By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Well, here it is. Heavy Rain gameplay from Pre E3 press event.

I think this is great. Reminds me of the old adventure games I used to play growing up, which sadly got destroyed by other genres like shooters and rpgs. Good to see them using that idea and taking it to another level.

Around the Network

I'll admit I'm intrigued. At the very least, the premise of a game targetted at adults rather than kids appeals, as there is an absolute derth of such titles.

This game will be fantastic !!!!

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Theoretically:

This is the first game for which I'm genuinely excited that's on an HD console this generation. It has a lot of potential.

Realistically:

I probably be heavily let down and the game will be heavily watered down and the guy's "adult orientation" probably pertains only to the one shot of the woman in her underwear and nothing more. Or it will be only a ridiculous amount of QTEs, or it will be the most boring story ever, or something. It is a console game after all.

P.S.

Graphics are extremely underwhelming this time around.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Yikes! I like the footage/feel of the woman in the house much better.

As for QTE I do not like them. There has got to be a better way of using controller than QTEs.

For example you could switch between modes using say R2 - one mode is investigate, changing all controls, another is combat. When in investigate you have controls to look, interact, etc. just like older adventure games.

When in combat you can roll, take cover, aim, shoot, melee, etc.

I'm convinced you do not need QTE to get a cinematic feel and flow without removing player interaction.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

I liked the looks of it but that death scene really bugs me. That was the most boring death cry i've ever heard. "ah"

vlad321 said:

Theoretically:

This is the first game for which I'm genuinely excited that's on an HD console this generation. It has a lot of potential.

Realistically:

I probably be heavily let down and the game will be heavily watered down and the guy's "adult orientation" probably pertains only to the one shot of the woman in her underwear and nothing more. Or it will be only a ridiculous amount of QTEs, or it will be the most boring story ever, or something. It is a console game after all.

P.S.

Graphics are extremely underwhelming this time around.

As much as I want to disagree with this, I can't. The game has a huge amount of potential, but I'm afraid it won't be realised; or, worse, everyone will claim it's been realised, but when I play it, I'll feel completely let down. We'll know soon, I suppose. I'm still hoping for the best, as the conceit really intrigues me.

Looks cool... the chat they had was very interesting. This made me want to get the game more :p

Check out my game about moles ^

http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=60&ch=1&sd=0 Gametrialers video

Reasonable said:
Yikes! I like the footage/feel of the woman in the house much better.

As for QTE I do not like them. There has got to be a better way of using controller than QTEs.

For example you could switch between modes using say R2 - one mode is investigate, changing all controls, another is combat. When in investigate you have controls to look, interact, etc. just like older adventure games.

When in combat you can roll, take cover, aim, shoot, melee, etc.

I'm convinced you do not need QTE to get a cinematic feel and flow without removing player interaction.

Do you remember the taxidermist gameplay demo? There are parts of the game where you control the movement of your character directly, and you are presented with contextual actions when you approach different items. In other moments, not so much and you're only offered contextual choices.

But really, this is not an action game. QTEs might work great or not, we'll know only with the game in our hands, but shoehorning things like melee and roll into an adventure game indipendently of the context looks like a big limitation. What if in a fight scene I want to give the option of parrying a punch with right arm then (more effective, but foregoing the chance to shoot), or with left arm. What "combat controls" will allow total freedom to the writers to put you in front of situations?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman