By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If the PS3 Slim is legit and releases at $299 - What will it do for sales?

HanzoTheRazor said:
The people saying it won't change much and it won't sell more than the 360 are delusional, (fanboys make me laugh)! It would more than likely be priced at $299, (which is enough for it to out sell the 360 alone, once again). That, combined with the slim will be a sure win, win. Don't kid yourself.

The funny thing is that's what the sony fanboys said too, last year. When Xbox 360 had a price cut.

Around the Network

Wouldn't it be funny if at E3, the redesigned PS3 rumour turns out to be false, but a redesigned Xbox360 would be unveiled instead? XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Soundwave said:
HanzoTheRazor said:
The people saying it won't change much and it won't sell more than the 360 are delusional, (fanboys make me laugh)! It would more than likely be priced at $299, (which is enough for it to out sell the 360 alone, once again). That, combined with the slim will be a sure win, win. Don't kid yourself.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions there. Why would it be a $100 drop? Since when do hardware makers doll out $100 drops, especailly when they are bleeding money as is? 

Did the PSP and PS2 redesigns come with price cuts? 

Also what stops Microsoft from simply adding a 60GB HDD to their existing $199.99 360 model and undercutting Sony yet again? 

Or releasing their own slim 360?

You seriously think Microsoft would just sit there and do nothing? Give them a little credit, they have kicked Sony's butt for the better part of 3 years now. 

You just made an assumption too.

First PS3 is not yet on its 3rd year. Last year the PS3 outsold Xbox 360 until the pricecut. Just like in basketball it's still anyones game until buzzer sounds.

The one who's kicking the butt here is Nintendo. Nintendo took the majority of casual gamers. For the Core gamers Both Microsoft and Sony are having it's fair share of core gamers( Xbox 360 have the lead). So give the credit where it's due and that is Nintendo.

BTW MS did a fantastic job this gen. except the RROD thing. Who would've thought that MS will be a fierce competitor to Sony and so far winning.

Maybe not all pics were posted ( havent read the whole thread) so here are some more:

If the Pics were posted before sorry then

NoCtiS_NoX said:

BTW MS did a fantastic job this gen. except the RROD thing. Who would've thought that MS will be a fierce competitor to Sony and so far winning.

Rushing defective hardware to market due to desperation and fear is not fantastic. 

Knowing of prod yet going through with the release shows they are trashy corp.

Around the Network
Megadude said:
I was at gamestop th other day and nearly shit in my pants when I looked over an saw that the 60 GB HD for the 360 was $100! $25 more then I paid for my 350 GB PS3 HD. I don't think MS will add a HD to the arcade or do a counter pricecut. I think they will market the shit outta OSDT and try a win over some Wii share with the new eye toy, see how sales go and drop the price and the 720 in 2010.

Ahaha that was funny ... (...).

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
HanzoTheRazor said:

The funny thing is that's what the sony fanboys said too, last year. When Xbox 360 had a price cut.

The amount of cognitive dissonance some people are going through in order to match reality with their expectations must be staggering.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

there's no way it's true, but if it were, it would sell neck and neck with the dreamcast 2.

tastyshovelware said:
there's no way it's true, but if it were, it would sell neck and neck with the dreamcast 2.

Considering how much money Sony is losing both as a whole and specifically the gaming division I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced the slim without a price cut. They might be betting on the whole "slim" deal to move hardware.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

The moment the PS3 drops to 299EUR/$299, slim or no slim, is the moment the bottom falls out of the 360, which is barely outselling the PS3 despite a $100-$150 price advantage and plenty of multiplatform titles.

Microsoft has noone to blame but itself. They sold faulty hardware, denied the problem and then bought off consumers with $1 billion of cash extracted from their OS monopoly, and have been underinvesting in first-party studios and innovative games. As a company, Microsoft lacks the consumer savvy and media skills to succeed in a gaming culture which is ever more closely dependent on the good will of Web-savvy consumers and the talents of open source-savvy studio artists.

It's all a darn shame. I'm a firm believer in console neutrality and competition, but Microsoft went and handed the HD market on a platter to Sony. I think Microsoft seriously needs to ask whether it needs to be in the console biz. Given their core strengths as a company, it may be time to start a joint-venture with Samsung or some plucky startup firm who knows hardware, and concentrate on software and services. If they don't, then the X720 will be just more of the same.