By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mrs. California Vs Obama

akuma587 said:
She has gotten so much press coverage and so much financial benefit from this "scandal" that it isn't even funny. If anyone thinks she is a victim here, especially considering she wasn't even winning the competition by the time the question was asked, you are fooling yourself. Can you even tell me who actually won the competition? She has benefited from this to an exponential degree.

Money and fame do not necessarily off-set ridicule, because money and fame do not necessarily bring happiness but widespread ridicule almost always brings sadness.

Around the Network
CHYUII said:
akuma587 said:
She has gotten so much press coverage and so much financial benefit from this "scandal" that it isn't even funny. If anyone thinks she is a victim here, especially considering she wasn't even winning the competition by the time the question was asked, you are fooling yourself. Can you even tell me who actually won the competition? She has benefited from this to an exponential degree.

Money and fame do not necessarily off-set ridicule, because money and fame do not necessarily bring happiness but widespread ridicule almost always brings sadness.

At least she can actually get married.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
CHYUII said:
akuma587 said:

At least she can actually get married.

I get what you are saying NOW.

The point that you were making was that she has benefitted from what has happened.

I said maybe not/ probably not.

Now as to your new point "At least she can actually get married." I answer:

So is that it? REPs vs DEMs let the blood spill? Seriously? An eye for an eye? SO what you are saying is because she disagrees with what you believe, she deserves anything that comes her way?

Really?

I didn't give a shit about this story when it happened and I don't give a shit about what happens to her now. It was a dumb thing for people to get upset about. She could have said that she likes to sacrifice goats and have sex with their carcasses and I wouldn't have batted an eye.

I don't agree with her, but I frankly don't care what she has to say in the first place. She has the freedom to say whatever she wants. I also have the freedom to think that she is completely irrelevant, like every other Miss California before her.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:

I didn't give a shit about this story when it happened and I don't give a shit about what happens to her now. It was a dumb thing for people to get upset about. She could have said that she likes to sacrifice goats and have sex with their carcasses and I wouldn't have batted an eye.

I don't agree with her, but I frankly don't care what she has to say in the first place. She has the freedom to say whatever she wants. I also have the freedom to think that she is completely irrelevant, like every other Miss California before her.

I totally agree with you when you say, "I frankly don't care what she has to say in the first place." I hate the fact that they asked her in the firstplace, they should know that a question like that no matter how she answered would have cause problems for somebody (REP or DEM). It would be like asking what do you feel about Abortion. No matter what you say you lose.

Something was wrong from the beginning, the question was wrong.

Around the Network

The judges were SUPPOSED TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT CURRENT SOCIAL ISSUES. The judges were not just throwing softball questions to all the other contestants like, "What is your idea of world peace?" Would you rather they just ask her bullshit questions?

If she wants to be a part of the competition, they can ask her whatever question they want. Its called freedom of speech.

akuma587 said:
The judges were SUPPOSED TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT CURRENT SOCIAL ISSUES. The judges were not just throwing softball questions to all the other contestants like, "What is your idea of world peace?" Would you rather they just ask her bullshit questions?

If she wants to be a part of the competition, they can ask her whatever question they want. Its called freedom of speech.

I agree with everything that you said. As long as we both are in agreeance, and I think we are, that free speech works both ways.

But I just want to add that in an event where there is judgement/ competition going on it would be best to leave such volitile question off the table.

I am not saying that they weren't doing what they were "supposed to" (or at least I did not know) but no matter what I think in future competitions they need to get away from what they are "supposed to."

As we all can see, it is not good to have these young ladies voice their opinions on such strong issues because people are might abuse them. So for the saftey of future contestants, I pray that they change what they are "SUPPOSED TO ASK" and do something new.

Well, from a capitalistic standpoint, this got the Miss America pageant a ton of press coverage, at levels it hasn't seen in awhile. Frankly, I think it was a great decision for the people running the competition to do this and ask some meaty questions.

Yes, freedom of speech cuts in many directions. The people running the competition have the freedom to ask her whatever questions they want. She has the freedom to respond however she wants. People have the right to criticize her for anything that she says. If some people get upset in the process, that is a price people have to pay.

akuma587 said:
Well, from a capitalistic standpoint, this got the Miss America pageant a ton of press coverage, at levels it hasn't seen in awhile. Frankly, I think it was a great decision for the people running the competition to do this and ask some meaty questions.

Yes, freedom of speech cuts in many directions. The people running the competition have the freedom to ask her whatever questions they want. She has the freedom to respond however she wants. People have the right to criticize her for anything that she says. If some people get upset in the process, that is a price people have to pay.

True Capitalism (as long as someone else is not exploited for that profit).

True Freedom of speech (then there is no point to asking the question, unless there is a point in asking it).

But like I said its messed up to have a competition that could turn a girl into the poster child for a fraction of America's rival cause. That's why I stressed its got to change.

People need to stop putting such a huge issue on one head, it's a complete waste of time.

They need peace.

Capitalism is all about exploiting people and situations...and I am not saying that sarcastically or even necessarily in a critical way.

I find it pretty strange that you are criticizing people for expressing themselves about what she said though. There speech is just as protected as hers is. People are more than entitled to express their opinions about what she said. Freedom isn't free. Some people get trampled in the process or are not happy about the result. That's how it works. Don't like it, get a constitutional amendment.