By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wants 70 percent third-party support for Wii

Not sure if this has already been posted!

When it comes to the Nintendo GameCube, many in the gaming industry believe a lack of third-party software support played a pivotal role in the console’s failure against the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. And, while the Nintendo Wii is the leading home console of this generation, its makers appear keen to avoid losing traction through poor third-party selection.

More pointedly, with a mere 55 percent of all Wii software offered by outside videogame publishers, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has recently spoken of Nintendo’s desire to further increase that third-party coverage and add more genre variety to the overall Wii portfolio.

Offering up his comments in a Wall Street Journal interview, Fils-Aime said Nintendo is working to see the Wii’s third-party software percentage rise as high as 70 percent, which would bring the innovative motion-sensing console in line with Nintendo’s portable system, the dual-screened DS.

Beyond its drive to increase third-party population alongside its own Nintendo-led titles, the Japanese gaming giant has also repeated its pledge to integrate more software titles for ‘core’ Wii owners in order to help maintain consumer attraction for the system.

“In order to achieve high levels of sales of hardware, we need all genres in the market,” said Fils-Aime in the Journal report.   

While more third-party and hardcore titles can only benefit the Wii and should help its sales remain robust in testing economic times, Nintendo continues to resist the most obvious solution to the prospect of waning sales – a price cut.

According to Fils-Aime, better software variety will be enough to lure prospective hardware buyers and the Wii’s long-established price point of $250 USD isn’t about to be lowered any time soon.

“Price cuts are a short-term incentive,” insisted Fils-Aime. “In the long run, you need software to excite people.”

Source : http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200922/3763/Nintendo-wants-70-percent-third-party-support-for-Wii

Seems like a pretty good goal for me, probably a good idea for TP's as well!

Around the Network

Well, tough for them because they won't be getting it and if they do it will be due to multiplat (and most likely the weakest ports of the multiplat games like they already get). The only way they could get a little more would be by opening their coffers and giving some of the Wii profits to Western third party developers, but going back to the Nintendo Seal of Quality days that's not the way Nintendo operates (what I'm saying is they generally have demanded obeissance from the third parties, but the western third parties that are making up the largest part of development today want obeissance from the console makers instead).

And most of these Western third parties will be more interested in shifting their efforts to working towards the first next gen console to be announced (especially if its from Microsoft) rather than making Wii games.

I think hes saying that he wants Wii software to be 70% third party, not that he wants wii to get 70% of the third part market, that would be next to impossible!

txrattlesnake said:

Well, tough for them because they won't be getting it and if they do it will be do to multiplat (and most likely the weakest ports of the multiplat games like they already get). The only way they could get a little more would be by opening their coffers and giving some of the Wii profits to Western third party developers, but going back to the Nintendo Seal of Quality days that's not the way Nintendo operates (what I'm saying is they generally have demanded obeissance from the third parties, but the western third parties that are making up the largest part of development today want obeissance from the console makers instead).

And most of these Western third parties will be more interested in shifting their efforts to working towards the first next gen console to be announced (especially if its from Microsoft) rather than making Wii games.

Or so you hope that will be the case. It happened with the DS why not the Wii?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Sorry for the dbl post.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

The article seems to imply that Reggie wants to increase the percentage of Wii software made by third parties from 55% - 70%.

Well, I'm glad Reggie knows about the under represented genres on the Wii. I can be assured he and Nintendo are motivated to do something about that.

The article makes it very clear what it's saying. Obviously they don't expect to receive 70% of the total worldwide third-party support. That'd be an awfully stupid thing for them to say.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Arius Dion said:
txrattlesnake said:

Well, tough for them because they won't be getting it and if they do it will be do to multiplat (and most likely the weakest ports of the multiplat games like they already get). The only way they could get a little more would be by opening their coffers and giving some of the Wii profits to Western third party developers, but going back to the Nintendo Seal of Quality days that's not the way Nintendo operates (what I'm saying is they generally have demanded obeissance from the third parties, but the western third parties that are making up the largest part of development today want obeissance from the console makers instead).

Or so you hope that will be the case. It happened with the DS why not the Wii?

Well, I was mainly talking about Western third party development which makes up the largest percentage of the "talked about" games of today like the fifteen games that were presented on Spike's pre-E3 show tonight.  I believe they presented first looks at fifteen games and only one of them was a Wii game (and even its trailer concluded by saying it is also on 360, PS3, and Games for Windows).  Also, they didn't even mention one handheld game during the entire program.  And if you listened to the rhetoric during the show every single time they mentioned the three console developers you could tell their was a heavy bias because they always said "Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo."  They made it clear with their speach that they like Microsoft first, then Sony, and last Nintendo.

If Nintendo is interested in getting these developers to give them the same type of support that the PS2 and 360 receive, then they are just dreaming.

I think that rather than asking for more support, they either have to start making more games themselves or buying exclusives, it's as simple as that. Third parties aren't gonna make what they don't want to.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
I think that rather than asking for more support, they either have to start making more games themselves or buying exclusives, it's as simple as that. Third parties aren't gonna make what they don't want to.

What made you think Reggie said he was just going to ask? Where in that article does it state that?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs