By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wants 70 percent third-party support for Wii

LordTheNightKnight said:
txrattlesnake said:
Shanobi said:
txrattlesnake said:

Well, tough for them because they won't be getting it and if they do it will be due to multiplat (and most likely the weakest ports of the multiplat games like they already get). The only way they could get a little more would be by opening their coffers and giving some of the Wii profits to Western third party developers, but going back to the Nintendo Seal of Quality days that's not the way Nintendo operates (what I'm saying is they generally have demanded obeissance from the third parties, but the western third parties that are making up the largest part of development today want obeissance from the console makers instead).

And most of these Western third parties will be more interested in shifting their efforts to working towards the first next gen console to be announced (especially if its from Microsoft) rather than making Wii games.

You must be referring to Shaun White Snowboarding, which was "the weakest" if I am following you rightly. Also, now a Wii exclusive as far as the sequel is concerned.

No, I was referring to 90% of the third party games out there that have higher review scores and much better sales on the other systems.  The first one that comes to mind would be Call of Duty 4 then Call of Duty:  World at War.

One wasn't released on the Wii at all, and the other ignores the fact that the Wii lacked the previous game, which was the breakthrough game.

Exactly, but  I don't think they've announced CoD4, this year's biggest game, for Wii either.

Around the Network
txrattlesnake said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
txrattlesnake said:
Shanobi said:
txrattlesnake said:

Well, tough for them because they won't be getting it and if they do it will be due to multiplat (and most likely the weakest ports of the multiplat games like they already get). The only way they could get a little more would be by opening their coffers and giving some of the Wii profits to Western third party developers, but going back to the Nintendo Seal of Quality days that's not the way Nintendo operates (what I'm saying is they generally have demanded obeissance from the third parties, but the western third parties that are making up the largest part of development today want obeissance from the console makers instead).

And most of these Western third parties will be more interested in shifting their efforts to working towards the first next gen console to be announced (especially if its from Microsoft) rather than making Wii games.

You must be referring to Shaun White Snowboarding, which was "the weakest" if I am following you rightly. Also, now a Wii exclusive as far as the sequel is concerned.

No, I was referring to 90% of the third party games out there that have higher review scores and much better sales on the other systems.  The first one that comes to mind would be Call of Duty 4 then Call of Duty:  World at War.

One wasn't released on the Wii at all, and the other ignores the fact that the Wii lacked the previous game, which was the breakthrough game.

, but  I don't think they've announced CoD4, this year's biggest game, for Wii either.

Fixed. There is no "exactly". You can't make evidence proving you wrong to be the opposite. In order for CoD4 to prove those games don't sell on the Wii, it would have to have BEEN ON THE WII, to not have sold well. It wasn't, therefore claiming "exactly" just shows you didn't pay attention to what I wrote.

And WaW on the HD consoles followed 4. In order for WaW to count as a reasons those games don't sell, it would have to have followed 4 on the Wii, and it DIDN'T.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

to be honest i think weve reached the shift to wii already. publishers are showing that they will give the HD consoles multiplats and exclusives to the wii. as a general rule of course. This is happening with sega, capcom, EA even ubisoft. plus there are other companies like Xseed/Rising Star/MMV who focus almost solely on wii and DS exclusives

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

woopah said:
to be honest i think weve reached the shift to wii already. publishers are showing that they will give the HD consoles multiplats and exclusives to the wii. as a general rule of course. This is happening with sega, capcom, EA even ubisoft. plus there are other companies like Xseed/Rising Star/MMV who focus almost solely on wii and DS exclusives

This would be something, but Marvelous is the person out of that bunch who actually makes games. Besides, they have two or three PSP games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

woopah said:

Yes, it appears so. A lot of wii owners also bought other consoles. If they can't buy the games on those consoles, they must buy it on the wii. Exclusives work in the favor of the wii, so it gets a unique portfolio. It seems like more and more developers are truly using the system as Nintendo invisioned. Let''s hope, it holds up. I know, a dangerous thing to do. I'm even seeing a shift in any 'standard' wii comments i read: year ago - 'stupid kiddy console' > 6 months ago - 'Wel, I can dust my wii off' > yesterday - 'Looks like i might have to get a wii' and even these - the 'why not on any HD consoles'.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

I think the goal is a bit too lofty. What Nintendo has to do to accomplish this goal is make third party developers more successful on their platform. That means Nintendo will need to revamp its marketing. They will also need to provide financial incentive to third party titles to prove the concept. They will need to develop a core mature lineup.

Right now I do not see Nintendo pushing the console as more then a family/casual console. Further more I do not see Nintendo offering to fund third party development, and I do not see Nintendo churning out new mature franchises. All of these would be counter to precedent and their corporate culture.

Doing the things necessary wouldn't even be prohibitively expensive. Building at least a few mature franchises is something Nintendo absolutely needs to do regardless. They need to avoid getting relabeled the kiddie console. They need to maintain a core demographic regardless. They need to start developing procedures for procuring high end third party exclusives regardless. So it is not like it would be money that Nintendo would not have to spend. I am just not counting on Nintendo knowing it has to spend the money or for them to even see the need.

"Nintendo wants 70 percent third-party support for Wii"

No they don't or they wouldn't have built such a console. No, they won't.

Dodece said:
I think the goal is a bit too lofty. What Nintendo has to do to accomplish this goal is make third party developers more successful on their platform. That means Nintendo will need to revamp its marketing. They will also need to provide financial incentive to third party titles to prove the concept. They will need to develop a core mature lineup.

Right now I do not see Nintendo pushing the console as more then a family/casual console. Further more I do not see Nintendo offering to fund third party development, and I do not see Nintendo churning out new mature franchises. All of these would be counter to precedent and their corporate culture.

Doing the things necessary wouldn't even be prohibitively expensive. Building at least a few mature franchises is something Nintendo absolutely needs to do regardless. They need to avoid getting relabeled the kiddie console. They need to maintain a core demographic regardless. They need to start developing procedures for procuring high end third party exclusives regardless. So it is not like it would be money that Nintendo would not have to spend. I am just not counting on Nintendo knowing it has to spend the money or for them to even see the need.

So what you're saying is that Nintendo should be more like Sony and MS? I think they'd rather stay the way they are, as in actually making money.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

This is all about Nintendo having a goal. It thinks it should get just as much third-party attention as the other consoles.

It also shows that Nintendo hopes to replicate the DS success with the Wii -- so it is using the same model (which included a first-party lull akin to what the Wii experienced in the last year).

I think third-parties are starting to catch on a bit. I also think Nintendo needs to realize that the console market is a bit different than the handheld one.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
This is all about Nintendo having a goal. It thinks it should get just as much third-party attention as the other consoles.

It also shows that Nintendo hopes to replicate the DS success with the Wii -- so it is using the same model (which included a first-party lull akin to what the Wii experienced in the last year).

I think third-parties are starting to catch on a bit. I also think Nintendo needs to realize that the console market is a bit different than the handheld one.

Mike from Morgantown

Agree completely Mike from Morgantown. I think in the Home console arena you do have to provide more finanical incentives for developers cause the cost is higher for development. When you have games on iPhone, for example, selling for 99 cents(granted some per level, lol) you know the overhead to develop that game has got to be low...

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?