By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Gallup: More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time

highwaystar101 said:
luinil said:
Mafoo, while I understand your position, I don't agree with it. Most of the more religious people would tend to think that life begins at conception. I might go so far as to say that it begins before conception,
Jeremiah 1:4-5
4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,

5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

So... logically based on that, every life is planned and formed by God. If he "knows" you before hand, then at what point do you become a human? The only answer can be conception. This is from a Christian perspective.

Exodus 21:22-25: And if men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is no further injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him; and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

I think this is a suitable counter passage supporting abortion. Basically, as long as no injury is occurred to the woman during abortion.

That is no abortion... that is an accident. A miscarriage. There was no intent to cause the miscarriage. Two or more guys are fighting and they accidentally hit her and she loses the baby. Then the guy who caused it has to pay a penalty. I don't see how you can think that is the same as a purposeful abortion.

Around the Network

I heard this in the morning and thought it would be a good post but ya beat me to it.

Awesome news.

Person 1: Does Valkyria Chronicles have trophies?
Person 2:  No.
Person 1: Forget it. I'm not buying it.
Person 2: Wait! It's amazing! Unique, charming, drop dead gorgeous... Hello?

MontanaHatchet said:

fetuses are not alive.

This is demonstrably untrue.  You might argue that a fetus is not a human life, and I would disagree with you, but you can't argue that something (in this case, someone) who is clearly alive is not alive.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

elprincipe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

fetuses are not alive.

This is demonstrably untrue.  You might argue that a fetus is not a human life, and I would disagree with you, but you can't argue that something (in this case, someone) who is clearly alive is not alive.

You think I care enough to bother arguing with you? The fetus is alive, but it has no sense of consciousness and is no more alive or special than any other multi-celled organism. Meh.

I'm fine for people to go ahead and base their morals on the bible, and yes that would imply that life begins at conception and that abortion is wrong. However when they try and force their beliefs on everyone (ie. make abortion illegal) I have a problem.

The question 'when does human life begin?' isn't easily answered, a very large segment of the population believes it begins part way through the pregnancy, another very large part believes it begins at the start of the pregnancy.

The pro-choicers aren't forcing the people who believe life begins at conception to have abortions, so I don't see why those people should force people who believes human life begins later not to have abortions.

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
luinil said:
Mafoo, while I understand your position, I don't agree with it. Most of the more religious people would tend to think that life begins at conception. I might go so far as to say that it begins before conception,
Jeremiah 1:4-5
4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,

5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

So... logically based on that, every life is planned and formed by God. If he "knows" you before hand, then at what point do you become a human? The only answer can be conception. This is from a Christian perspective.

Exodus 21:22-25: And if men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is no further injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him; and he shall pay as the judges decide. But if there is any further injury, then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

I think this is a suitable counter passage supporting abortion. Basically, as long as no injury is occurred to the woman during abortion.

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose. An evil soul producing holy witness Is like a villain with a smiling cheek.
[1596 Shakespeare Merchant of Venice i. iii. 93]

TheRealMafoo said:
highwaystar101 said:

Anyway I am pro-choice. I think if you want an abortion before the third trimester then go for it.

I am pro-choice, but long before the third trimester. If you have not made a choice by 12 weeks, it’s no longer your call. That’s plenty of time.

At some point, this thing growing inside you becomes a life (and gets rights). It’s long after 12 weeks, but probably before 24. I would error on the side of caution here.

I completely agree with you. However, aren't 99% of abortions that are late term (its the vast majority if not completely all - I don't remember where I found the statistics - if u can find them please provide) are due to the health of the mother because of severe complications? Or is that something they "put down on paper." It seems logical that someone who was going to have an abortion would have one early, unless the circumstances are life threatening. What do you think in this case?

Question: How long do we have a moral obligation as a society to ensure the survivability of an individual? As long as they are cute? Until they are 18? Or is it simply just let them be born and fight for themselves? I don't get it. How many people are for implementing breathalizers in all motorized vehicles to prevent deaths? What if someone who is drunk hits someone else - obviously it wasn't the victims "choice" - rates can be reduced - but these aren't issues.

I'm just wondering why? Is it cause babies are just so cute? Who's for requiring a law that makes every mother take 800mcg of folic acid a day during pregnancy? How about making it illegal to smoke or drink during pregnancy?

I don't want to go on either side of the issue really. I'm just wondering why we don't have as many people pushing for laws to maintain a healthy, safe, secure and protected life for that child once its born. Or maybe I am missing something.

As always I think this is more than just a black and white issue. It's more than choice, there are many variables, and many things to consider. It's why I hate hard ideologies. Blanket rules are almost never a good idea.

If a woman is raped and gets pregnant, that is not poor choice she made. If a 14 year old is regularly molested by her father and gets pregnant, that is not a poor choice she made. If a woman gets pregnant and it is discovered that both her and the child will die if it is taken to term, that is not a poor choice she made.

It becomes more gray. What if you know the child will have down syndrome and numerous other health problems from an early genetic test? Will you condemn it to a life of misery, something that is only barely considered conscious, but most certainly in pain? I'm not saying there is a definitive answer to this. But there most certainly aren't any blanket rules either, and to judge an individual based on these choices is absurd, callous, and ignorant.

I don't think abortion should be treated as a routine procedure for people that are irresponsible and see a child as inconvenient. When life begins is a delicate and complex subject, but selfishness and narcissism are never a good reason to end potential life (and I doubt selfish narcissists are carefully considering any arguments other than "I hate kids, and I'll lose my figure"). But a blanket statement that abortion is never ok, is equally callous. Blanket ideologies are the easiest way to solve a problem, but are never even close to being the best or even right way to handle them.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

it's because all of those that are pro choice aren't having any babies!