By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The day the PS3 overtakes the XBox 360 in total sales

is the day noone really cares.... haha :)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
theRepublic said:
MikeB said:
The PS3 is currently tracking about 9 million units ahead of the PS1 taking equal timeframes (so IMO more than acceptable from a 10 years lifespan perspective), IMO it needs a drop in entry pricing and games like Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII available to push the 360 into the background, like I said so a couple of years ago.

A long time ago, I stated that I expect a slimline PS3 for 2009 and if the recent evidence holds up I might end up being correct. Maybe we'll also hear more information about these two crucial games at E3.

Where are you getting this data?  VGC only seems to have data for Japan for the PS1, and it doesn't look too good for the PS3 in that region by comparison.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS&reg2=All&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&weeks=156

Are you going to respond to this MikeB?

@theRepublic

Hey give Mike a break, it takes time to find the right selective quotes to mischaracterize a given situation to "beat" people.  And he is busy enough as it is at other sites as well:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=28162&forum=4&start=420&viewmode=flat&order=0#493702

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)

johnsobas said:
where is this thread?

Here is the thread.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=55254

It is a funny read, but you won't be able to post because it got locked.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

johnsobas said:
where is this thread?

It's all in your mind.

The Xbox will be crushed, it will just not be in this year, imho.

YOU...   WILL...   LEARN...   DISCIPLINE!

PlayStation 3 is soon to make you her bitch

theRepublic said:
johnsobas said:
where is this thread?

Here is the thread.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=55254

It is a funny read, but you won't be able to post because it got locked.

lol, 4-5 per year million in Japan seems right considering it is on target to sell about 1 million this year.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
PS3beats360 said:

That will be the happiest day in my life. So who is looking forward to this great defining moment?

I believe within 2 years PS3 will have overtaken the XBox 360 in console sales. Just you all wait and see. PS3 has more room to drop the console price over the coming years, it has more exclusive games, greater storage capacities with Blu-Ray and a longer future due to Blu-Ray being the long lasting media format.

I am so looking forward to the PS3 total sales overtaking 360 total sales. Many people just like me will be celebrating when PS3 overtakes the 360 and some of us will be saying: "I told you so"

PS3 and  following Sony is a religion to some, just like me.

And do you win a cookie if this happens?  You still haven't even surpassed the Wii.  So, the happiest day of your life will be when your console of choice gets to be second?

As far as longevity goes.  Why do you think disk storage is the only factor involved in the longevity of a system?  Things like the power of the graphics chips, CPU speed (and general all around processing capability), and memory have impacts also.  The PS3, even with Blu-Ray, could end up long in the tooth by say 2014.  And this is raw specs anyhow, and graphics, which the PS3 seems to depend upon.  When you go the generation after this one, it eventually will make the PS3 look like a Wii in comparison.

And your bolded comment is particularly troublesome.  Why can't you at least pick out a religion that promises you a form of immortality, instead of some corporate entity that is into maximizing profits?  There is potentially some monks somewhere who would consider yourself engaging in idolatry.  Instead of a golden calf, you have a BluRay disk.

Ok, now that I am off my soapbox, I just want to make sure my life works, and my budget, so I can get some cool PS3 stuff (inFAMOUS, Uncharted 2, and others) to join my 360 and Wii games.

theRepublic said:
theRepublic said:
MikeB said:
The PS3 is currently tracking about 9 million units ahead of the PS1 taking equal timeframes (so IMO more than acceptable from a 10 years lifespan perspective), IMO it needs a drop in entry pricing and games like Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII available to push the 360 into the background, like I said so a couple of years ago.

A long time ago, I stated that I expect a slimline PS3 for 2009 and if the recent evidence holds up I might end up being correct. Maybe we'll also hear more information about these two crucial games at E3.

Where are you getting this data?  VGC only seems to have data for Japan for the PS1, and it doesn't look too good for the PS3 in that region by comparison.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS&reg2=All&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&weeks=156

Comparing shipment data, the info can be found at: www.scei.co.jp

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
theRepublic said:
theRepublic said:
MikeB said:

Comparing shipment data, the info can be found at: www.scei.co.jp

You want to give us the link to the actual data or at least the translated page with the data?  I don't read Japanese, MikeB.

Sounds like you are trying to dodge the issue by giving a generic company link and make us try to find the info ourselves which may or may not exist.  Classic MikeB style, but I implore you to do better.  Please provide us with the actual info.  Obviously you took the time to translate the pages on Google and find the links if you had the numbers.

kowenicki said:
The most illuminating aspect of this thread..... ps3beats360 is almost 30 years old.... 30 years old!!! and yet the PS3 passing the 360 would be the happiest day of his life? My god. What a sad sad life.

No gf? no wife? no kids? Man you need to get some help... quick.

I'm beggining to think that maybe some people on here post from inside a secure unit.

That may explain PS3beats360.  But MikeB supposedly gets out, why just the other day he logged in right after going out drinking and posted a bunch of crap while drunk.    Whats his excuse?

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)

kowenicki said:
I have a very serious question... I am almost afraid of the answer...

What will PS3beats360 do if the PS3 stays in third and mahybe even falls further behind...

Please... everyone.... this is serious, no smirking, no giggling

Please allow him to respond to this in the serious and thoughtful way I know he can and we have all become used to.

Now......

Come on Nicki, you wouldn't be implying he might... Oh no that's terrible...

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)