By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would it take for you die hard Sony fans to switch over to Microsoft?

If MS bought Naughty Dog and Team Ico from Sony, Insomniac and sucker punch switched sides, MS made better hardware that wasn't a brick/faulty/loud, and they switched up their pricing strategy from forcing you to pay money all the time for little things.

Around the Network

I own all 3 consoles and I just find Sony has that quality to its machine that makes it better than Microsoft. I find that Microsoft just kind of threw the 360 together and don't really want to make improvments to it that aren't the best financial decisions, but make people more happy (such as making the 360 run quieter. It gets annoying after a while. My PS3 is silent).

I think every year Sony brings a quality lineup to its console that are balanced with sequels and new IP's and now how to market new IP's as well. I think Microsoft that when they find a franchise that makes money, they exploit it (ala Halo series which is great, but Halo Reach makes the 6th game in the series if you count Halo Wars) and that's not a bad thing, but Sony knows when its time to bring franchises to an end whether its creatively or financially.

I don't know, it seems that the Sony Computer Entertainment games that I have purchased have ALL been fantastic in one way or another. Microsoft...is more hit and miss. I like to have that reliablity.

360 is a great console, but i think there's more time and effort put into the PS3 which makes it the best with the 360 at a close second

Currently Playing: God of War Collection

2010 Anticipations PS3: MAG, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Last Guardian

2010 Anticipations 360: Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, alan wake, halo reach, fable III, fallout: new vegas

2010 Anticipations Wii: zelda

I will never switch thats just an stupid thing to do. Eventually I'll purchase a 360, but only when the red ring of death problem has been completely ironed out (I'm a collector so I rather system that will last after they stop making them).

PSN- vykk8930    currently playing RE5 Mercenaries

Grooski said:
Squilliam said:
Its not one sample. My statistics textbook tells me that I can apply the central limit theorem because I feel that a sample of 80 adequately represents the population of 40GB PS3s at large. The only issue is precisely how accurately he reported the information, so the real problem is not the representativeness of the sample but how accurately twesterm measured it.

I had a good laugh. Applying a sample of 80 to gain insight into a population of approx. 14-15mill??? May I suggest you re-read that textbook again from cover to cover and then come back and realise what an absolute idiotic assertion that is.

At 99% confidence level the failure rate of all 40Gb PS3s is 10% +/- 8.65 based on twesterns data. ie - could be anything.

Thats even assuming sample data is random and even legit.

See what happens when Kiwis try to read???

What Squilliam just did is exactly what VGChartz's owner does to produce the numbers that appear on this site.

I suggest you private message him saying the numbers on this site are an idiotic assertion, I'm sure the results will be mildly entertaining at least =)

And while I don't know about Kiwis trying to read, I do know about Kiwis trying to play football. Oh yeah.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy become exclusive to Microsoft.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
Bitmap Frogs said:
Grooski said:
Squilliam said:
Its not one sample. My statistics textbook tells me that I can apply the central limit theorem because I feel that a sample of 80 adequately represents the population of 40GB PS3s at large. The only issue is precisely how accurately he reported the information, so the real problem is not the representativeness of the sample but how accurately twesterm measured it.

I had a good laugh. Applying a sample of 80 to gain insight into a population of approx. 14-15mill??? May I suggest you re-read that textbook again from cover to cover and then come back and realise what an absolute idiotic assertion that is.

At 99% confidence level the failure rate of all 40Gb PS3s is 10% +/- 8.65 based on twesterns data. ie - could be anything.

Thats even assuming sample data is random and even legit.

See what happens when Kiwis try to read???

What Squilliam just did is exactly what VGChartz's owner does to produce the numbers that appear on this site.

I suggest you private message him saying the numbers on this site are an idiotic assertion, I'm sure the results will be mildly entertaining at least =)

And while I don't know about Kiwis trying to read, I do know about Kiwis trying to play football. Oh yeah.

Then anyone who has ever done basic Stats 101 will laugh at both Squilliam and this sites figures if that is the case. I sincerely hope, for the benefit of all the fanboys arguing about the figures, that it isn't.

I also wonder if the Kiwis are so good at football, just how many World Cups they've won? Ohh yeah

Grooski said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Then anyone who has ever done basic Stats 101 will laugh at both Squilliam and this sites figures if that is the case. I sincerely hope, for the benefit of all the fanboys arguing about the figures, that it isn't.

I also wonder if the Kiwis are so good at football, just how many World Cups they've won? Ohh yeah

We affectionally refer to it as the "elephant in the room".

As for Kiwi's and football, either I am misreading you or you are misreading me... but let's just say there's something happening in south-africa right now :D

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Torillian said:
Squilliam said:
Torillian said:
Squilliam said:
Torillian said:

Where did Twesterm mention this?  And what sources is he using?

He mentioned it a few weeks back and the source being himself.

Oh well there we go.  lol

I don't see anyone else with a knowledge of the fate of 80 consoles of the same year/model whom I trust as a source. Is there anything wrong with taking his personal experience as a strong indication of the reliability of the 40GB PS3? I haven't really seen any real source that beats it really.

Oh come on Squilliam, you know what one person's experience is in statistics.  Absolutely meaningless.  Twesterm's personal experience can just be negated by someone else who didn't have troubles. 

Yeah, I don't assume my personal experience means one in eight PS3's will fail, I just generally bring up my experience when people try to tell me that PS3's don't break.

twesterm said:
Torillian said:
Squilliam said:
Torillian said:
Squilliam said:
Torillian said:

Where did Twesterm mention this?  And what sources is he using?

He mentioned it a few weeks back and the source being himself.

Oh well there we go.  lol

I don't see anyone else with a knowledge of the fate of 80 consoles of the same year/model whom I trust as a source. Is there anything wrong with taking his personal experience as a strong indication of the reliability of the 40GB PS3? I haven't really seen any real source that beats it really.

Oh come on Squilliam, you know what one person's experience is in statistics.  Absolutely meaningless.  Twesterm's personal experience can just be negated by someone else who didn't have troubles. 

Yeah, I don't assume my personal experience means one in eight PS3's will fail, I just generally bring up my experience when people try to tell me that PS3's don't break.

yep, and that conclusion is perfectly legitimate.  They definitely do break, that's indisputable.  Silly that people would try to argue that it has 100% reliability since no electronic product has ever had that, but I guess I shouldn't be that surprised since this is the internet.

I got a 360.... and it stopped reading my game discs a couple of weeks ago :( my launch model PS3 still works tho :) My point being that if Sony and microsoft combine and make a MEGA Monster... than imma get another MS console :)