By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the charade of Wii casual THIRD-PARTY games slowdown or stop?

The PS2 is the king of crap games. It just comes with the territory. The most successful console will get a lot of good games and a ton of crap games.

Around the Network

Not really sure.

Its obvious that 3rd party kinda suck at using the wii to the best of its abilities but why would they really want to take a big game like Final Fantasy or Grand Theft Auto on hardware that really is lacking the juice compared to its 2 rivals.

They also don't understand the demographics to well, the hardcore Nintendo fans have not really embraced 3rd party the past two gens and the new blue ocean casuals are a huge unknown to them.

With wii play and sports selling as they do the 3rd party will try to do those type of games, they are cheep to make and the return can be so big huge. On the other side of things no matter what they make it wont be Mario or Zleda and it wont do their sales so they kinda just don't even want to bother trying.

Wii is quite the weird little machine, never had the console war had so many different variables. Hard to guess what anyone will do.

You mean parade? A charade implies they're hiding the good games or something...which I guess they could be...but still.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

publishers need to make 2-3 slash and burn cheapo casual games to finance thier hardcore offerings.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

To be fair, games like Cooking Mama, Trauma Center and Rayman Raving Rabbids are working out very well for third parties. There are a lot of "casual" games, but things that are unique and of good quality are standing out and selling well.

Of course it'd be nice if third parties only brought awesome games, but if they bring bad ones, who cares if they're "casual" or "hardcore"? Just don't buy them.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

^^ Yeah, their Xbox360 and PS3 hardcore offerings >:(

I am not entirely sure it will. Casual games tend to be cheap and shallow affairs and sales are not necessarily correlated with quality. As the Wii's userbase increases the probability of obtaining a profit through these types of games increases.

Why would a developer develop a 10 or 20 million dollar game when they could obtain similar or even greater sales creating something for a fraction of the cost? Considering the fact that the variability of cash flows will be lower with cheaper games, because of a reduction in risk, it makes sense to produce cheaper, shallower games from a financial standpoint. To some extent we already see this with the DS.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

Shovelware is what you get when you're #1.

I think we will see more games in 2008 for Wii
but I doubt they will be "hardcore" / "mature" games

Time to Work !

I don't think that this genre will receive less entries, but other genres will see more games so that the percentages will be different.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.