By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the UK such a big gaming region sales wise?

I've got this theory...

The UK game market is smaller than you think.

Lots of european countries don't have their own localized amazon or other such sites. We have to use either the UK, French, German or US sites.

Most people I know use the UK sites because of the fast and cheap shipping.

I wonder how much of the total UK sale are sold to customers outside the UK.

btw: The same with blu-ray. I buy almost all my blu-ray movies from the UK.

Around the Network

Another point: One of the local shops selling games, videos etc, buy most of it's ps3 and 360 games from the US.
That is: NOT from the scandinavian distributors whom they by law should use.
The reason this shop (and others) buy from the US is because the games are about half the price in the US.
I really hate the policy in effect for most of Europe.
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo etc charge a lot more for their games in Europe, it's MUCH more than the VAT and shipping costs. And to prevent us from buying cheap from the US or other places, they give exclusive distribution rights to 1 company. Lots of shop/dealers do grey imports anyway to rise margins or to compete on price. There are no reason why games should cost more than in the US (+ VAT and some small charge maybe for localization of the game).

I always wonder about it whenever I import games from UK :)

Half my console games came from UK , and all my BR movies have been bought there except one (which came from amazon.com :D )

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Drop in Sterling won't lead to Xbox 360 Euro price changes

Microsoft has no plans to change the price points of the Xbox 360 in Europe to take into account the impact of the falling pound Sterling versus the Euro, which effectively makes the console cheaper in the UK compared to mainland Europe.

Additionally, there's little evidence that European gamers are taking advantage of the situation and importing consoles en masse, according to the corporation's VP for the Interactive Entertainment Business in the EMEA region, Chris Lewis.

"We're mindful of [the situation], but it's very hard to plan too far ahead as regards foreign exchange rate fluctuations," he said. "Sterling right now is in a different place right now versus the Euro and the Dollar, and the Yen - so that which you allude to, you'd start to expect to see some the Sterling-based business hemorrhage out of the UK.

"Actually we're not seeing that much of it - we have a look at it a couple of weeks ago along those lines, trying to match our sell-in with our sell-through to see if there's a disparity there that might imply that stock is going elsewhere. We're not really seeing a lot of it at the moment - but that's not to say it won't start to happen.

"Do we then get into a flurry of price changes? No, I think we remain structured about it and we don't try and predict too far ahead what we think currencies will do. I think we're in a fine place as regards our price points anyway now, and I think the consumers are testament to that - they are flooding to the platform in a way that is even beyond our own expectation levels to be honest - which is great.

"Fortunately we've built sufficient inventory to give us the flexibility to accommodate those levels of demand versus our original plan, so we haven't had any stock shortages. We have sufficient stock to continue to cope with increased demand," he added.

Link

Given the number of video game outlets in this country must be huge compared to elsewhere now , and the sheer amounts of consoles and games sold to a much smaller population and the higher prices id say the uk market is massive to all the main players in the industry .  I rememeber reading somewhere last year the UK population will be close on 100m by 2050 , therefore is going to play an even bigger part in games sales and such like .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

Around the Network

Well it is still the second largest market, and sales should be boosted even more with the decline in pounds

I buy my games from Amazon.co.uk