By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - More Gamespot Bias

Warioware 9.1 sounds about right to me [i assume you mean smooth moves]

9.5 for halo3 is probably right, though i wouldn't know because i personally find it dull.... as for MP3 it definately deserves more than Warioware, i would say on par with Halo 3 [or maybe .1/.2 less]

as for whoever from 1up who gave halo a 10, thats just OTT, i would ask what other games have recieved a 10 to check for bias but no game should get a 10 when working on a scale of 100 [0.1-10.0]

If i were to rate the games MP3 would probably get 9.4/9.5 and Halo3 [assuming similar controls/gameplay to 1st Halo] would get about 6... now that would be properly biased.

As for the review content, i do feel he is being an ass on MP3 comments.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
@blaydcor

To me you appear to be showing bias yourself.  Are you going to play Halo 3's 4 player co-op, it's online, forge, saved film (you can view the action from any angle (from a character's perspective or a free roaming camera, slow it down, play it in reverse, you can even edit them by cutting out parts, and you can take still pictures, plus you can share all this with other Halo players), look at it's file share in which you can upload pictures or videos or download ones from other players (and even leave comments on them) and they're all hosted from a central server at Bungie.  I mean there's a lot of pretty amazing new stuff so to just call it Halo 2 is very unfair and it has a lot of stuff that is likely going to become standard and copied by other FPS.  It also has built-in clan support (not sure if it shows up on Xbox Live yet but it was created with Halo 3 in mind and will be included with future online fps games if their developers want it).  It's far more than just Halo 2 with a few nice features.

Cannot agree more with you mate. But I believe that AT LEAST Metroid Prime 3 meritted a 9.0. I mean the control scheme ALONE could be a major plus when marking the game. When was any console game rated to have controls near to the keyboard and mouse setup of the PC? None, until MP3 arrived. Apart from that it toally inovated the series. It added voice overs, the ship-visor, corruption [hypermode], VASTLY different worlds and as every major game site out there said "some of the best visuals [art style of course] ever seen in any videogame." Apart from that it also added acheivement points - which results in the screen capture modes etc.

Halo 3 rightly deserved it's 9.5 score, but Metroid Prime 3 rightly DESERVES a better score.

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers

It is hard to understand why fans are so concerned over scores and not the content of the review. Different sites base their scoring under different criterion. Gamespot typically scores lower, across the board, than other major review sites. That doesn't indicate a bias, thats simply their review system. All that indicates is that their reviews are not directly comparable to some other sites without adjusting for the difference in average reviews.

Furthermore, review scores are not comparable between consoles, therefore the Halo 3 and MP3 reviews can not be compared, in the same way that one cannot compare MP3 to MP1 or Mario 64 to Super Mario Bros. To argue otherwise is simply a waste of time.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
famousringo said:
Gamespot couldn't figure out that MP3 had an advanced control setting.

They also gave Warioware a 9.1.

Seriously, if you actually want a useful review of a Wii game, go to IGN or Gametrailers. Those guys actually play their Wiis, and not just when paid to review games on them.

I have to admit, it definitely showed that the reviewer at Microspot was playing the game on the "Basic" sensitivity and it also showed that the guy didn't finish the game at all. He didn't say anything about the ship's interactivity in the game, and he especially said this quote that I still don't understand today:

QFT: "Metroid Prime 3: Corruption delivers what everyone expected it would do, no more, no less"

So that's basically saying that the Wii controls are just a gimmick and are nothing special compared to the dual analog-stick control scheme or whatever. Honestly, this is what makes the game even more exciting but there's not enough credit for it! Also, the interactivity with the ship in this game is incredible too, I mean you're really attached to Samus' ship, which is something I would never see in other FPS of the sort.

But meh, I guess I'll get a fanboy tag now for stating my opinion about the review... =/

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Here we go again with the Halo 3 vs. a PS3 and Wii game review. Why didn't you say Resistance: Fall of Man or Heavenly Sword?!?

Around the Network

Gamespot's Site Stats:

All:

Site Statistics
Coverage: 3DO, DC, DS, GB, GBA, GBC, GC, GEN, JAG, MAC, MOBILE, N64, NEO, NGE, PC, PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, SAT, SCD, SNES, WII, X360, XBOX
Last Article:9/24/2007
Number of All Reviews:9073
Number of All Other Articles:63299
Site's Avg Score for All: 6.8
Site's Avg Ratio For All: 67.6%
GR Avg Ratio for All titles this site has reviewed: 69.3%
Difference: -1.7%
Number of All Reviews Higher than the Average: 4026
Number of All Reviews Lower than the Average: 5047
Percentage of All Reviews Higher: 44.4%
Average Article Vote for All:3.7 Stars
Total Article Votes for All:29561
Total Hits for All Articles:3856101
Total Traffic sent to site from Reviews, News and Files since 4/27/02:15045974

Wii:

Site Statistics
Coverage: 3DO, DC, DS, GB, GBA, GBC, GC, GEN, JAG, MAC, MOBILE, N64, NEO, NGE, PC, PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, SAT, SCD, SNES, WII, X360, XBOX
Last WII Article:9/23/2007
Number of WII Reviews:82
Number of WII Other Articles:1157
Site's Avg Score for WII: 6.2
Site's Avg Ratio For WII: 61.8%
GR Avg Ratio for WII titles this site has reviewed: 63.9%
Difference: -2.1%
Number of WII Reviews Higher than the Average: 34
Number of WII Reviews Lower than the Average: 48
Percentage of WII Reviews Higher: 41.5%
Average Article Vote for WII:-- Stars
Total Article Votes for WII:70
Total Hits for WII Articles:0
Total Traffic sent to site from Reviews, News and Files since 4/27/02:15045979

XBox 360:

Site Statistics
Last X360 Article:9/24/2007
Number of X360 Reviews:255
Number of X360 Other Articles:3943
Site's Avg Score for X360: 7.0
Site's Avg Ratio For X360: 69.6%
GR Avg Ratio for X360 titles this site has reviewed: 70.8%
Difference: -1.2%
Number of X360 Reviews Higher than the Average: 116
Number of X360 Reviews Lower than the Average: 139
Percentage of X360 Reviews Higher: 45.5%
Average Article Vote for X360:3.5 Stars
Total Article Votes for X360:884
Total Hits for X360 Articles:547
Total Traffic sent to site from Reviews, News and Files since 4/27/02:15045988

PS3:

Site Statistics
Last PS3 Article:9/24/2007
Number of PS3 Reviews:59
Number of PS3 Other Articles:1619
Site's Avg Score for PS3: 7.3
Site's Avg Ratio For PS3: 73.2%
GR Avg Ratio for PS3 titles this site has reviewed: 73.7%
Difference: -0.6%
Number of PS3 Reviews Higher than the Average: 35
Number of PS3 Reviews Lower than the Average: 24
Percentage of PS3 Reviews Higher: 59.3%
Average Article Vote for PS3:-- Stars
Total Article Votes for PS3:53
Total Hits for PS3 Articles:0
Total Traffic sent to site from Reviews, News and Files since 4/27/02:15045991

As you can see, there seems to be a slight bias against the Wii but we really don't have much infomation to make that kind of conclusiong. I suspect that Gamespot has multiple reviewers who probably favour certain genres which may be under-represented on the Wii as compared to the XBox 360/PS3.

Now, I don't think that you can really pay too much attention to the review differences between games like Halo, Metroid, Bio-Shock and The Legend of Zelda because the difference in these games review scores largely comes down to personal preference; many 'core' gamers would give Metroid or Bioshock a slightly lower score for lacking online gameplay but for many gamers in the general public that is a small feature which is not important.

Wow... -2.1%... but seriously, all of us already knew that Gamespot is biased against the Wii, just like 1up. The solution? Don't visit that sites :)

To be fair....it's only 0.9% lower than the X360, which in turn is 0.5% lower than PS3 numbers.

Their always lower than anyone else, maybe they are just more negative on Wii controllers than other's, therefore giving them a lightly lower ranking. Not everyone is madly in love with Wii controllers. I know it's hard to understand, but that is the case with some.

But to be fair, their % average of higher review scores is in the middle of the X360 and PS3 numbers.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

There is always bias as it is just one persons opinion. In the end I am not sure why this matters so much to people. Just read around a few reviews and see if you see a pattern of things you may like or dislike. Hopefully Nintendo can get on the demo wagon as that to me is a good way to get more people to buy games. As someone else mentioned if you don't like their reviews there are plenty of other review sites to choose from that may be more in line with your taste.

I don't know why people care so much about what a site or magazine says about a game. I've never bought a game because I read it was good, or stopped buying one because it was said to be bad. I take the time to read what the game has in it, and maybe look at some video of it, but I never read reviews. Trust you own judgement and taste. You might be surprised.

I am Daemon. I am the Word.