By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The day the PS3 overtakes the XBox 360 in total sales

Megadude said:
HEHEHE Red Sox's WS victory was almost as epic as when the Giants trashed the Patriots "perfect season".

OT: When If in the very unlikely event that the PS3 overtakes the 360 I will post this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfnVVIspY_s&feature=PlayList&p=117B312372132E04&index=1

Fixed for you

Around the Network

@ saicho

Can't you quote me instead of this in your sig?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will average sales of 15 million units for the next 8 years.

The exact quote from that thread would be:

"I anticipate around 10 million sales per year on average, until the release of a "PSThree", then I expect the PS3 to sell around 15 million on average.

So 2007 + 2008, about 20 million, I anticipate a slimline PS3 to launch somewhere in 2009. "

Note the PS3 sold about 10 million last fiscal year and Sony expects to sell around 13 million this fiscal year, if they think this is due to the launch of a potential PSThree later this fiscal year then their expectations seem to be perfectly in line with my personal expectations.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ saicho

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will average sales of 15 million units for the next 8 years.

"I anticipate around 10 million sales per year on average, until the release of a "PSThree", then I expect the PS3 to sell around 15 million on average.

So 2007 + 2008, about 20 million, I anticipate a slimline PS3 to launch somewhere in 2009. "

Note the PS3 sold about 10 million last fiscal year and Sony expects to sell around 13 million this fiscal year, if they think this is due to the launch of a potential PSThree later this fiscal year then their expectations seem to be perfectly in line with my personal expectations.

He is actually quoting me from that thread and I got it right.  Here is all of what you said.

So 2007 + 2008, about 20 million, I anticipate a slimline PS3 to launch somewhere in 2009. By the end of 2012 about 80 million sales. I do expect the PS3 to stay commercially available for much longer though, so by the end of 2016 about 140 million (triple the amount of 360s I anticipate for the long run).

Of course there are endless yet unknown factors. But I certainly expect the PS3 to go well beyond 100 million for the long run."

That thread was at the start of 2009.  You said, "by the end of 2016 about 140 million".  So, from the start of 2009 to the end of 2016 is approx eight years.

140 million - 20 million already sold = 120 million to go

120 million / 8 years = 15 million per year.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
MikeB said:

@ saicho

He is actually quoting me from that thread and I got it right.  Here is all of what you said.

So 2007 + 2008, about 20 million, I anticipate a slimline PS3 to launch somewhere in 2009. By the end of 2012 about 80 million sales. I do expect the PS3 to stay commercially available for much longer though, so by the end of 2016 about 140 million (triple the amount of 360s I anticipate for the long run).

Of course there are endless yet unknown factors. But I certainly expect the PS3 to go well beyond 100 million for the long run."

That thread was at the start of 2009.  You said, "by the end of 2016 about 140 million".  So, from the start of 2009 to the end of 2016 is approx eight years.

Thats Mike for ya.  He is king of the selective quote.  He is also the king of irony, accusing someone else of selectively quoting/mischaracterizing.  When in fact the sig in question clearly denoted it was a summarization by you (and it linked the original thread anyway).

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
MikeB said:

@ saicho

lol, dumbest shit i ever read.  I don't even think crazzyman would predict this.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

theRepublic said:
MikeB said:
The PS3 is currently tracking about 9 million units ahead of the PS1 taking equal timeframes (so IMO more than acceptable from a 10 years lifespan perspective), IMO it needs a drop in entry pricing and games like Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII available to push the 360 into the background, like I said so a couple of years ago.

A long time ago, I stated that I expect a slimline PS3 for 2009 and if the recent evidence holds up I might end up being correct. Maybe we'll also hear more information about these two crucial games at E3.

Where are you getting this data?  VGC only seems to have data for Japan for the PS1, and it doesn't look too good for the PS3 in that region by comparison.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS&reg2=All&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&weeks=156

Are you going to respond to this MikeB?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

johnsobas said:
theRepublic said:
MikeB said:

@ saicho

lol, dumbest shit i ever read.  I don't even think crazzyman would predict this.

In that same thread Crazzyman predicted an average of 20 million PS3s sold over the next 4 years.

Now Playing

where is this thread?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

kowenicki said:
the happiest day of your life....?

I suggest you actually get a life....

im sorry but that was funny and kind of true