By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How many users on these boards actually support "The Theory of Evolution"?

hsrob said:

What's wrong with 19th century science or 17th century science for that matter? We still learn Newton's laws of motion in highschool physics and it is good enough to explain and predict motion in many common situations.

Explain to me how evolution is taken on just as much faith as Christianity. Your whole post reeks of contradiction as you criticise evolutionary dogma and state it's reliance on faith without any evidence to back up your point. So we are to discard evolutionary dogma for your own? Natural selection at least has the good sense to put 'theory' in front of it to remind us that it is to be questioned and challenged, and not to be taken as infallible or unquestionable, unlike your point which we are expected to take on faith.

Most of what evolution is based is wrong by 20th century science. Even Darwin himself didn't take it as absolute truth. It's mostly a view for those who are atheist and need belief to where we come from. But where is all this supposed proof? It doesn't exist.

No Darwin didn't take it as absolute truth and do you know why? Because he knew it was a theory. He knew he was right, he could prove he was. He justs didn't have the means to work out the specifics and we are still doing that today, working out the specifics to better understand the theory, that's what science does. We know we are right and if we are not right then whatever theory replaces evolution should be very similar to support all the evidence we have already found.

As for proof evolution happens, what do you need?

How about bacteria developing a resistance to antibiotics?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n3/antibiotic-resistance-of-bacteria

How about elephants growing smaller tusks because poachers kill the ones with big tusks?

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/ecology/elephants-evolve-smaller-tusks-due-to-poaching/711

How about evolution in ourselves, evolving from our primate ancestors into modern humans?

Here is what you called "the suppossed truth" that doesn't exist. Come up with equal or greater proof for a creator, because this is pretty convincing arguements for evolution IMO.

Around the Network
Aquietguy said:
mrjuju said:

0_0 ummm, not to be a dick or anything, but where is the proof for ID, or god for that matter? Because I  am fairly sure there is a far greater amount of evidence supporting the gradual adaptation and evolution of animals than a large, bearded man floating in the sky with his armies of winged cherubs.

Their's about as much of a case for intelligent design as their is for evolution. Just because you don't hear about it in school or at a university doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. The curriculum is controlled by evolutionist. Like I said in my last post, just the mention of intelligent design can get you kicked out of academia.

Ok, I'll bite, show me ANY concrete evidence of ID. I hate to break it to you, but my mind is not clouded by school, or some evolution based control, but rather a lifetime of independent thought and research.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Check out my daily drawings here and help keep me on task!

mrjuju said:
Aquietguy said:
mrjuju said:

0_0 ummm, not to be a dick or anything, but where is the proof for ID, or god for that matter? Because I  am fairly sure there is a far greater amount of evidence supporting the gradual adaptation and evolution of animals than a large, bearded man floating in the sky with his armies of winged cherubs.

Their's about as much of a case for intelligent design as their is for evolution. Just because you don't hear about it in school or at a university doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. The curriculum is controlled by evolutionist. Like I said in my last post, just the mention of intelligent design can get you kicked out of academia.

Ok, I'll bite, show me ANY concrete evidence of ID. I hate to break it to you, but my mind is not clouded by school, or some evolution based control, but rather a lifetime of independent thought and research.

Same. I'm open to ideas. Give me a strong case for ID.

Aquietguy said:
mrjuju said:

Give me all the evidenece you can think of for ID and ill garentee i can get twice as much for Evolution.

Aquietguy said:
mrjuju said:

Put me in the same boat as everyone else here, I have never found or heard and valid evidence for ID.

Now you do know that since this is a discussion involving evolution and ID disproving it, I will not be in the mood for anything that falls in line with superchunk's ideology (where God created everything, and evolution is still real inside this created universe).

Around the Network

I'm from Canada and I'm Christian so I believe in creation.

I do believe in natural selection (only the strong survive) and that sort of thing but I still believe humans were created in God's image.

Aquietguy said:

New Orleans- Intelligent Design

And I would like to add that evolution has not been prove because some on here thinks it has. That's why it's still call a theory.

You obviously do not know what a theory is. A theory can never be fact much the same way a PS3 can never be a CPU, GPU, or a HDD. A theory is built on facts, and seeks to predict future events based upon them. Because of this the arguement that evolution is only a theory is extremely counter productive. At best it is a complete mis-understanding of a term by one side of the arguement, and at worst an attempt to discredit the other side of the debate while providing absolutely no evidence.

Intelligent design is not accepted in modern science because it is not a testable hypothesis. We can experiment with it and test to see what happens afterwards. Evolution has been tested, and demonstrated repeatedly over the years. I can give you plenty of examples that can easily be confirmed, and some form of evolution must be at work. If intelligent design has a place in academia then someone must provide a way to test the hypothesis in a laboratory setting. Until then it is simply outside the area which science can hope to work.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

coolestguyever said:
I'm from Canada and I'm Christian so I believe in creation.

I do believe in natural selection (only the strong survive) and that sort of thing but I still believe humans were created in God's image.

I'm from Germany, I'm catholic and of course I believe in the theory of evolution.

Wether Christian or not doesn't matter at all, because evolution doesn't say there was no god at the very beginning. I've read a lot about this and must admit that I haven't heard about or from a ID/creatonist-"scientist" who isn't a totally whacknut. Again if some evidence (which base is not a more than 2000 year old book) is shown too me, I might consider evolution wrong. But it would make me really wonder.

But if there was some evidence for ID, wouldn't you think that the Vatican with thousands of educated men, wouldn't have found some?

Well it seems, that education rules here, that's the reason why the Vatican declared Evolution as right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/4588289/The-Vatican-claims-Darwins-theory-of-evolution-is-compatible-with-Christianity.html

Aquietguy said:
Riot said:

That doesn't have to be something bad. The central idea of ID that there is a higher being (intelligent cause) involved in the creation of the world is much older.

A good point. But then why is intelligent design growing among scientist and it is. And why is it that academia so against it. If you even try to bring up intelligent design you would lose your job and all funding. But then real advancement has never come from main stream thinkers. It always come from people who think outside the box. But I would still like to know why intelligent design is being shut out of academia. There is just as much of an argument for it as evolution.

That's exactly how the theory of evolution was born. So why go back to ID/creationism/ "what ever they call it next"?

It's like saying, hey, why don't we go back to blood-letting in medicine or that the earth is a disc or or or. It's just less obvious then these things, if you don't know how an academic discussion works. ID is shut out of academia because it's not a science, if you base everything on a book and if it couldn't be taken serious without the existance of this book.

Have you ever heard about the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

They seem to have more evidence then ID and therefore they want to be taught in school as well.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

Well I've started to go over some of the info on Wikipedia (I'm always amazed as to the amount of info there), and there does appear to be some very distinct fractures in the ID/Creationist side. Now I haven't even came close to going through all this, but I haven't seen anything even remotely convincing for any of the ID concepts.

I am still trying to understand how ID/creationists believe that any of the Old Earth Creationism theories directly disprove anything that is understood about evolution.