possible outcomes:

1.- Square will be pumping out expansions every 6 months at the longest for full retail price to keep th eir servers going

2.- They wil offer luxury items to the players to buy which will eventually lead to players willing to spend money on this to be overpowered compared to those that don't have the means to pay.

If they go the option 2 route this also causes another complication: Players are less willing to group with you just because you just simply can't perform as someone of your equal level that will have better items. I know this first hand as a player of GLB a fantasy football MMORPG. Our team only hires agents that are willing to buy custom equipment and pay for level boosts every season. Guess what, we're a top competitive team and we could totally destroy a team that's 4 to 8 levels higher than us if their players have not purchased custom equipment .

Sad to see FF going this route. And again, I also don't expect this game to give the great story that a non-MMORPG FF would give us. I'm even more willing to buy a PS3 for FFXIII VS than do it for this one

DOn't worry, this is just some fanboy bullshit. But about your last 2 lines, didn't lots of people say the story in FF XI was really good?

How am I being a fanboy on this? I'm a huge FF fan but  I also tested FFXI and did not enjoy it. I will also not purchase FF XIV whether it comes out on the 360 or not. The true reality of free MMORPGs is that to be good at it or a desirable player for big encounters you must be willing to spend the cash.

What are you looking at, nerd?

IF this true, This would make FFXIV on PS3 a definitive version to get. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

jkjkj

testking and 1z0-146 and 4A0-103 and 642-072  

brian500 said:
jkjkj

uh.. way to bump an old thread, and its your first post ?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.