By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spielberg - Console platforms to go “the way of the Dodo bird”

NJ5 said:
Yeah, I think something like Onlive will eventually take off. But then there will probably be clusters of PCs running games at your local cable company central, which will eliminate the lag problems.

.. which would be fanatastic, as my cable provider now has a gigabit e download speed plan. Lagless online gaming!

Around the Network

The TV would require a computer built into it which brings up many issues with doing something like that. Each TV company would have their own hardware in the TV set, each competing to do the same thing that game consoles do now (allow game companies to make games and they'd collect the royalties). To have any sort of market penetration, people would have to replace all their LCD and Plasma TV's. Never mind the fact that each company would have many revisions of their own equipment to try and up sell you again.

The likely hood of this ever happening is 0%. We are more then likely going to see a few more generations of consoles. It just makes way more sense. People want easy to use, compact and power efficient equipment (or at least will). The PC is becoming an all in one little box. People aren't as interested in the highest spec machine as just about any PC will run the apps they need to use.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

You guys are assuming online gaming is the future. V_V

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Also TVs last a long time, I think the typical set takes about 10 years to be replaced and we probably won't have the tech for another couple of years so even the next generation of consoles will probably not even be phased by TV based gaming.

Tease.

^^ used to be that way, with the CRTs, HDTVs are prone to shorter life spans, especially plasma tvs

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Also TVs last a long time, I think the typical set takes about 10 years to be replaced and we probably won't have the tech for another couple of years so even the next generation of consoles will probably not even be phased by TV based gaming.

it happens so infrequently that i need to take a moment to say this outloud...

i agree with you. xD

I can't wait for the Nintendo Display to come out

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Uh oh...Spielberg's in a sci-fi mood again. Here comes another Minority Report or AI.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Wow, what a smart man. So, when our gaming systems brake down in our TV's we can send the whole TV back to repair them. Dedicated HW and electronics will always be better.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

kitler53 said:
Squilliam said:

it happens so infrequently that i need to take a moment to say this outloud...

i agree with you. xD

Wow, this pleases me greatly.

Tease.