By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - “Wii is Monopoly Box Stuck in the Closet”

It looks like THQ was on to something when they called Wii a "Monopoly box in a closet". Malstrom explains why it's really a 'Nightmare' for 3rd parties as well.

Sean Malstrom said:

From the beginning to the PlayStations, game consoles were seen as game consoles. The first party drove out the installed base, molded the hardware, and third parties jumped on board to sell to that installed base.

Ever since the PlayStations, game consoles cease to exist in publishers’ eyes. There are no more game consoles, there are only platforms. What differentiates the platforms are not gameplay differences that hardware offers. No. It is demographics, it is cultures, it is gobblygook.

When the consumer sees the Wii, they say, “Ooohhh, motion controls!” When a third party publisher looks at the Wii, they say, “Ooohhh, demographics and Wii-Sports clones!” They do not see motion controls. Or rather…

The consumer sees the Wii and goes, “Wow! Motion controls! I wonder what type of new games will be made! This is wonderful!”

Third Party publisher: “I hate motion controls! Is Nintendo deliberately trying to prevent me from porting my game over?”

Third Parties, as has most of the game industry, have forgotten the difference between consoles and platforms. The consumers, however, have not. They recognized the Wii immediately for being a console instead of trying to establish a ‘platform’. This is why the more Nintendo differentiates the Wii from the ‘platforms’, the greater sales it enjoys.

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/wii-is-monopoly-box-stuck-in-the-closet/

He later goes on about how every "non-casual" game the wii gets contain every hardcore cliche and are either too weird or too generic.

Around the Network

Sorry, already posted a few hours ago.

@hsrob

I don't see it on the 1st or 2nd page. Link?

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=74711&page=8

@Pyudo

That's a different topic.

This is a Malstrom post on what THQ said.

Around the Network

Well then, Wii is the most monopoly I have ever played - and the most fun I've ever had playing monopoly....  And "closet" means "entertainment center".

who is malstorm and why should I care about some blog entry..it's a blog.

I can look around and get another dudes opinion on blogs....so eh *shrug*

@Ryudo

Only one of the few who predicted the Wii's success. (When everyone else completely ignored and dismissed Nintendo)

Third Parties, as has most of the game industry, have forgotten the difference between consoles and platforms. The consumers, however, have not. They recognized the Wii immediately for being a console instead of trying to establish a ‘platform’. This is why the more Nintendo differentiates the Wii from the ‘platforms’, the greater sales it enjoys.

My lord  this's the second thing that I agree with Malstorm the same day (the first one was the Natal thing) It's a sign of the Apocalypse?

already posted but back to OT i think this article is well written and i agree with it.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!