By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why FF14 is the BIGGEST announcement of E3........

Dgc1808 said:
People don't sem to be impressed.

Damage control. They all thought 3rd party exclusives were dead, especially with Sony. But Agent and MG: PW were announced, and now a freaking Final Fantasy is exclusive also. They only try to compare it to FFXI because it psuedo failed, and only relatively considering the PS2 wasn't an online system. PS3 is an online heavy system and this is Final Fantasy

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Dgc1808 said:
People don't sem to be impressed.

Damage control. They all thought 3rd party exclusives were dead, especially with Sony. But Agent and MG: PW were announced, and now a freaking Final Fantasy is exclusive also. They only try to compare it to FFXI because it psuedo failed, and only relatively considering the PS2 wasn't an online system. PS3 is an online heavy system and this is Final Fantasy

You can go on imagining that the FF name alone will sell this game; it doesn't make it true.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

But, but...I want my single player FF.

mrstickball said:
Million said:
mrstickball said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

FFXI sold under 2m units globally, correct? Why is this in the same territory as the other announced exclusives from Nintendo and MS that are far larger?

mrstickball I hope your not basing that on incompletle Vgchartz numbers . I hope your keeping in mind the difficulty , no the impossibility that the average person faced when trying to get online and the mandatory need for a PS2 hard drive yet it still sold , I hope your keeping in mind the size of the MMO market then in relation to it's size now.  But you already know that don't you ?

Actually, I was basing it off subscriptions to FFXI. FFXI was on PC. You know that, right?

FFXI is below WoW, Lineage 1 & 2, RuneScape, and most likely Dofus. Heck, if you throw other MMOs in the mix, FFXI is most likely below Mob Wars and Elven Blood, too.

Because of that, I don't think that an online RPG from Square quantifies as a spectacular must-have game, given the sales and subscriptions despite the game being on the PS2, 360, and PC.

Is WoW the Equal to the DS in terms of MMORPGS?

AkibaFan said:
:@mendicate

I don't want to be rude but, did you read my post?

I said most people didn't know how to go online with PS2's

now PS3 is a ONLINE marketed console.....so the

PS3 ONLINE USERBASE is >>>>> PS2 ONLINE USERBASE

So FF14 already has an advantage thats why I think it was the biggest announcement

You clearly didn't understand my post. Your entire argument is that ffxi didn't sell well because it was released on a system that didn't support online play well. However you forget to mention it was also released on pc, a platform that had powerful support for online gaming even back then, yet it failed to sell massive numbers on the pc. Hence even with the fact that the ps3 is much more online orientated theres no proof that the game will sell better than its pc predecesor, ffxi.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

More accurately people don't really care that much for a MMO.People were just as disapointed with FFXI and it was on the beloved PS2. It just isn't that big a deal.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Two points.

According to Wikipedia, it is 2M characters. Given that when it was 1M characters, it was 500k users -- it pegs the playing population at about 1M. Great for an MMO. But not great if you are looking to move consoles and software.

Remember too that this base is PS2, Xbox 360 and PC. Players are on multiple systems.

Also, few MMOs are free. With PSN not having a fee, it is doubtful that Sony could sustain a system without a regular source of cash flow.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

AkibaFan said:
@sc

Tell me what was PS2's online userbase size?

whats PS3's.....definetely over 14 million

There's your answer dude

MMO's now will be BIG as online gaming has EXPLODED

Still far less than the online users for an MMO. There is one notable MMO out right now, and it is by far the anamoly in the field. Historically speaking sequels to MMOs actually do worse than their predecessors. FFXIV will probably be just another forgotten game in the franchise.

@Mike
The numbers SE has been announcing for the MMO have consistently been around 500k for a while now. It is unlikely they have seen much growth without bragging about it. Especially not doubling their active subscribers. That is something you shout from the hill-tops.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Don't you just all love E3 ? :P

It's about as exclusive as Splinter Cell Conviction... it's not really a big deal... MAG is a bigger deal than this