By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If the PS3 Slim is legit and releases at $299 - What will it do for sales?

SlorgNet said:
The moment the PS3 drops to 299EUR/$299, slim or no slim, is the moment the bottom falls out of the 360, which is barely outselling the PS3 despite a $100-$150 price advantage and plenty of multiplatform titles.

Microsoft has noone to blame but itself. They sold faulty hardware, denied the problem and then bought off consumers with $1 billion of cash extracted from their OS monopoly, and have been underinvesting in first-party studios and innovative games. As a company, Microsoft lacks the consumer savvy and media skills to succeed in a gaming culture which is ever more closely dependent on the good will of Web-savvy consumers and the talents of open source-savvy studio artists.

It's all a darn shame. I'm a firm believer in console neutrality and competition, but Microsoft went and handed the HD market on a platter to Sony. I think Microsoft seriously needs to ask whether it needs to be in the console biz. Given their core strengths as a company, it may be time to start a joint-venture with Samsung or some plucky startup firm who knows hardware, and concentrate on software and services. If they don't, then the X720 will be just more of the same.

Are you and your brethren devoid of mid-term memory?

For quite some time there was just a 50$ difference between the ps3 and the 360 - the ps3 pulled ahead indeed but not enough to overcome the difference.

This is what will happen: Sony drops the price, the ps3 pulls ahead. In a few months the 8m gap dwindles back to 5-6m. Then MS drops the price again and the gap starts growing. Then it's 2011 and no one cares because next-gen consoles are on sale already.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
Bitmap Frogs said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
HanzoTheRazor said:
The people saying it won't change much and it won't sell more than the 360 are delusional, (fanboys make me laugh)! It would more than likely be priced at $299, (which is enough for it to out sell the 360 alone, once again). That, combined with the slim will be a sure win, win. Don't kid yourself.

The funny thing is that's what the sony fanboys said too, last year. When Xbox 360 had a price cut.

The amount of cognitive dissonance some people are going through in order to match reality with their expectations must be staggering.

Wow! I learned a new word tonight. You made me google cognitive dissonance. LOL!

Bitmap Frogs said:

For quite some time there was just a 50$ difference between the ps3 and the 360 - the ps3 pulled ahead indeed but not enough to overcome the difference.

This is what will happen: Sony drops the price, the ps3 pulls ahead. In a few months the 8m gap dwindles back to 5-6m. Then MS drops the price again and the gap starts growing. Then it's 2011 and no one cares because next-gen consoles are on sale already.

MS wont cut price just casue Sony did, they actully want to make some money this gen. 

If they do it will sink their game division in the red, will share holder accept a product that has seen a decade of mostly losses.  MS wont pull out a 100 console just casue Sonys one costs 300.

MS enterance into gaming has proven pointless, console wont ever take over PCs.  MSs core business is safe from gaming takeover.  Though its funny hos Snys talk of PS this and that scared the crap out of them.

Even if M$'s 360 sells like hot cakes and beats the Wii and PS3 combined, their is no way in hell will they ever recoupe their monies lost from both the Xbox/360 this gen. People keep going on about how SONY is now in the red, yeh, they are, but M$ has allways been in the red with the Xbox name. If M$ had as much money as SONY, they would have never been able to even start the 360 in the 1st place.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

@ twingo

I don't think there is a more frightened company in the world than M$. SONY, Apple and now Google all have them shitting in their pants.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network

For sales, it would probably do a good bit, at least for the first couple of months. Then the bankruptcy proceedings would reach the point where Sony has to discontinue the product line.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

twingo said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

MS wont cut price just casue Sony did, they actully want to make some money this gen. 

If they do it will sink their game division in the red, will share holder accept a product that has seen a decade of mostly losses.  MS wont pull out a 100 console just casue Sonys one costs 300.

MS enterance into gaming has proven pointless, console wont ever take over PCs.  MSs core business is safe from gaming takeover.  Though its funny hos Snys talk of PS this and that scared the crap out of them.

With over 3 billion and a half in the red this gen, I'm sure Sony wants to make some money too. You know, it's ironic you expect a Sony pricecut but don't a MS pricecut, when it's MS that's been turning a profit lately, not Sony.

So far the ps3 has cost Sony around 6 billion (it's been eating profits from both the psp and ps2 and on top of that the whole division has gone 3 and a half billions into the red).

So, let's make a recap: Sony corporation is losing money as a whole, Sony Computer Entertainment is losing money. Microsoft corporation as a whole is making money, Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices is on his second profitable year. Guess which shareholders are pissed right now?

If anything, Sony shareholders are more interested on the termination of the playstation division than Microsoft's shareholders are about E&D.

Nevermind this little doses of reality get in the way of your fanboy rethoric, tho. Frankly, it looks like the prospect of a 360 pricecut scares the shit out of you as it'd send the ps3 to the bottom of the sales charts. Oh wait...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

A PS3 Slim $299 in 2009 would increase sales by at least 50% and totally crush the X360.

If the Slim is launched, it will be at $399 at least for the first few months. If the sales remain pathetic, then Sony will cut the price, otherwise no.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

"Just when you thought things couldn’t get worse for the Xbox 360 and Wii, Sony is set to unveil the killing blow to both systems with the new PS3 Slim. "

-Sony Defense Force.