By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 to 360 really a big deal?

WiiStation360 said:
To fanboys on either side it would be a big deal. They like to count exclusives and AAA games. If MGS4 does go multi, here will be threads like "There is now no reason to own a PS3" or "Time to sell my PS3"

To everyone else, not a big deal. Sales of MGS4 have died down, and it is not selling systems anymore. Anyone who would buy a console just to play this game, already has done so. Konami might as well get as much money out of it as possible.

I don't think so....I think they will talk of Uncharted 2 more and waht ever else is exclusive....I hope these threads die out after E3...I for one doubt the game.....

Around the Network

Yes it would be a majorly big deal. The effects would be both instant, and prolonged. Further more it would be emotionally damaging. The situation revolves around two very critical points. The first is buyers remorse, and the second is software depletion.

The PS3 started the generation exceedingly weak on selling points. Among them were a mere handful of key exclusives, and a expectation of what were once given exclusives. With every exclusive loss that afflicts the console the worse the bargain seems. Call it buyers remorse. When you begin to run out of excuses the frustration does begin to mount. The frustration actually functions as a grieving process.

The stages are as follows bliss, denial, accusation, rage, self pity, apathy, and finally acceptance of the situation. We have seen Sony loyalists enact this pattern all generation long. Some go through the steps rapidly, some go slowly, and some break switch allegiance, or go to the center. This announcement would just fuel the process as they ask why they actually paid that much money. So emotionally depending on where a certain person is on the scale they could be apathetic, stick to the denial, or go off on a terrible bender. Nobody is actually in the bliss phase anymore. So you will see a varied response, but those on the cusp of rage will be very loud.

The second issue is software depletion. This would only skew future console sales more in favor of the 360 as the PS3 loses one more reason to buy. All that the sales department at Microsoft needs to do is advertise the game. Does that hurt the current owners. Yes it does more 360s sold means a larger user base which means Microsoft can afford more exclusives, and afford them for less. The result is fewer games for the owners.

So yes it has an affect, but if your already apathetic about the console and its future then it really has no effect on you. Your beyond the influence as it were.

X360 owners should keep their fingers crossed not because it's high end PS3 exclusive but it's simply an awesome game. Unfortunately some dumbass keep talking shit about boycotting Konami etc.

They don't boycott Konami but their very own gaming pleasure. It is really silly.

This isn't just happening with the Xbox 360.  The PS3 is also taking some games that were exclusive to the Xbox 360.  Dead Rising, Bioshock, Ninja Gaiden 2 to name a few.

I said this a year ago and I still stand strong behind it  mainly because I see it happening more and more now, especially in this economy.  In the future there will be less and less 3rd party exclusive games.  Companies want and NEED to make money, therefore they will adapt their game to all consoles if possible.  However what we will see is more exclusive DLC, exclusive 1st party games, exclusive Arcade and PSN titles.

This is all just predictions, but I think the future is more about what each console has to offer as far as DLC rather than exlusive 3rd party games.

XBOX LIVE: macr0planet

PSN: MacroPlanet_DSGN

Steam: MacroPlanet

Modern Warfare 2 - Uncharted 2 - Assassin's Creed 2 - Mass Effect 2 - Alan Wake - Forza 3 - Splinter Cell: Conviction - God of War 3

RAZurrection said:

It's not strategically advantageous since it didn't really move many PS3's, so it won't move any 360s nor is there any technical advantages to having it go multi as the technology is quite dated compared to other games out there.

It's really about defining console games, take MGS4 away and the PS3's biggest selling exclusives are Resistance and Motorstorm....which frankly would be embaressing. The PS3 has a big enemy in redundancy, multi-platform games are better on 360 and PS3 doesn't really have any other blockbusters.

Take away Halo 3, Gears 2 and Forza 2 and make all it's multiplatform games better on PS3, what would 360 be then but a glorified Fable 2 box?

Yes, exactly. When we go back over a year, and look at the 360 vs PS3 exclusives list, Bioshock was a prominent fixture in the 360 exclusives list, and another reason to look at the 360. Even though it went to the PS3 too late to make much of a sales impact, it was a feather out of the 360's cap, as well as a selling point lost to those late to the generation.

People should bear in mind, that many of these titles have an impact on purchasers that the sales don't indicate. If Bioshock remained 360 exlcusive, it could still convince someone to pick up a 360 down the line. This wouldn't be reflected in sales as they'd probably pick up a used copy for $15 at GameStop, but these old exclusives still move consoles.

Anyone who was waiting for a price cut to get a PS3 and MGS4 would be able to get it for less if it was true... And anyone with a 360 considering a PS3 loses another reason...

At the end of the day, lots of 3rd party exclusives don't matter if they go multiplat after 6-12 months of exclusivity, but the big, AAA critically acclaimed exclusives are a big deal - even a while later.

Around the Network
Dodece said:
Yes it would be a majorly big deal. The effects would be both instant, and prolonged. Further more it would be emotionally damaging. The situation revolves around two very critical points. The first is buyers remorse, and the second is software depletion.

i hear you there.  i got a 360 for fable2 and the game was complete garbage.  i'm still kicking myself for the $460 dollars i wasted to play that crap.  it's amazing how much one game can influence a console purchase and how shitty you feel when it doesn't turn out the way you hoped.

I don't think its a big deal really

Squall_Leonhart said:
kitler53 said:
i personally couldn't care less about MGS4 but I am in favor of exclusives as they provide some sort of distinction between the systems.

i mean really, don't you think there would be just as many upset 360 fans if mass effect lost exclusivity?

Yeah i know what you mean, i was the same way when FFXIII was announced to be on the 360 last E3... It does seem like MS can't just get their own games anymore, they need to steal them from the other consoles! Makes me glad that Sony has such a large 1st and 2nd party division

I wonder if ME2 will make it to the PS3... Playing through the first one at the moment (on as off as i quickly get sick of the 360 controller as the D-pad is worse than awful) but it is a good game for the most part!

That's silly. It's a business where companies are competing. Of course they will try to get exclusives or see to it that big games aren't exclusive on another console. It's a business strategy move. Stealing is what someone does when they enter a liquor store with a note and a .45. On topic, yes it is a big deal. Sure MGS4 may not do a whole lot more sales on the PS3 but for those who would've considered either buying a PS3 to go along with their Xbox 360 would then have one less major reason to do so. Also, there have been about 55 million sales of HD systems. PS2 alone sold 120 million consoles or more. This means a lot of people still haven't upgraded to the true next gen. I don't mean that as a slam on Nintendo for when I say next gen in that context, I'm speaking graphically. So for all those people who were on the fence of whether or not to buy a next gen console, they could then buy the Xbox 360 at a cheaper price to get one of the games they might have been holding out for. I'm not saying MGS4 would sell as much as the PS3 version but over time, it would help sell some system for Microsoft and steer some people away from buying a PS3 and get the cheaper priced Xbox 360.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

To PS3 fanboys it is cause thats their main reason to buy a PS3, Konami is retarded if they dont put it on the 360 though.....I belive it would sell AT THE VERY LEAST 1-2 Million copies on the Xbox 360.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Yes it is.