By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do "Hardcore" titles need to be rated "M"?

everyone played super mario galaxy so that was never in dispute, its a hardcore game. MKW on the other hand is being labelled differently. But when Fable 2 has a follow the trail option to make it easier no one calls it casual, there is a double standard.

Basically there is no reason for this standard, its crap.

@Kyllie, how many horror movies get R ratings now? none, and they are all pathetic weak films.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

There is no such thing as all M rated ones are hardcore.

Hardcore game are usually the games that a relatively highly skilled player needs time and effort to master/finish.

Many games are clearly hardcore and many are clearly not. There is a very vast grey area where just as many games reside.

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

--OkeyDokey-- said:
nordlead said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nobody ever said that. Stop making stuff up.

no one says it explicitly, but typically you get lists like

GTA, Halo, Gears, God of War, DMC, Killzone, and the like whenever someone states what a "hardcore" game is.

That's because, coincidentally, 90% of popular games among Microsoft/Sony fans are M rated :P

And the Microsoft/Sony fanboys insist that there are no hardcore games on any Nintendo systems, so as you can see, they basically say that M rated games are hardcore, while everything else isn't.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

While the general consensus that a hardcore game must be M rated is true, I would hugely disagree with the idea that all or most of them are.

First it would depend on what your idea or hardcore is. Is it SMG or GTA? Pikmin or Gears? Megaman or COD? Zelda or NMH? ect....

I think their are plenty of games out there that are hardcore and not M rated. But again this all depends on what you consider hardcore games.

As for this quote "Can't a game be for hardcore gamers, and at the same time not have to contain violence, sex or profanity?" Think Nintendo.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

wait, DMC and Halo are rated M ?
i see them as a T , not much gore and such and DMC is a teeny anime wet dream.

Around the Network

Since when???

I've never heard this b4...

4 ≈ One

hsrob said:
They don't. That's why the word hardcore is nonsense.

F-Zero GX is my example, maybe others can give some other examples. It is hard, very hard and can not be mastered without putting in a significant amount of time, the only definition of hardcore that i can abide by.

I can come up with a few...  Ikaruga one of the most hardcore flying shooters.  Civilization games (mainly Civ 3 in my opinion with tons of user-made scenarios that are usually far better than the scenarios that came with Conquest).   Starcraft the most hardcore RTS game so far.  Ninja Gaiden (NES), Ghouls 'n Ghost / Ghoust n' Goblins.  Yes, F-Zero GX is pretty damn hard / hardcore.  I love the F-Zero series and can't wait for another.

They don't need to be.

KylieDog said:
megaman79 said:

@Kyllie, how many horror movies get R ratings now? none, and they are all pathetic weak films.

DING DING DING DING!

Horror is one thing. Action is another. Many of the best action movies now are PG-13... DING DING DING DURRRRR.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!