By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How many ppl here are mac users? Mine is being replaced.

I build my own custom PCs, but will still always use a Mac for most general purpose tasks.

Since the late 80s, I've owned a Mac 512k, Mac SE, Mac LCIII, PowerMax 603e, StarMax 603, PowerBook G4 Ti and am currently still using a PowerBook Al G4 for portable tasks.

It's almost 6 years old and still runs more reliably than any PC I've used, OEM or built. Still looks and runs like new.

Since 2001, own an original 5GB iPod, 30GB 3G iPod, 2GB Nano, 20GB 5G iPod and 3G iPhone.

Waiting for the next update to the MacBook lineup. If the i7 based laptop rumors are true, that's when I'll buy.

Otherwise, I'll be buying an inexpensive Asus laptop with good discrete video running Windows 7 and will buy another Mac once the i7s are available outside of the Mac Pros.

Around the Network

YO and a cert tech... ill post more in a bit .... busy for the sec

edit .... man lots of in here, I am surprised it took so long to get a new unit rule of thumb for apple is generally two send away repairs or 3 in sotre/local repairs and you get a new unit, I know a few people who bought first gen macbook pros that had to have swaps with later units,  Im not one of them, but understand the issue 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Nope never had a mac...way way to expensive for me...

JWS said:
I really know very little about apple products. So i was wondering can you upgrade a mac? What upgrades can you do? Where can you get parts? Are there certain parts of the hardware that are not avalible for purchase? I'm just curious what you do with an old mac computer.

Macs are upgradable, but pretty limited depending on their design. Recent models have been getting less upgradeable as Apple focuses on things like form factor at the expense of accessibility. In general, the towers are very upgradeable, while laptops and consumer models like the iMac and Mac Mini have less upgrade potential and the components are hard to get at. RAM and drives are pretty much always replaceable (though not always easy to get at), while processor and video card are hard/impossible to upgrade.

For the most part, you can use standard PC parts to upgrade, with a few exceptions. Some optical drives don't have proper Mac drivers, and at one point, the aluminum towers were picky about what RAM they used (not sure if this problem exists in recent models).

What to do with an old Mac? Keep using it as an internet machine, workstation, media center. They have a pretty long functional lifespan without upgrades, as long as you don't need the latest muscle for your work.

On topic, I've owned a blueberry iMac, G3 tower, G4 Mac Mini, and just picked up an Intel Mini. The iMac's optical drive failed after four years or so, so I replaced it myself. Other than that and a cheap hard drive I installed in the tower which later failed, no hardware problems so far.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I've had a mac for over 2 years now and never had a problem with it. I think you got a dud. Go to Job's house and yell at him.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network

I own macs since 2003, never had any problems. I will never come back ho Win.

Yup I've had a Mac since Aug 08 and It hasnt given me any problems so far. I do however want to reformat it since I just finished the school year but I lost my CD :( Gots to call Apple care I guess

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Wow this site full of apple users! Thanks everyone for letting me know about your mac. I figured I was just unlucky with incredibly bad lemon that they didn't want to give up on.

Kzoellner said:
Naum said:
I have never had Mac... now that I think of it I have never even seen a Mac outside the movies

From my understanding from reading other forums it seems they are only big in america.  Ppl who travel and have problems are screwed since the lack international support.  Never-less most outstanding quote

macs are decently popular here as of late. I never had one or used one.. but i know of a few who has one. Also thers Apple "house" or whatever.. fancy apple stores lol.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
Kzoellner said:
Naum said:
I have never had Mac... now that I think of it I have never even seen a Mac outside the movies

From my understanding from reading other forums it seems they are only big in america.  Ppl who travel and have problems are screwed since the lack international support.  Never-less most outstanding quote

macs are decently popular here as of late. I never had one or used one.. but i know of a few who has one. Also thers Apple "house" or whatever.. fancy apple stores lol.

actually, i find that macs have much better internal international support than pcs. as far as foriegn text and typing goes. no squares and x's with macs

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m