By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai: I Think About PS3 Pricing Everyday

You gotta love Hus, lol. He is very funny.

Around the Network

They'll probably drop the price when MGS4 hits in early '08.

Pricedrop + MGS4 + GTAIV could sell a hell of a lot of units.

Kaz always seemed the best suited for the ps president, maybe he will lead them out of the whole they got themselves into.

mM
Darc Requiem said:
Ken Kutaragi's poor leadership and even poorer design choices have left Kaz Hirai holding the bag. It will be extremely difficult for the PS3 to fulfill all the grandeous proclamations that were made prior to launch. The systems overall design is what makes dropping the price so difficult. As I've said many times before, pricing will haunt the PS3 for the entire generation and will be one of the principal reasons that Sony finishes last this time around.

Well...to be honest, i think it is too early to jump to conclusions...life does allot of insane twists...

I would say that the PS3's future is in the hands of 08-09, if Sony fails to give on that timeframe, it is mostly dead, and most probably finishing last.

You are right about the hardware...I don't know what Ken Kuturagi wanted with the Cell, maybe he knows something we don't...

leo-j said:
Kaz always seemed the best suited for the ps president, maybe he will lead them out of the whole they got themselves into.

Yeah...It seems daddy Ken lost his touch  

x)

Around the Network
LeonGama said:
Darc Requiem said:
Ken Kutaragi's poor leadership and even poorer design choices have left Kaz Hirai holding the bag. It will be extremely difficult for the PS3 to fulfill all the grandeous proclamations that were made prior to launch. The systems overall design is what makes dropping the price so difficult. As I've said many times before, pricing will haunt the PS3 for the entire generation and will be one of the principal reasons that Sony finishes last this time around.

Well...to be honest, i think it is too early to jump to conclusions...life does allot of insane twists...

I would say that the PS3's future is in the hands of 08-09, if Sony fails to give on that timeframe, it is mostly dead, and most probably finishing last.

You are right about the hardware...I don't know what Ken Kuturagi wanted with the Cell, maybe he knows something we don't...

Kuturagi was and still is an excellent engineer. Sony's problem was that they put him in a leadership position. Without the necessary oversight, he'd do what any engineer would do. Built the best chip design he could with out regard to cost. Thats the PS3's ultimate problem and thats why its doomed to third. The PS design has gotten farther and farther away from what made the PS1 a success in the first place. The PS1 easy to develop for and extremely powerful at a reasonable cost. The PS2 was none of that but the DVD player being built into it allowed it to sell well enough for Sony to get away with their error. Instead of realizing that he was fortunate, Kuturagi saw the PS2's success as sign that complex design with great potential with multiple functions was the key to success. Yet, he underestimated the importance of affordable pricing.

The PS3's design will always be cost prohibitive in comparison with its competitors. This is why it will not catch the 360 nor the Wii. All those predicting otherwise are ignoring all the indicators of prior gaming history. 2008/9 will be too late for the PS3. It has to make significant progress this holiday or all Sony can hope for is a niche status until the PS4's arrival.

Darc Requiem said:
LeonGama said:
Darc Requiem said:

Kuturagi was and still is an excellent engineer. Sony's problem was that they put him in a leadership position. Without the necessary oversight, he'd do what any engineer would do. Built the best chip design he could with out regard to cost. Thats the PS3's ultimate problem and thats why its doomed to third. The PS design has gotten farther and farther away from what made the PS1 a success in the first place. The PS1 easy to develop for and extremely powerful at a reasonable cost. The PS2 was none of that but the DVD player being built into it allowed it to sell well enough for Sony to get away with their error. Instead of realizing that he was fortunate, Kuturagi saw the PS2's success as sign that complex design with great potential with multiple functions was the key to success. Yet, he underestimated the importance of affordable pricing.

The PS3's design will always be cost prohibitive in comparison with its competitors. This is why it will not catch the 360 nor the Wii. All those predicting otherwise are ignoring all the indicators of prior gaming history. 2008/9 will be too late for the PS3. It has to make significant progress this holiday or all Sony can hope for is a niche status until the PS4's arrival.

I agree with what you said and I wanted to expand on something ...

Earlier today I was reading an article online from someone who was at TGS where they basically said what many people have been predicting with the PS3's current rate of sales. The claim that was made was that third party publishers are not going to devote more resources to the PS3 until they have reason to believe that sales will improve in the future.

Now, if this is true, the claim is somewhat bitter-sweet for PS3 owners because you'd expect that development teams that had previously been allocated towards the PS3 will not be split up in the near future (they will finish development of PS3 projects and begin new PS3 projects) but you wouldn't expect the rate of releases to improve in the near future.

Unless something changes to make the PS3 much more attractive next year I wouldn't expect third party publishers to continue to be patient.

the number of games on PS3 is poor in japan but good here....10 months since release( 5 in Europe)and it has games as Heavenly Sword,Warhawk,NinjaGaiden Sigma,NHL08, The Darkness ,Sega Rally,Stranglehold,Resistence,Motorstorm,Oblivion,Virtua Fighter 5,Madden 08,Skate,Raibow Six Vegas ,GRAW2 ,Tiger Woods 08,Folklore,Hot Shots Golf ,Call of Duty 3,NBA Homecourt,NBA 2K,Lair ...etc etc

....better than the 360 last year and way better than Wii current library....

Diomedes1976 said:
the number of games on PS3 is poor in japan but good here....10 months since release( 5 in Europe)and it has games as Heavenly Sword,Warhawk,NinjaGaiden Sigma,NHL08, The Darkness ,Sega Rally,Stranglehold,Resistence,Motorstorm,Oblivion,Virtua Fighter 5,Madden 08,Skate,Raibow Six Vegas ,GRAW2 ,Tiger Woods 08,Folklore,Hot Shots Golf ,Call of Duty 3,NBA Homecourt,NBA 2K,Lair ...etc etc

Nice spin but most of those games are available on the 360 and the other haf are poor quality games.

Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are the only really decent games on that list that are exclusive to the PS3 and they don't compare to the 360 lineup at the moment but more and more games are being released for the Europe Sony fanbase.

jhlennon1 said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Nice spin but most of those games are available on the 360 and the other haf are poor quality games.

Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are the only really decent games on that list that are exclusive to the PS3 and they don't compare to the 360 lineup at the moment but more and more games are being released for the Europe Sony fanbase.

I agree, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword may be good, but they just can't go shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Bioshock,Halo 3,Metroid Prime 3 and SSBB...the only hope right now is Uncharted, if it lives up to the hype. Also Haze and UT3 (which are timed-exclusives...) but other than that....