By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai: I Think About PS3 Pricing Everyday

HappySqurriel said:

Allow me for the moment to talk about Gears of War ...

Gears of War is rapidly approaching the 5,000,000 unit mark and has been bought by (roughly) half of all XBox 360 users, and probably somewhere near 50% of the rest of XBox 360 owners have rented, purchaced used or stolen the games. It is a AAA game by anyone's definition ...

With such a huge game it is surprising that the XBox 360 just passed the 10 Million unit mark recently.

The reason I bring this up is that the PS3 may have games which sell amazingly well but this does not necessarily translate into high hardware sales. The percentage of gamers who are willing to spend $300+ on a system is very small, and that means that the PS3's userbase is going to be very limited until it drops below $300. The question is how many of the always impatient publishers are going to wait for the PS3 to build its userbase when their investors will be demanding healthy returns on investment today?

It also means that games like FFXIII and MGS4 could sell extremely well despite the low ps3 install bases. I figure most of the people that bought ps3s already bought them for MGS or FF anyway. 

Around the Network
jhlennon1 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
the number of games on PS3 is poor in japan but good here....10 months since release( 5 in Europe)and it has games as Heavenly Sword,Warhawk,NinjaGaiden Sigma,NHL08, The Darkness ,Sega Rally,Stranglehold,Resistence,Motorstorm,Oblivion,Virtua Fighter 5,Madden 08,Skate,Raibow Six Vegas ,GRAW2 ,Tiger Woods 08,Folklore,Hot Shots Golf ,Call of Duty 3,NBA Homecourt,NBA 2K,Lair ...etc etc

....better than the 360 last year and way better than Wii current library....

Nice spin but most of those games are available on the 360 and the other haf are poor quality games.

Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are the only really decent games on that list that are exclusive to the PS3 and they don't compare to the 360 lineup at the moment but more and more games are being released for the Europe Sony fanbase.

Nice spin but for PS3 owners that go to the shop to buy a game the fact the game has a version on the 360 is irrelevant.Most of 360 games are or will be on PC as well .You dont have a point .Aside of Lair (mixed reactions to this game) all the games I cited have received ratings above 80-85% so no ,no poor quality games.

jhlennon1 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
the number of games on PS3 is poor in japan but good here....10 months since release( 5 in Europe)and it has games as Heavenly Sword,Warhawk,NinjaGaiden Sigma,NHL08, The Darkness ,Sega Rally,Stranglehold,Resistence,Motorstorm,Oblivion,Virtua Fighter 5,Madden 08,Skate,Raibow Six Vegas ,GRAW2 ,Tiger Woods 08,Folklore,Hot Shots Golf ,Call of Duty 3,NBA Homecourt,NBA 2K,Lair ...etc etc

....better than the 360 last year and way better than Wii current library....

Nice spin but most of those games are available on the 360 and the other haf are poor quality games.

Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are the only really decent games on that list that are exclusive to the PS3 and they don't compare to the 360 lineup at the moment but more and more games are being released for the Europe Sony fanbase.

That Warkhawk and Heavenly Sword dont  compare to the games of the 360 is quite a subjetive vision .I have yet to see a 360 game that looks as good as Heavenly Sword .And the 32 multiplayer action of Warhawk and its graphics havent been matched in 360 games right now.Like it or not but these are the best in their genres right now ,and absolutely exclusive for the PS3 unlike most of the 360 lineup thats available on the PC as well .

I agree in the price issue some are stating ,though .I think the PS3 with all its extras can be competitive around 350 dollars ,but the current price is too high ,specially in Europe where the machine costs at the actual exchange some 850 dollars.Its a miracle it has been selling as it has and without too much new games until this month.

So if it is WAY better than the Wii library, why isn't it selling as good. Oh that's right, it isn't appealing to other gamers. No matter how many above average games the PS3 it has, they'll only appeal to a certain group of gamers and won't help the PS3's sales.

@leo-j

"@Happy squirrel

Remember that huge spike in xbox 360 sales in november? That was due to just one title Gears of war.

Halo 3 may do the same. The ps3 needs a huge shooter. Hopefully UT3 is amazing"

Keyword: Spike.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Well good graphics don't make a game good. *cough* lair *cough*. And didn't microsoft announce there would be a 1,000 player deathmatch or something.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:

By the time the PS3 hits $299 this generation will have been decided already. The PS3 will at $299 in 4 quarter 2009 at the earliest. In the two plus years it takes the PS3 to get that pricing level the Wii and 360 will built and even larger lead over the PS3. Developers will have shifted the bulk of their sources away from PS3 by then and the situation will only worsen.

Not at all. $399 in 2008 dollars is $299 in 2000 dollars, the magic price point where the mass market opens up. The PS3 will be cut to $399 sometime in 2008 - I'd assume spring, or fall at the latest. The install base will mushroom accordingly. Sony has one of the biggest studio networks in the world, churning out products left and right. It also has powerhouse franchises like MGS, FF and GT.

Pointing to the success of Bioshock and Halo 3 only underlines the fragility of Microsoft's position. Both are games popular to a certain demographic -  fans of horror-survival shoot-em-ups and FPS games. Both are genres dear to my heart, but they're not even close to the bulk of the gaming market.

SlorgNet said:
Darc Requiem said:

By the time the PS3 hits $299 this generation will have been decided already. The PS3 will at $299 in 4 quarter 2009 at the earliest. In the two plus years it takes the PS3 to get that pricing level the Wii and 360 will built and even larger lead over the PS3. Developers will have shifted the bulk of their sources away from PS3 by then and the situation will only worsen.

Not at all. $399 in 2008 dollars is $299 in 2000 dollars, the magic price point where the mass market opens up. The PS3 will be cut to $399 sometime in 2008 - I'd assume spring, or fall at the latest. The install base will mushroom accordingly. Sony has one of the biggest studio networks in the world, churning out products left and right. It also has powerhouse franchises like MGS, FF and GT.

Pointing to the success of Bioshock and Halo 3 only underlines the fragility of Microsoft's position. Both are games popular to a certain demographic - fans of horror-survival shoot-em-ups and FPS games. Both are genres dear to my heart, but they're not even close to the bulk of the gaming market.

I know you meant 2009 but I think it you missed $349 Fall 2008

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

OKay $349 fall 2008 is pushing it.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

$399.99 Spring 08 is realistic.

mM
ssj12 said:
Just_Ben said:

Why is it that everyone looks at the PS3's line up which is in it's second generation looking this good and the 360's third generation and say Sony doesnt have any good games. Sony's second generation titles are better looking then the 360's 2nd generation of games (Uncharted and UT3 looks better then Gears).

But we all know that the 80GB will have a price cut when the 60GB runs out.  

because alot of people consider price of the console and say its not worth it.. but you are right.. sony's 2nd gen is better than the 360's 2nd gen..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament