By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Project Natal ALL OVER UK NEWS!

The difference betweent Natal and the EyeToy is quite apparent. Natal can map a person's whole skeletal structure into 3D space using a sensor and processor designed specifically for that purpose. You could make an exact replication of the Tron disc game using Natal. The area where you're playing in the game would directly relate to the area in your real surroundings. You can move around in it and the character in game would mimic exactly what you do. If the disc is coming forward and to the right, walk forward and to the right and grab the disc when it comes. Now throw it. Natal will be able to detect you finger movements so the disc can be released by exactly how you would throw a disc.

The EyeToy would have no chance in hell at completing this since all of its processes revolve around algorithms dealing with 2D data. This pixel is different so something must have happened. Even the suggestion that the EyeToy can do what this thing can do is immediately laughable by anyone who understands how they function. The man turning around and showing the bottom of his shoe was an example of the skeletal system being mapped to 3D(obviously they have not worked out how to determine exactly when the skeletal system is rotating, which is what caused the skeletal system to go crazy).

Discs of Tron - online, diving, throwing, making sure not to fall through the destroyed ring sections. You heard it here first folks. If no one does this and they release the API to XNA, I sure as hell will make it.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:

The difference betweent Natal and the EyeToy is quite apparent. Natal can map a person's whole skeletal structure into 3D space using a sensor and processor designed specifically for that purpose. You could make an exact replication of the Tron disc game using Natal. The area where you're playing in the game would directly relate to the area in your real surroundings. You can move around in it and the character in game would mimic exactly what you do. If the disc is coming forward and to the right, walk forward and to the right and grab the disc when it comes. Now throw it. Natal will be able to detect you finger movements so the disc can be released by exactly how you would throw a disc.

The EyeToy would have no chance in hell at completing this since all of its processes revolve around algorithms dealing with 2D data. This pixel is different so something must have happened. Even the suggestion that the EyeToy can do what this thing can do is immediately laughable by anyone who understands how they function. The man turning around and showing the bottom of his shoe was an example of the skeletal system being mapped to 3D(obviously they have not worked out how to determine exactly when the skeletal system is rotating, which is what caused the skeletal system to go crazy).

Discs of Tron - online, diving, throwing, making sure not to fall through the destroyed ring sections. You heard it here first folks. If no one does this and they release the API to XNA, I sure as hell will make it.

Read the link I just posted above.

The PlayStation Eye is a camera.

The Natal "eye" is, for lack of an official description, being hinted as something like an array of laser range-finders.

Dryden said:
It is worth noting that Johnny Chung Lee, the CMU wiz of Wii headtracking/YouTube fame, works for MS on Project Natal now.

http://procrastineering.blogspot.com/2009/06/project-natal.html

Again, I want to see this in a real application and not one of MS's 'vision' videos. That said, if Johnny Chung Lee is impressed by MS's tech, than I am impressed too. He breaks down a bit more about *how* it works and identifies people in the "cloud" on his blog.

Johnny Lee is great at technical stuff and thinking of new technical possibilities, but not at applying them to actual games as far as I've seen.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Leonidus said:
Lol at these Autumn reports.
When did Sony say Home would come out?

Microsoft isn't Sony. They're not in the habit of promoting something that is years off.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Leonidus said:

Microsoft isn't Sony. They're not in the habit of promoting something that is years off.

There's a first time for everything

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Leonidus said:

and if thats the case, where are the games?

throwing paint and dodge ball does not sound like its going to be here within a yr

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

mrstickball said:
Leonidus said:

Yes, yes they are. Longhorn, Windows 7.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

mrstickball said:
Leonidus said:

Like Alan Wake...

Just out of interest, do you Natal fans see GeoW 3, releasing fall 10, which according to you is after Natal, using this? Or for that matter any shooters? And who here is going to drive without a steering wheel? I just think some sort of peripheral is needed most games

Also, I agree that the Sony job was last minute, but I think that their tech is a lot more practical, though less impressive

Demotruk said:
mrstickball said:
Leonidus said:

Yes, yes they are. Longhorn, Windows 7.

No, they are not! South Park XBLA, Peter Jackson's Halo project!

Err I am in the UK and havent seen a thing about this. Overhyping seems to be a common flaw in any Microsoft and PS3 thread. Isnt it funny how motion controls are all of a sudden the best thing ever when this time yesterday it was crap? LOL

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""