By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS

Tallgeese101 said:
play a PC game like Counterstrike with max_fps 60 and then 30. You will notice a difference.

But having a constant fps is by far the most important thing.

I couldn't agree more.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Deneidez said:
Sure, human can see difference between 30fps and 60fps. Btw, if you want to test it by yourself you can try my programs. You will see the difference quite easily.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=66343

(2D & 3D supported, just wait for those games ^^)

I just tried your 2D thing, and except for the square at the very top, all the others looked the same.

Try adding some speed(a and z buttons) for those squares and you will see the difference quite easily. Of course if your monitor can't handle more than 60Hz(=60fps max) in mode you are using it, two bottom ones will look like same.

Yeah, definitely having a constant fps is a must. I remember in Deadlocked on the PS2, most of the game was fine but there was this arena fight where every time I did it, I would start getting some really terrible lag. Like maybe 5 fps. Which is pretty noticeable when the rest of the game runs incredibly smoothly.

Deneidez said:
theRepublic said:
Deneidez said:
Sure, human can see difference between 30fps and 60fps. Btw, if you want to test it by yourself you can try my programs. You will see the difference quite easily.

I just tried your 2D thing, and except for the square at the very top, all the others looked the same.

Try adding some speed(a and z buttons) for those squares and you will see the difference quite easily. Of course if your monitor can't handle more than 60Hz(=60fps max) in mode you are using it, two bottom ones will look like same.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't 60Hz equal to 30fps?? Cause as far as i know 1Hz = 0,5 frame.

EDIT: You're right, 60Hz = 30fps (60fps max)

I noticed it immediately between MGS2 and MGS3, and MGS4 too. Yes, it does make a huge difference. I must admit, though, that it isn't very bad if the game doesn't need quick reactions. It's much less of a problem on consoles due to "slower", more inaccurate controls. Anyway, constant framerate is possibly even more important than high yet unstable framerate.

But yes, the difference is quite noticable and in some cases even important.

Around the Network

It depends on the game. For example, Fighters will be seem to slow down much more at 30fps than a say rpg.

Yes the human eye can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. That really isn't the problem though. Some serious obsessed gamers will insist that games MUST be at 60fps. That however is not entirely true.

Some games are generally written to perform and animate at a certain FPS while others work of timers to try and grab as much fps as possible.  When the FPS drops from the designed time the engine doesn't adequetly compensate and some times you get a form of stuttering. Where 2 frames it's constant while 3 jumps way ahead and 4 jumps way behind. When this happens it's a serious detraction from playing the game.

Older games were designed to animate as low as 7fps. This was no problem to play because everything moved at 7fps. Often these days though game performance is written with a minimum of 15-20fps acceptability. With technical show casing games at 30fps.

So as long as the fps is locked there will be no impact to game play and eventually players will get used to whatever the FPS is at.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

edjevink said:
Deneidez said:
theRepublic said:
Deneidez said:

just tried your 2D thing, and except for the square at the very top, all the others looked the same.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't 60Hz equal to 30fps?? Cause as far as i know 1Hz = 0,5 frame.

EDIT: You're right, 60Hz = 30fps (60fps max)

----

60Hz = screen will be refreshed 60 times per second

60fps = 60 frames are drawn per second

= all 60 frames will be shown

----

80Hz & 60fps = all 60 frames will be shown

80Hz & 100fps = only 80 frames will be shown and 20 of them are wasted, but still drawn

----

(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

"The hertz (symbol: Hz) is a unit of frequency. It is defined as the number of cycles per second."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

"Frame rate, or frame frequency, is the measurement of the frequency (rate) at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames. The term applies equally well to computer graphics, video cameras, film cameras, and motion capture systems. Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS) and in progressive-scan monitors as hertz (Hz)."

)

The highest selling FPS of this generation runs at 60, thats combined over two platforms. Other factors are -> Good online and split screen local multi-player which the other top selling shooters have. Its probably got some influence but its not the most important factor though, its probably enough to say that better graphics don't really influence things as much as people would like you to think.

Tease.

infamous8 said:
edjevink said:
yo_john117 said:
There's really not that big of a difference between 60fps and 30fps.

It just something fanboys use to argue with each other.

You're just joking, right? At least i hope you are, cause 60fps is so unbelievably smooth if you compare it to 30fps. Don't get me wrong, 30fps is fine, but you can't compare it with 60fps.

examples...?

Here you go.....The Following is DOA 2 for PS2 running at 60FPS

Released exclusively for the Japanese market (and to to be confused with DOA: Hardcore), Dead or Alive 2 is a faithful reproduction of the original arcade game of the same name. Initially designed on SEGA's NAOMI board, DOA2 features 14 different interactive environments, seven various game modes (including tag battle and survival), a 60FPS framerate, and additional lighting effects not found in the coin-op. Dead or Alive 2 also boasts all-new costumes, enhanced wardrobe textures, and is the only version of the game across all platforms not to include a "bounce gauge" for the female combatants.

http://s.ps2movies.ign.com/media/news/video/doa2/doa2hi_1.mov

And here is the DreamCast Version running at 30 FPS

http://s.dcmovies.ign.com/media/previews/video/doa2/doa22.mov

I could not find the Videos were I was able to tell the difference...