By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo killed hardcore gaming

Another day, another cry baby.

How Nintendo killed hardcore gaming

The casual genre is killing hardcore gaming as we know it. We chart the rise of the mass-murderers: the Nintendo Wii and DS.

Chris Jager (Good Gear Guide) 23/04/2009 14:20:00 Tags: XBox 360, wii, PS3, nintendo ds, games consoles, games

link

I tried pasting the complete text but it just shows a flat wall of text. The link works though.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

nobody is gonna read that, make it readable.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Hardcore gaming is not.. and never was.. a fad.

but really... Everyone has heard people go on at length about the 'death of hardcore gaming' and how its Nintendo's fault. People should find something more original to write about.

that's a good Wii Bingo play, he even mentions Mad World.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Nintendo is ruining gaming!!! AAAHHHHH!!!!!! What a world. What a world. What a world... ahhhhhhh.... /movie

*Historical Info: I think I've found the first person to ever say this on the internet:

"I hope that this non-game virus will never, ever spread outside Japan. It's destroying gaming as we know it..." - jou @ May 24th 2007 7:42AM via Joystiq. 

Around the Network

I disagree with pretty much the entire article. Hardcore gaming isn't going anywhere.

I seriously doubt a company such as Square or Capcom would drop a huge amount of hardcore titles just to make software. Most of their sales come from Hardcore gamers such as myself.

And even so, The new "Casual" crowd Nintendo is bringing in with the Wii and DS a fair percentage of those people will want more hardcore games. There will always be a market for the Hardcore.

All Hardcore gamers started out casual, Nintendo is just ushering in the next wave of them.

He called Punch Out casual, screw him

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

can we just make a new rule to ban these doom/killing gaming topics.
It's beyond old now.

This is just getting boring...

Nintendo didn't kill "hardcore" gaming. It collapsed under its own weight, as people started to outgrow it while driving away most of the people who might have otherwise joined its ranks. So now, instead of the "hardcore" demographic growing, it is being replaced, and so much the better given the poisonous attitudes it held.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.