By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XIV: Free-to-Play and beta announcement on PS3

Zuhyc said:
Squilliam said:
So, if this is free to play is there any reason to expect that this game will not release day and date with the Xbox 360 version in the west? If they are going to the trouble of porting FFXIII to the Xbox 360, then why would they waste some of that good effort by not releasing the Xbox 360 version under the same circumstances?

MMO games are difficult to make, so I can see them again staggering the releases between the different regions. They will probably release in Japan and perfect the game for 6 months or so and then release the game in the west, so use the hardcore market in Japan as like a limited beta before they release the game in the west to people who need to be impressed day one by the game.

Sony prolly bought timed exclusivity. A few years ago SE said they were woriking on a PS360/ PC MMO. They won't scrap the 360 version to please sony and its fans.

Buying the timed exclusivity in Japan would be cheap. Buying exclusivity of a game against a system which would sell millions of copies is counter-productive and expensive. You never see it happen unless the company has some prior claim to the franchise with say MGS or if the franchise is new, say Bioshock or Gears of War. Outside of Japan, Sony no longer has that prior claim because they lost it the day FFXIII went multi-plat and Microsoft gained it because they put so many resources into building up a userbase of people who buy tons of WRPG games. A userbase which can obsorb two 3M+ eventual LTD WRPGs in Fallout 3 and Fable 2 back to back a week apart.

Tease.

Around the Network

IF this is true, this literally just officially turned into the biggest announcement of E3...

@ Squill

Uh, I don't see FF14 selling 1 million copies on any single platform in America or Europe.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Zezlar said:
Yes, Square-Enix condemned the selling of in-game items to people using real world money in FFXI. If they go with micro-transactions they become hypocrites. If they want to make ANY money on this game then they would either need micro-transactions or a subsciption fee. Sony/Microsoft aren't going to pay to keep the game up.

They BECOME hypocrites? Didn't they already prove they are hypocrites when they announced FF13 as multiplat?

outlawauron said:
@ Squill

Uh, I don't see FF14 selling 1 million copies on any single platform in America or Europe.

Yeah, I don't think FF XI made it over 2 million on all platforms combined. SO buying timed exclusivity wouldn't be very expensive.

Besides, the sales of FF XI on the 360 weren't grounbreaking either.

Around the Network

@ Outlaw, you don't expect FF14 to sell even a million copies? Why not?

Tease.

Zuhyc said:
outlawauron said:
@ Squill

Yeah, I don't think FF XI made it over 2 million on all platforms combined. SO buying timed exclusivity wouldn't be very expensive.

FF14 will be much more successful than FF11 though. MMOs have gotten much bigger since it released 7 years ago.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Zuhyc said:
outlawauron said:
@ Squill

FF14 will be much more successful than FF11 though. MMOs have gotten much bigger since it released 7 years ago.

That's true, it's also much easier for PS3 owners to play the game than it was to play FF XI.

@Squil: It will, but not on the PS3. Most of the sales will come from the PC version.

This is actually making this game even less appealing now!

For those of you who are not familiar with free MMORPGs this can only cause 2 possible outcomes:

1.- Square will be pumping out expansions every 6 months at the longest for full retail price to keep th eir servers going

2.- They wil offer luxury items to the players to buy which will eventually lead to players willing to spend money on this to be overpowered compare to those that don't have the means to pay.

If they go the option 2 route this also causes another complication: Players are less willing to group with you just because you just simply can't perform as someone of your equal level that will have better items. I know this first hand as a player of GLB a fantasy football MMORPG. Our team only hires agents t hat buy custom equipment and boost every season. Guess what, we're a top competitive league and we could totally destroy a team that's 4 to 8 levels higher than us if they weren't custom equipment users.

Sad to see FF going this route. And again, I also don't expect this game to give the great story that a non-MMORPG FF would give us. I'm even more willing to buy a PS3 for FFXIII VS than do it for this one

What are you looking at, nerd?
StanGable said:
This is actually making this game even less appealing now!

For those of you who are not familiar with free MMORPGs this can only cause 2 possible outcomes:

1.- Square will be pumping out expansions every 6 months at the longest for full retail price to keep th eir servers going

2.- They wil offer luxury items to the players to buy which will eventually lead to players willing to spend money on this to be overpowered compare to those that don't have the means to pay.

If they go the option 2 route this also causes another complication: Players are less willing to group with you just because you just simply can't perform as someone of your equal level that will have better items. I know this first hand as a player of GLB a fantasy football MMORPG. Our team only hires agents t hat buy custom equipment and boost every season. Guess what, we're a top competitive league and we could totally destroy a team that's 4 to 8 levels higher than us if they weren't custom equipment users.

Sad to see FF going this route. And again, I also don't expect this game to give the great story that a non-MMORPG FF would give us. I'm even more willing to buy a PS3 for FFXIII VS than do it for this one

DOn't worry, this is just some fanboy bullshit. But about your last 2 lines, didn't lots of people say the story in FF XI was really good?