By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wants 70 percent third-party support for Wii

"Beyond its drive to increase third-party population alongside its own Nintendo-led titles, the Japanese gaming giant has also repeated its pledge to integrate more software titles for ‘core’ Wii owners in order to help maintain consumer attraction for the system."

Here...

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
"Beyond its drive to increase third-party population alongside its own Nintendo-led titles, the Japanese gaming giant has also repeated its pledge to integrate more software titles for ‘core’ Wii owners in order to help maintain consumer attraction for the system."

Here...

No, it's not there. You stated that Reggie is going to ask for support. "drive to increase" does not imply that is the method the drive will use. And the second sentence seems to imply Nintendo is working on core games (themselves or by others), not about asking for support.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

That would be nice.

basically that just means Nintendo is going to release fewer games because their main titles are generally much better than what general 3rd party can spit out of their asses, though that's probably going to be old news by next year with more devs starting higher budget cycles for Wii.

txrattlesnake said:

Well, tough for them because they won't be getting it and if they do it will be due to multiplat (and most likely the weakest ports of the multiplat games like they already get). The only way they could get a little more would be by opening their coffers and giving some of the Wii profits to Western third party developers, but going back to the Nintendo Seal of Quality days that's not the way Nintendo operates (what I'm saying is they generally have demanded obeissance from the third parties, but the western third parties that are making up the largest part of development today want obeissance from the console makers instead).

And most of these Western third parties will be more interested in shifting their efforts to working towards the first next gen console to be announced (especially if its from Microsoft) rather than making Wii games.

You must be referring to Shaun White Snowboarding, which was "the weakest" if I am following you rightly. Also, now a Wii exclusive as far as the sequel is concerned.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

My bad, I thought pledge had a different meaning. English is not my first language. I now browsed for the word and ralized it means promise, and not beg like I thought.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
My bad, I thought pledge had a different meaning. English is not my first language. I now browsed for the word and ralized it means promise, and not beg like I thought.

In that case, I can see why we've had some misunderstandings. If I think you're interpreting something wrong, I'll try to ask nicely what you think it means, rather than be confrontational (which I have a bad habit of doing).

BTW, what is your first language? Where are you from?

(you can PM me if you don't want to put that on this thread)

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

In raw numbers of released games the Wii is probably not that far from 70% already ...

To get this kind of support from legitimate third party publishers is not too much of a stretch either. If you convince a publisher (Like Ubisoft) to devote the resources from a big budget HD game towards the Wii it can result in multiple games being released for the Wii; consider that it has been said that producing a similar game on the Wii is 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of a HD game and a typical game on a console can be as little as 1/4 the development cost of a big budget game, so a single big budget game could be converted into a big budget Wii exclusive, a couple of games with more moderate budgets, and quite a few low budget titles.

Shanobi said:
txrattlesnake said:

Well, tough for them because they won't be getting it and if they do it will be due to multiplat (and most likely the weakest ports of the multiplat games like they already get). The only way they could get a little more would be by opening their coffers and giving some of the Wii profits to Western third party developers, but going back to the Nintendo Seal of Quality days that's not the way Nintendo operates (what I'm saying is they generally have demanded obeissance from the third parties, but the western third parties that are making up the largest part of development today want obeissance from the console makers instead).

And most of these Western third parties will be more interested in shifting their efforts to working towards the first next gen console to be announced (especially if its from Microsoft) rather than making Wii games.

You must be referring to Shaun White Snowboarding, which was "the weakest" if I am following you rightly. Also, now a Wii exclusive as far as the sequel is concerned.

No, I was referring to 90% of the third party games out there that have higher review scores and much better sales on the other systems.  The first one that comes to mind would be Call of Duty 4 then Call of Duty:  World at War.

txrattlesnake said:
Shanobi said:
txrattlesnake said:

No, I was referring to 90% of the third party games out there that have higher review scores and much better sales on the other systems.  The first one that comes to mind would be Call of Duty 4 then Call of Duty:  World at War.

One wasn't released on the Wii at all, and the other ignores the fact that the Wii lacked the previous game, which was the breakthrough game.