By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is everyone so fascinated with old games?

Arent we at the next gen of games,shouldnt we be hyped about that and not about getting an older game that you once owned and got rid of it for a newer console aka ps2? when you were playing ps2 or x box were you thinking about them than?if not than why now?Do you actually play them or have the time to with all the new and upcoming releases? or are you saying to the developers that you'd rather play a older game than the games they are releasing these day?

To be honest there arent that many great titles on the market,there are only about a handful that really bring out these next gen consoles.

what is your take on it?

Around the Network

because despite the graphical power of todays consoles, some old games prove to be of better quality that some games today.

^^^ Very true. A lot of studios focused on the graphics so much that they forgot to focus on gameplay. If a game isn't fun, it doesn't matter if its pretty. See Lair as an example.

I still go back and play games like Eternal Darkness over, because it was epic.

With the HD advent, a lot of the creative designers sat on their butts and let the art team have a field day with high poly models. There might only be a handful of games this gen that people will feel nostalgia on and revisit.

Emilie is right. The simple fact is that a lot of old games make are simply better at being games.

There are a variety of factors that make the last couple of generations more of a wash in some cases. These factors include the increased cost and development time leading to publishers pushing games too early when they're unpolished and incomplete, games getting overly complex and losing some of the fun factor and games focusing more on new experiences rather than fun experiences.

When games were easier to develop, one man could push his vision for the game much more easily. You could have a single genius control every aspect of the development and make the game (like Punch Out!!) into a perfect little package. These days that is far more difficult.

Because old games were really, really playable and generally had more soul (Ultima games on PC is a fine example of this, or Daggerfall).

Around the Network

It's like hearing an old joke (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml). No matter how times it's retold by newer hipper comedians they just don't catch the spirit as much as the original tellers. By no means is theirs a bad telling, but that spirit is missing. The only way to make it good again is to tell your own way. Like the Bush and Coffee version.

This is the same for games too. Many first games are all about the spirit, but subsequent games are more about features.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Games made years ago are better than the games made today.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Because I have yet to experience an era better than the 16-bit one.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Graphics =/= quality

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

I agree old school games had soul...new games have graphics