By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - More Gamespot Bias

Meh I don't go on that site I prefer IGN. I think they're more fair with their reviews, but still, the reviewers are humans like us, and we all have our personal preferences.

Like imo, Halo isn't worth much because I don't like the controls, I don't see what's so great about onlines games (so it doesn't affect the score really much) and I don't really like FPS. So from my point of view it would get a much lower score.

The same for Metroid I would say I don't like FPS but at least it got a better control scheme imo. So for me Metroid would get a little better score.

Of course I didn't play Metroid and only played past Halo games but from what I know, the control didn't change for it.

Anyways, I still think that sites reviews can give you an idea for what to expect in the game, but I still prefer to rent if I'm not sure about it.

Around the Network

Judging by the analysis of Gamespot's reviews above, Gamespot is no more biased than IGN. I was running a data sheet on a few different consoles and found that the average for the three "next-gen" consoles were as follows:

Wii: 6.485897436
Xbox 360: 7.301898734
PS3: 7.477586207

The only difference between IGN and Gamespot appears to be that IGN has given the Wii's flagship games slightly higher reviews which has saved it from the wrath of fanboys.

Assuming that this discrepancy between average reviews is present on all the major consoles, it would indicate that either everyone has a bias against the Wii (unlikely) or the more reasonable conclusion that the Wii simply has not managed to reach its potential and has failed to provide consistently worthwhile gaming experiences. Perhaps the answer simply lies in the idea that motion controlling remains a little overrated at this point in time.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

1. I completely agree that the 4 player co-op, forge, and all the other things Halo 3 offers are not frilly extra features that don't affect the gameplay. these are some great reasons why Halo 3 is getting some of its really high scores.

2. It is annoying when one great game (Metroid 3-- seriously one of the best games I've ever played and I didn't even like Metroid Prime) get criticized for something and then another gets praised for the same thing but meh, it doesn't affect the game in any way at all.

Picko said:
Judging by the analysis of Gamespot's reviews above, Gamespot is no more biased than IGN. I was running a data sheet on a few different consoles and found that the average for the three "next-gen" consoles were as follows:

Wii: 6.485897436
Xbox 360: 7.301898734
PS3: 7.477586207

The only difference between IGN and Gamespot appears to be that IGN has given the Wii's flagship games slightly higher reviews which has saved it from the wrath of fanboys.

Assuming that this discrepancy between average reviews is present on all the major consoles, it would indicate that either everyone has a bias against the Wii (unlikely) or the more reasonable conclusion that the Wii simply has not managed to reach its potential and has failed to provide consistently worthwhile gaming experiences. Perhaps the answer simply lies in the idea that motion controlling remains a little overrated at this point in time.

The answer lies in the fact that the war has only just begun. Anybody could win.

You really can't go by gamerankings, it's including too much, like for instance VC titles. Gamespot tends to rank the old games high, like Paper Mario scored over a 9 while they tend to skew much lower then 2% on titles like Metroid and Zelda TP. If you look at some these big franchise titles they rate more like 5-10% lower. I think they are bias toward the general industry standards, no midi music, voice acting, better graphics, they tend to get frustrated with Nintendo not moving along. So I think that comes out a little there. But even though I disagree with their review, I also like that they come down on these games. Seriously i want the next Zelda to push the envolope and if everyone gave it a 10 then what would Nintendo's motivation be to make the game better?

Around the Network

As much as I dont like the Wii I have to agree ... GS gives overall great reviews for 360 killer games while Sony/Nintendo games are often received much worse than on other sites ... the best solution : look for more than 1 site to get an overall impression :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

My personal opinion is that Halo is the most overrated game of all time. I think it's a good game but it's really not that interesting and the online mode isn't that much fun either. It all feels clumsy to me, but I do love my xbox360!!

veteran83 said:
My personal opinion is that Halo is the most overrated game of all time. I think it's a good game but it's really not that interesting and the online mode isn't that much fun either. It all feels clumsy to me, but I do love my xbox360!!

That said, it is fun for a game to be over-hyped. I'm not Halo's biggest fan by a long shot. But I'll be getting it today, because its the one game big enough with this industry that I know all of my friends will also get. A co-op mode in most games would be useless to me, but this is this like the game that I actually know other people are getting and will play online with me. I know I can play with anyone online but lets face it, it's no nearly as fun with people you don't know. So it's cool to just buy in to the hype sometimes and enjoy the ride with the excitment generated by the fans.

It's like ever watch an average anime film at an anime convention? I watched a film that at home by myself would have been okay but with all the die hard fans it was a blast. So I look for halo to do the same. the commrodare of the hype will make this a better game even though that's not programmed in. 

I have been convinced that GS is biased towards MS ever since their reviews of Oblivion. The 360 version scored higher than the PC version, and recieved GS' "Best" tag, despite the fact that the PC version had far superior graphics than the 360 version, not to mention mod support (the game was practically made for mods). Hell, GS even wrote an entire article about how much better the PC version looked, but it still scored lower.

After I noticed this, I began looking back at reviews of older games. Compare Halo 2 to Super Mario Sunshine. Halo 2 was credited for "the same great gameplay" of Halo: CE. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, they said. SMS, however, was critizied for being too similar to SM64.
64 revolutionized the platforming genre, and had excellent gameplay, Whyt doesn't the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ideology apply here? Not to mention the fact that SMS' gameplay WASN'T that similar to SM64's. The waterpack added many new gameplay elements compared to it's predecessor, far more than it Halo 2 added over Halo: CE.

Zelda: TP was was also critized for it's similarites to OoT, despite the added motion controls and the fact that you play half the game as a wolf.

This is strikingly similar to the issues the TC brought up with MP3 compared to Halo 3. One is acclaimed for it's similarities to it's predecessor, the other ridiculed.  Hell, MP3 is so far the number one game to make use of the Wii controls, yet it's too similar to MP2?!?  Of course, Halo 3 does have many new gameplay features as well, such as Forge, but the point still stands.

Legend11 said:
And if they give Galaxy or SSBB a 10 what then, will you still call them Microspot?

There's no way in hell that will happen.  No Smash Bros' game has yet to receive AAA status (9.0+) at GS, and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon.  Galaxy could recieve 9.5, but I don't they'll ever give another 10 after THPS3.