By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Updated my Amazon Review of the PS3

I figured I would let you guys read it and see what you think.

*Updated* - 9/25/07

The PlayStation 3 (PS3) is a great console and with every firmware update Sony adds new features and modifies others making the overall console better and better. There are many people questioning the console wondering why it costs so much and is it worth it. Each and every feature grants its users functionality, entertainment, and experiences that is beyond what is expected from PlayStation Branded product. There are many thing that make the PS3 a must have console and here are some of the reasons why.

The online function for the PS3 is made using Sony's idea of keeping it a free user based network. Even though it is limited currently you can send messages to other users keep a buddy list, browse the internet using Sony's own internet browser, download music, movies, game demos, arcade games and more.  Sony is currently working on a social networking game, if you will, called Home that will be accessible both on your PC though a standard webpage similar to MySpace and the PlayStation 3 to enter the virtual world of Home.

As of this moment there is currently there are 87 games available for purchase at retail or for download off the PlayStation Network Store. Prices for downloads range from 3.99 to 39.99. There are also PS1 games that can be played on both the PS3 and the PSP if you own one. Don't worry though; Sony announced that there will be 200 more games released by the end of the year. There are even specialized media available for download; like Sony's full E3 2007 press conference and game trailers from the Tokyo Game Show and the Leipzig Game Convention.

If you want to make yourself feel good you can use the Folding@Home feature that helps the medical branch of Stanford University study protein stains from diseases in hope of finding a cure from everything ranging from the common cold or AIDs, cancer, and herpes. Recently thanks to the PlayStation 3's contribution a new protein was discovered that folds at the speed of one nano-second.

The price for the PS3 might seem to be a bit pricy but with the features and amount of games available it does justify spending 499 (60GB model) or 599 (80GB model/bundle) bucks but just to farther clarify the reasons to purchase this great piece of hardware here is some more features and explanations on the console’s price point and functionality.

The reason for the price currently being so high is because of the Blu-ray Disc drive installed in the console. You might be wondering why Sony would jam their format into a gaming console. It's for two reasons for this. They are making it so that you can watch movies High-Resolution all the way up to 1080p, and make it so that game developers have enough space to make a huge game without having to worry about discs changing or being limited by the amount of space.

So what can Blu-ray Disc do that rival High-Definition (HD) format HD-DVD or standard DVD's can't? HD-DVD has mostly everything Blu-ray Disc does but doesn't offer nearly as much space which can cause movie studios to limit the amount of HD content or special features on the disc. Blu-ray Disc also has a new feature available called Blu-ray Java which will allow the menus to look even better and enable HD picture in picture if a studio feels imposed to include the feature. Another key detail is that 6/8 Hollywood studios and most hardware manufacturers support Blu-ray Disc.

Another great feature is the internal Wi-Fi Adapter. This allows you to not have to either buy an external Wi-Fi adapter to make your gaming console have wireless internet and saves money on Ethernet Cables.

The HDMI port built in to the console is rated to run HDMI 1.3. Some will say "but the Xbox 360 Elite Edition has HDMI." Well there's a major difference, the Elite 360 only supports HDMI 1.2 which is greatly limited compared to HDMI 1.3 which supports 7.1 lossless-audio which is currently the best audio quality available. HDMI 1.3 also supports up to a 1440p resolution so once TVs manage to obtain the Ultra-High-Definition levels the PS3 will be able to at least play some of its smaller PlayStation Network Store downloadable games at that resolution.

Now finally the key advantage, the Cell Broadband Engine, the heart of the console. This processor is designed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM. The Cell is currently the most powerful processor to date, and basic desktop processors are expected to take another 4 or 5 years to match its power. The Cell has been rated to be 12 - 15 times faster than Intel's Core 2 Quad-Extreme.

There’s a good amount of titles released and going to be released this Holiday season. Each of the titles bring something to each of their specific genre making it so that if you’re a fan of the genre it’s a must buy. Here’s a list of some of the major titles out and coming out.

Folklore
Unreal Tournament III
Haze
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Eye of Judgment
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
SingStar
WarHawk Bundle with Bluetooth Headset
Heavenly Sword

With this amount of content and games being released, and features abroad there is no reason to not buy a PlayStation 3.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Nice SSJ! I appreciate a lot of your posts, and this is a particularly good one.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
Nice SSJ! I appreciate a lot of your posts, and this is a particularly good one.

Thanks, I do take an unbiased stance when I want to go into journalist mode, its more professional, even though I quit PSU.com.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

any more opinions?

The last sentence "With tons of massive titles coming out in the next few years there is no reason to get a PS3 now" is kinda "Ouchie", isn't it?

Around the Network

"Now finally the key advantage, the Cell Broadband Engine, the heart of the console. This processor is designed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM. The Cell is currently the most powerful processor to date, and basic desktop processors are expected to take another 4 or 5 years to match its power. The Cell has been rated to be 12 - 15 times faster than Intel's Core 2 Quad-Extreme."

You've got to be kidding

But whatever, only an idiot would buy a console based on power

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

ssj12 said:
Bodhesatva said:

Thanks, I do take an unbiased stance when I want to go into journalist mode, its more professional, even though I quit PSU.com.

Why did you quit PSU.com?

sieanr said:
"Now finally the key advantage, the Cell Broadband Engine, the heart of the console. This processor is designed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM. The Cell is currently the most powerful processor to date, and basic desktop processors are expected to take another 4 or 5 years to match its power. The Cell has been rated to be 12 - 15 times faster than Intel's Core 2 Quad-Extreme."

You've got to be kidding

But whatever, only an idiot would buy a console based on power

The PS3 is not like a PC, when a game like Doom in the past was released many upgraded to the latest and greatest specs, the same so when for example Quake was released and so forth.

Constant one or two year upgrades is not an option for consoles, so for the long run it's IMO good to set great enough specifications with an eye on the future. The PS3 targets a different kind of consumer than for example the Wii does, for the PS3's market segment system power is far more important. Anyhow Sony still offers the PS2 which is cheaper and games like God of War 2 are still amongst the most impressive games available.

BTW, a nice review ssj12.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I liked that you explained HDMI because many people don't realise there is a difference. Your review basically stated why I bought a PS3, even though I had bought a Wii recently and already have a great gaming PC.

You made me want a PS3 more than I did! I actually want all three this gen compared to last gen where the GC [and the PS2] totally made me more than happy.

I'm still afraid of buying an Xbox360 because of the RRoD thing :(

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers