By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sold PSP & got a NDS Lite...Game Recommendations Please! (RPG's GALORE)!

@smoked hostage

ok I'll just fo some computer GBA emulation then....till the game ships from amazon

I just got the DS hardware....sot he games will take like a week to come, I'm ordering them tomorrow.

thats enough time to finish Supe Mario RPG 1 (considering no games are on PS3 that need to bought ATM)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Buy Cooking Mama, I loved this game!
(YES, I AM SERIOUS!)

Take a look at my photos on flickr

Elite Beat Agents is a blast. It comes close to the best $5 I ever spent. Only reason I didn't recommend it is because it is a rhythm game and I didn't know if you'd be interested.

Professor Layton is probably the best puzzle game I've played too. I wrote a review on it before staff got banned from writing reviews. I'll post it below because I was quite proud of it cause I'm not much of a writer

A brilliantly entertaining puzzle game which has a compelling story, classic puzzles, and catchy tunes that will keep you entertained for hours. A must own for any puzzle fan.

Professor Layton and the curious village starts off with a letter which invites you to the curious village of St. Mystere. The baron has died and you have been requested to solve the riddle of the Golden Apple. Everywhere you go there is a new mystery to be solved in St. Mystere which has many secrets hidden within its walls. You play as Professor Layton and his assistant Luke as you try to solve the mysteries posed to you along the way.

The village inhabitants are infatuated with puzzles and wherever you travel people will ask you to solve their puzzle. Some people will offer hints and clues to the mysteries of St. Mystere if you solve their puzzle, while others just ask puzzles because they love them. The storyline is linear as you can only go to new sections of town when allowed, but it doesn't feel restrictive as you can solve most puzzles whenever you want. I don't wish to say much as the storyline is gripping and I wouldn't want to give away key plot points. Also, some puzzles require you to complete them before progressing with the storyline, while others are there purely for your enjoyment.

Puzzles vary in difficulty from easy to mindbogglingly tough. The harder the puzzle the more Picarats the puzzle is worth. If you give a wrong answer to a puzzle though you will get less Picarats for solving it. If you get stuck you can use hint coins, which can be found throughout the village, to give you up to 3 separate hints. Don't worry about missing puzzles or leaving them till later though, as any that are missed go to granny's house where you can solve them whenever you wish.

There are various extras like picture peices and furniture which provide a small diversion from the main story. Finding all of these and putting them where they belong will unlock extra puzzles that are more challenging.

The game is completely controlled using the stylus for exploring the village and solving the puzzles. The controls are simple yet brilliant as they allow you complete and easy control and you never wish for another input method. Some puzzles have you draw on the screen or move pieces around, while others have you select an object or enter a value on a second screen.

The graphics are all 2D, but they are beautifully done. Various first and 3rd person views are used throughout the village. Though the garphics are simple, they are charming and only add to the game. FMVs are used to aid in the story telling at various points, and they also provide full voice acting. The voice acting fits each character perfectly. There is also voice acting when they let you know if you solved a puzzle correctly or not, but sadly, other than that it is restricted to the FMVs.

The music, while not epic, is very fitting and memorable. The music fits both the charming and mysterious aspects of the game. The music loops often, but it is not intrusive and you will find yourself happily humming along with the tunes as they are very memorable.

There are 135 puzzles in the main game, and 15 extra puzzles that you can unlock by meeting certain conditions. Also, there are 24 weekly downloadable puzzles still available, however the weekly updates have ended and I don't expect any more. Overall the game should last around 10-15 hours of gameplay depending on how familiar you are with some of the tougher classic puzzles. I personally managed to beat every puzzle in ~12 hours. Once you beat the game though there is little replay value unless you forget puzzles very easily.

Overall this is a must have title for any puzzle lover that owns a DS.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

@outlawauron

lol I know its awful

I never "wanted/needed" to buy a game for it.....ironically GT PSP the one I got the PSP for was announced yesterday

{sigh}....anyway.

darthdevidem01 said:
@outlawauron

lol I know its awful

I never "wanted/needed" to buy a game for it.....ironically GT PSP the one I got the PSP for was announced yesterday

{sigh}....anyway.

Weak......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

@nordlead

thanks....Prof. Layton WAS the biggest Q in my head.

I had no idea what it was about.....that clears things up.

lol so many games!

I love platformers too so here are some good ones:
NSMB
N+
Prince of Persia: The Fallen King
Henry Hatsworth and The Puzzling Adventure

Some other good titles outside the platforming parthenon:
Meteos
Big Bang Mini
Geometry Wars Galaxies( just don't expect to play it with a stylus)
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Retro Game Challenge
Peggle Dual Shot

There are so many are so many good games you might actually want to get a flash card from a place like dealextreme to try some of them out to see if they are to your liking, also you could play some really cool impossible to find imports on it like Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan which is sooooo much better then elite beat agents the Americanization( and I do mean that word literally) of the game.

outlawauron said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@outlawauron

lol I know its awful

{sigh}....anyway.

Weak......

yet except for 2 games in your collection, none of them still seem "must buys" & hence don't justify such a high price tag. Ps3's to blame the most....its games cost so much, buying games for everything else goes out the window.

Now that I have a DS......I'm going to have more games than I did in the entire time I owned a PSP....clearly something is wrong with the PSP here.

wise decision if you are tight with money and can't afford two handhelds

now you can start saving for the PSP Go!
then you can get GT portable and MGS:PW at the same time :)

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

darthdevidem01 said:
SmokedHostage said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@soriku

is it "that" good......I saw gameplay of it, looks REALLY complicated

@smoked hostage

cool they sound nice.....Mario & luigi partners in time....is that mario & luigi RPG 2?

@all

Is SONIC ADVANCE good? (if thats what its calleD)?

Superstar Saga is 1
Partners in Time is 2
Bowser's Inside Story is 3 (Not yet available outside of Japan yet)

so is superstar saga 1 on DS too....obviously I'll want to do it in order (sorry for so many Q's)

@outlawauron

I LOVe metal Gear, GRAN TURISMO

but outlawauron I media blocked myself in the past month, I had no idea  metal gear was definetely coming to PSP...although xxain did give me a slight rumor about it. And ofcourse I thought GT Portable was cancelled till I found out it obviosuly wasn't today......

but I hated MGS:PO so....maybe Ds is the handheld for me after all.

This is not portable ops though. He said this was the true sequal to the story and the one he personally was making

This is possibly the worst timing ever to sell your psp XD it's never had such a good prospect.. but hey ! this should be a incite to pick up the psp go !

:p

Check out my game about moles ^