By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
coolestguyever said:
Well my favourite is the value of online. PS3's is free and 360's is $60/year.

So if your one of the 200 people that still play only offline games then that doesn't affect you, but if you do then your cheap arcade is now $260, after 2 years its $320 and after 3 years (if you don't get RRoD by then) you've payed $380 for your arcade + online each year.

And if you plan on downloading...well anything you better upgrade your hard drive which is another, what $60? $80? I don't even know. It's something like that. I know the 120gb hard drive is over $100.

So yeah out of the box theres no question - The 360 arcade is half the price. And that's all parents see when picking a console for their kid's birthday/Christmas. But the smart people who look at the value of free online, blu ray, etc then the PS3 is better. I didn't even mention better games.

So what you are saying is that people look at the ps3 and think it doesn't hold up to the value? I think its a well known fact that it plays blue ray movies and has free online.  And the kids are telling there parents which console they want for the most part.  Most the people who buy ps3/xbox are not "kids" either. Sony advertises its perks over 360

Around the Network
Zezlar said:

Although I don't consider myself a Sony fanboy, I do consider myself a sony supporter. When these "fanboys" are saying that the PS3 is almost outselling the Xbox360 they technically aren't lieing.

Let's take this for example. For the Week ending of 02 May 2009.

Xbox 360 Hardware Sales: 111,542

Playstation 3 Hardware Sales: 106,089

Now I do agree it's unfair to say that ALL Xbox 360s sold are arcades, but it is likely that most are. So let's do an equation.

Let's say these are all 300 dollars because you do have the Pro and Elite SKUs too.

111,542 x $300 = $33,462,600 for Xbox 360.

It's also unfair to say all Playstation 3's sold are only the $400 consoles because there are the $500 SKUs as well.

106,089 x $450 = $47,740,050 for Playstation 3.

So if all that money was spent on Playstation 3s were used to buy Xbox 360s at the 300 dollar mark then...

$47,740,050 / $300 = 159,133.5 Xbox 360s  consoles would be sold.

Xbox may be leading in units, which ultimately is the real factor. More money is being spent by consumers on Playstation 3s. It's pretty amazing considering the $100 increase in price.

Now this is at least how I see it. Now don't mistake this post for me being a Sony fanboy because I do own both consoles and enjoy them both very much. The only console I don't like/enjoy is the Wii.

No you posted logic but the logic doesn't fit that way in this industry. Since you're a newbie and you seem bright I'm sure eventually the longer you stay here on VGC the better your understanding of why it doesn't work that way and why those numbers don't matter. A couple articles on revenue does not equal profit will help you out a bit.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

@rckrz

I never asked for an NES, Genesis, or DS but I received all of those. My GF never asked for an NES but she also got one. And my nephew (7 yr old) never asked for a 360, but he just got one for Xmas, and he had a ps2 before that, which he never asked for. Also, my gf's sister never asked for a wii, and I gave her mine.

In short, I don't know how well your argument holds up about children asking their parents. I think parents decide based on price, for the most part.

theprof00 said:
@rckrz

I never asked for an NES, Genesis, or DS but I received all of those. My GF never asked for an NES but she also got one. And my nephew (7 yr old) never asked for a 360, but he just got one for Xmas, and he had a ps2 before that, which he never asked for. Also, my gf's sister never asked for a wii, and I gave her mine.

In short, I don't know how well your argument holds up about children asking their parents. I think parents decide based on price, for the most part.

Maybe just me and everyone i know is spoiled then cause i was always asked what i wanted. but what % of total weekly sales do you think is parents buying there kid the console.  The average age for a 360/ps3 user is not 14 years old.  The vast majority of the people who are purchasing these conosles are of age to have a job and are  buying themselves the console.  Im well in my 20's now but i can't remember the last time mommy bought me something game related Maybe a ps1?  Maybe like when i was 14

rckrz6 said:

Maybe just me and everyone i know is spoiled then, but what % of total weekly sales do you think is parents buying there kid the console.  The average age for a 360/ps3 user is not 14 years old.  The vast majority of the people who are purchasing these conosles are of age to have a job and are  buying themselves the console.  Im well in my 20's now but i can't remember the last time mommy bought me something game related?  Maybe like when i was 14

haha maybe?

I thing I remember the average ps3 age is 17-30 and 360 is 7-16 or something like that.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
rckrz6 said:

Maybe just me and everyone i know is spoiled then, but what % of total weekly sales do you think is parents buying there kid the console.  The average age for a 360/ps3 user is not 14 years old.  The vast majority of the people who are purchasing these conosles are of age to have a job and are  buying themselves the console.  Im well in my 20's now but i can't remember the last time mommy bought me something game related?  Maybe like when i was 14

haha maybe?

I thing I remember the average ps3 age is 17-30 and 360 is 7-16 or something like that.

I do agree with that ps3 figure but def not the xbox one.  There are a fair  share of annyoing 11 yr olds on live but id say mostly 14-20's.  The older age average of the ps3 is due to blue-ray play back.  a 13 yr old is not going to care about blue ray movies.  I do find the whole xbox live avatar and dashboard childish though

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stateofvgamer_040609_fnl1.pdf

according to nielsen, 360 is 12-17, and ps3 is 25-34

Be Prepared for who you might run into  <---- Click It.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

theprof00 said:
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stateofvgamer_040609_fnl1.pdf

according to nielsen, 360 is 12-17, and ps3 is 25-34

Yea everyone i know between 25-34 wants a ps3.  Infact ps3 is even more appealing to me (Im going to be 24 soon) but i have what my freinds have. thats just the way it works.  Im not trying to have 2 consoles until the price comes down, i can hold off on blue ray i guess.

But when consumers buy a product, half of them dont know what a hard drive, wifi, or rechargable battery packs. Also the Arcade version of 360 is the highest selling version, (over the pro).