By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Holy Petaflop batman!

Nice , lets hope that this helps for something :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
sieanr said:
You're right.

Sony must be really altruistic.

Anything implying that they're a business is just MS FUD.

Even if it is "just a PR move", in the long run it's still gonna help a lot of people.

Currently playing: Civ 6

Sieanr. Leave this thread now. You're trolling.

That's pretty incredible.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

vizunary said: some test you don't care about??? you need a good dose of bone marrow cancer, that one's hard to treat and spreads quickly... then, maybe you'd care... idiot...

Now that's really mature, hein?

You compared this to SETI@home, of which I used to be a huge fan (key word emphasized there). That project has been going on for 8 years now, with almost 200 PetaFLOPs logged into it. Important discoveries for science so far? Zero! Now, I'm not saying they didn't get some interesting results; actually, being a computer scientist, I find the project an implementation of an interesting idea, and thus an achievement in and of itself. But to be honest, and looking at the big picture, they have accomplished nothing, really. Same goes for GIMPS (which actually has found some primes), and other similar projects - including F@H.

That's not to say these projects shouldn't exist - after all, most research avenues end up leading nowhere. But they should be looked at with a healthy amount of skepticism (as does everything in life), since as of right now, all these projects have accomplished is a non-insignificant contribution to global warming (if you happen believe that theory), with all the electricity spent for no good purpose. Because, believe me if you will, keeping your PS3 on at all times is far from being the most energy efficient way to do type the computational effort F@H requires.

So, you'll have to excuse me if I too maintain that I do not particularly care about F@H, and certainly not any more than I care about all the other more traditional research avenues pursued in the field.

Maybe you think that deserves me a horrible death, since I'm being anti-PS3 and all... "idiot..."

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

the problem is that the message they send to people is:"the ps3 cures alzaimer"

not:" the power of cell with power of other cpus help some marginal reserch for protein folding..."

then they say "speed up by a decade"...

how they can prove this???

what they found in a year now???

NOTHING.

so i want to bet that they will not found any useful in 2008/2009.(2 decade...in their dreams...)

who want to bet against me??????

Around the Network

One detail which is worth noting regarding wasted electricity and global warming is that you're not actually wasting the electricity if you live in a cold climate and have heating in your house. The PS3/PC/whatever being on converts that electricity to heat, which reduces the amount of work your heating system has to perform, and consequently the energy that it spends.

If you have heating, you're getting the potential benefits from the F@H project essentially for free.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ALKO said:

not:" the power of cell with power of other cpus help some marginal reserch for protein folding..."

NOTHING.

so i want to bet that they will not found any useful in 2008/2009.(2 decade...in their dreams...)

This is so ignorant.

Science is not about one day making a big discovery, it's about figuring out the small things that eventually lead to the big discovery. This is not marginal research. One day we will find many cures thanks to all of the protein folding done not just on the PS3, but on everything, including PC's, etc. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

alko do you even know what a decade is?

what is a "big spot"?

and they can say that they sped up research a decade using this logic.

we process X ammount of data every day

we have 10000000X data to go through

it will take us a decade to go through all that

PS3 is introduced

BAM that data is analyzed, bring on the next batch NOW not a decade from now

a cure doesnt have to come from this for there to be progress. This isnt some big joke from Stanford, I think they know more about finding cures to diseases then you do.

and to the guy crying about SETI not finding anything in 8 years of analyzing data, WOW pull your head out of you arse. did you think it would happen overnight?? an 8 year window is pretty small in the big scheme of things, what if no ET signals were around in taht window? do you think we will EVER find ET if we arent listening and actually analyzing all that data???

And yeah some people give to charities, I use my $600 entertainment device to do a little work once or twice a week. It IS a way to give back in my small gamer way.

And uhhh PS3's dont wear out like the cheap piece of shit known as a XBox. And I hate to think of how many Wii's would have to be networked together to get this kinda results.

stop hatin, this is more for Stanford then Sony anyways

You know.. i want to figure out a way to link computers to create and analyze the universe and be able to recreate the big bang and speed it up to current time so a demo of the universe's creation in less then an hour.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

cdude1034 said:
ALKO said:

NOTHING.

This is so ignorant.

Science is not about one day making a big discovery, it's about figuring out the small things that eventually lead to the big discovery. This is not marginal research. One day we will find many cures thanks to all of the protein folding done not just on the PS3, but on everything, including PC's, etc.

are they ignorant speaking of a decade in one year...