By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PSP Go sales be seperate from PSP sales?

RPG said:
It's just a hardware revision so I doubt it however I do think we will be seeing this console being tracked seperately in Japanese trackers like Famitsu. It's DD only so I really do wonder how this will do.

The 3000 will still be available though so games should still be releasing as UMD discs.

But if VG Chartz doesn't track the digital sales of the PSP Go then the PSP will REALLY have low software sales in VG Chartz

Around the Network
DKII said:
No.

Alright, but how is the software for the PSP Go going to be tracked in VG Chartz, will it be tracked?

Zucas said:
Well it depends if they throw it off as a completely separate platform. DS Lite and DSi are selling at the same time but the differences are minimal. PSP GO (what a terrible name btw) and PSP 3000 have quite the differences too them. 

minimal? dsi removed gba card, added download content, added 2 cameras, added sd functionality, increased the sdram and gfx power, increased screen sizes, changed overall design and button placement (like power)..

i would say it probably the same or more different than the psp go (which just added a slider and removed umd while increasing internal memory)

prediction: wii to sell 150million console by end of 2010

yeah dsi changes are much more different. They will even have games that are incompatible with the other dses.

Zucas said:
Well it depends if they throw it off as a completely separate platform. DS Lite and DSi are selling at the same time but the differences are minimal. PSP GO (what a terrible name btw) and PSP 3000 have quite the differences too them.

Personally, my big question is how many retailers are really going to want to carry this. No UMD drive means no way to sell the software. When companies, especially like Gamestop who make fortunes on used games, this is kinda a slap in the face to their business.

Will they even sell it? Will Sony have to give them a cut in the software such as cards or ways to sell it? Even further, is there going to be a lot of pissed of gamers who like to have boxarts and cases when they buy their games? Really, I think this is a really bad move and shows too much concern for the rising iPhone. They should have done something more like the DSi where it shows that while we think the iPhone is an issue, we aren't afraid of it and still show we are dominant when it comes to gaming.

I think you are forgetting the release of Patapon 2 in NA, where the game was download only, but retailers carried boxes with coupons inside, with codes that could be redeemed for the game to be downloaded. The game cost $15 for download only, but $20 when bought at retail.

EDIT: Of course, the used market will be affected, but retailers should still be able to sell some software.

Around the Network

DSi changes are minimal. They added some bells and whistles to the same concept.

Taking out the UMD drive is a huge switch. Now your telling your customer download and that's it. I consider that a much larger switch.

it would be nice to see how well it sells apart form the regular model but i dont think they will be tracked seperatly.

and to people saying how the downladable games will be tracked.
i have a feeling that they wont
well will proabably here from develpoers mentioning here and there if the games are selling well or not.

hello how are you.

@zucas
at least the psp games will still be compatible.

You don't know how they will implement the download either. Would it be downloaded right from the store? Does every PSPGO! come with an independant converter?

SONY will probably keep track of DL sells for us

I guess this turned out to be real. Otherwise, we don't even know if it exist.

But it depends on how different they are. The DS versions have all been the same. If this is a totally different system with unique games, then I'd say yes.