By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Time Magazine writes about Natal

The 3DV company they bought made cameras under $100 and the other company they supposedly bought makes chips for $20, so I don't really see a $200 camera.

Around the Network
matt247 said:
The 3DV company they bought made cameras under $100 and the other company they supposedly bought makes chips for $20, so I don't really see a $200 camera.

i also see 120 gig HD's for under 40 bucks, but i see xbox 360 120 gig HD's for 100+.

Wii iz doomz Extra Extra Extended Edition

That's 4 E's!!!!

But the wii got here first, and this will take a while to get going, so nintendo dont have too much to worry about right now....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

RolStoppable said:
matt247 said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-project-natal-hands-on
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/989/989269p1.html
http://kotaku.com/5275204/testing-molyneuxs-milo-a-virtual-boy-with-yes-a-dog

There's more articles around, it's kind of difficult finding them because there is so much news

Thanks. There's much better information in those links than in this Time Magazine article.

Now, he says, we're going to train Milo to recognise me. I'm told to smile and frown to start the process off, and I try to make things easy for Milo by exaggerating my expressions like a gurning champion at a rave. "That's too much," says Molyneux. "You don't smile and frown like that in real life, do you?" He clearly hasn't seen my Facebook page.

I tone it down a bit and sure enough, Milo jumps off his swing and walks towards me. "You OK?" he says.

It's unnerving, there's no doubt about it. Instinctively I reply, "Yes, thank you. How are you?"

"Wearing black, I see. It suits you." He's not wrong. About the first bit, anyway. But once the shock of Milo noticing this wears off, I realise he hasn't answered my question. Perhaps this is one of the tricks used to make you think he's real; and they are indeed tricks, as Molyneux is happy to admit.

I try another direct question. "Have you had a nice day, Milo?" He smiles and nods, so I go for something more complex. "Did you enjoy Microsoft's E3 conference?" He's non-committal. "Are you looking forward to the rumoured unveiling of the PSP tomorrow?" Milo nods. The truth is though, he doesn't really know what I just asked. He understood I was asking a question by listening to the tone of my voice, but he didn't understand the words. Knowing that doesn't make the whole thing much less unnerving, though.

--------------------------------------

basically confirms what i figured - the thing works kind of, just not in the way it was presented.

Around the Network

I'm not looking forward to this at all.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Sky Render said:
FootballFan said:
Its apparently going to be $200 which is resonable if there is enough games to support it. If there isnt then its not going to be popular at all.

You'd seriously pay $200 (half the price of the console at launch and almost the price of the console today) for a controller, just because it has a camera interface?  That's... kind of messed up.

Since it will most definately be packaged with a game... Rockband says, "Hi!"

And as others have asked, where did this price tag come from?

noslodecoy said:
Sky Render said:
FootballFan said:
Its apparently going to be $200 which is resonable if there is enough games to support it. If there isnt then its not going to be popular at all.

You'd seriously pay $200 (half the price of the console at launch and almost the price of the console today) for a controller, just because it has a camera interface?  That's... kind of messed up.

Since it will most definately be packaged with a game... Rockband says, "Hi!"

And as others have asked, where did this price tag come from?

I must be the only one that heard them say upon release Natal will be included with every new Xbox 360. I doubt it will be very expensive if it is going to be a pack in.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Helios said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

But that happened to Nintendo as well, they had to add the Motion Plus to the standard Wiimote. This is a testbed for Natal 2.0 that'll debut with the 720.

I think the real difference here is how they are doing it: Nintendo hybridized the traditional control with the casual appeal of motions while Microsoft is building a wall between both worlds. Looking forward we'll see Nintendo building bridges between the casuals and traditional gaming while Microsoft will keep everyone on different rooms.

Exactly. Natal is interesting, and it certainly will find its uses, but it will never be able to play 'traditional' games - not without some kind of controller interface. Nintendo realized that with the Wii, but Microsoft apparently did not.

How will Natal enable you play a first person shooter, or action game, or just about any game where you move in a 3D space? It simply won't. By itself it will only be truly useful for simulations and quirky little minigames, like the ones they showed at the conference. Granted, I assume it will be able to function in tandem with the Xbox controller, and then things might get interesting, but doesn't that defeat the point of the so-called 'interface-revolution'?

Nintendo's biggest fear is, in other words, a loss of PR, rather than the Natal itself. This particular article is so poorly written and obviously biased that I will not comment on it, but if this sentiment prevails among the press (and, ultimately, the public) it might mean something, though frankly I don't anything can change the outcome of the 'console war' at this stage.

Yeah... the question is, once casual customers realize they can waggle through minigames both on Nintendo and Microsoft platforms, what will they chose?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

"In fact it may just kill the Wii"... Lol, I stopped reading there.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046