By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Gallup: More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time

Source: http://www.gallup.com/poll/118399/More-Americans-Pro-Life-Than-Pro-Choice-First-Time.aspx

This is an interesting poll. I don't usually follow polls, but this one got my interest. I think this is a good thing. It would be nice if it would stay this way, imho. I don't know why the sudden peak though. Still I wanted to share.

Around the Network

GOOD!!, thats the way it should stay...you want choice? wear a condom, birth control, or both theres your choice..

I'd prefer the results back in '95

But I wonder what the reasons are for the relatively large shift? Especially the latest poll... doesn't that seem rather abrupt?

Xxain said:
GOOD!!, thats the way it should stay...you want choice? wear a condom, birth control, or both theres your choice..

this right here.

Although, I too am wondering why the large shift, as I haven't heard any news that would make people change their minds. However, I do know there was a huge push by doctors a few months ago to stop a law change. They were trying to change the law so that all obgyn doctors had to perform abortions or lose their liscense even if they thought it was morally wrong. Maybe their push to stop the law helped push pro-life while they were at it.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I bet it has to do with science more then anything, people are finding out more and more that babies are a baby long before they are out of the womb and thus viewing it more as murder and less like a choice

But I personally like this trend and pray it gets to be bigger, like some one else said before

The choice isn’t weather you should be able to end a life, but if you should wear a condom or take a pill, our use a foam, or just not have sex to begin with

Around the Network
nordlead said:
Xxain said:

this right here.

Although, I too am wondering why the large shift, as I haven't heard any news that would make people change their minds. However, I do know there was a huge push by doctors a few months ago to stop a law change. They were trying to change the law so that all obgyn doctors had to perform abortions or lose their liscense even if they thought it was morally wrong. Maybe their push to stop the law helped push pro-life while they were at it.

Could be. I don't know either, but the same thing happened between 96-97. And again to a smaller degree in 97-98, and again to a small degree in 01. It will likely drop again a little, but this is still a step in the "right" direction.

I was about to post something similar to this.

Anyway I am pro-choice. I think if you want an abortion before the third trimester then go for it. I'm totally in support of the 'parents' choice. Besides, if someone isn't ready to have a baby but an accident occurs then they should have every right to terminate the pregnancy.

That said I do think that abortions should be done as early on in the pregnancy as possible.

In fact, everyone should have abortions, it should be mandatory, the generations of the future will thank us lol.

highwaystar101 said:

Anyway I am pro-choice. I think if you want an abortion before the third trimester then go for it.

I am pro-choice, but long before the third trimester. If you have not made a choice by 12 weeks, it’s no longer your call. That’s plenty of time.

At some point, this thing growing inside you becomes a life (and gets rights). It’s long after 12 weeks, but probably before 24. I would error on the side of caution here.

TheRealMafoo said:
highwaystar101 said:

Anyway I am pro-choice. I think if you want an abortion before the third trimester then go for it.

I am pro-choice, but long before the third trimester. If you have not made a choice by 12 weeks, it’s no longer your call. That’s plenty of time.

At some point, this thing growing inside you becomes a life (and gets rights). It’s long after 12 weeks, but probably before 24. I would error on the side of caution here.

Yeah that's what I think exactly. Get it terminated before it becomes a life. 12 weeks seems a fair amount of time and to be honest in an ideal world I would like to see everyone who get's one have it done before then. But I say before third trimester because it doesn't always work out that way and so the upper limits would be before then, for example if situations change in some way that means the couple have to back out.

Also, 'before' as in idealy a fair amount of time before lol

Frankly I call BS on these numbers. There is no other year on that timeline where you saw as drastic a shift as this one. If the numbers had dramatically spiked in the other direction I would say the same thing. Those numbers shouldn't be that volatile year-to-year.

And abortion wasn't even really an issue during the election or much of one after it. This also goes against the fact that people overwhelmingly voted for Democrats in the Presidential election and the Congressional elections. If people are more pro-life, they sure as hell aren't showing it.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson