By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Armin van Buuren: Wii loves trance ..... or else

Don't know why we are debating about music here. Music is clearly more subjective to opinion than Video Games. A good game is a good game and a bad game is a bad game even if it isn't popular or sells millions. Music on the other hand is a whole different level. Not that I'm saying that video games aren't vulnerable to opinion.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

Around the Network

I'd rather see a game featuring Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, or U-ziq.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

How could a trance DJ be the best DJ in the world? What can he do that the Beat Junkies can't do? If we're talking about comparing the world's best DJ virtuosos, wouldn't it have to be a turntablist instead of a trance DJ? Who gets to vote on these? Trance fans?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
How could a trance DJ be the best DJ in the world? What can he do that the Beat Junkies can't do? If we're talking about comparing the world's best DJ virtuosos, wouldn't it have to be a turntablist instead of a trance DJ? Who gets to vote on these? Trance fans?

Exactly. Look at that Tiesto video, for example - what is he doing anyway? He's playing a record and pretending to be busy with his mixer and stuff. I hate it when DJs do that. But people actually think that the DJ is "performing" the breakdown, buildup, swooshes, fill ins, whatever. It's all on the records! 

Ah, whatever. I prefer smaller clubs, different music, less pretentious DJs. 

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

I myself like IDM much more, but going to acid party's (goa/psy trance) is very enjoyable too :P.

(although the metal/rock genre will always be my favorite)

Around the Network
ElRhodeo said:

Exactly. Look at that Tiesto video, for example - what is he doing anyway? He's playing a record and pretending to be busy with his mixer and stuff. I hate it when DJs do that. But people actually think that the DJ is "performing" the breakdown, buildup, swooshes, fill ins, whatever. It's all on the records! 

As a DJ who has toured and opened for BT, Sasha, Digweed, Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyk, the Crystal Method, Orbital, Hybrid, Bad Boy Bill, Rabbit-In-The-Moon, Icey, Monk, Sharaz, and hundreds of others, your quote makes me laugh. It truly is performing, and the best DJ's can create an energy that the records themselves could never have. The music is important, but it truly is what you do with it. You would never understand unless you've done it, and I can see that someone who never has done it wouldn't "get it". But I promise you that your thoughts are 100% wrong, there's nothing pretending about that performance. I've spun onstage for 6000 people, and in small venues for 600. Playing records in one thing, manipulating sounds and energy to create the exact reactions and manipulate energy is something else.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
radioioRobert said:
ElRhodeo said:

As a DJ who has toured and opened for BT, Sasha, Digweed, Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyk, the Crystal Method, Orbital, Hybrid, Bad Boy Bill, Rabbit-In-The-Moon, Icey, Monk, Sharaz, and hundreds of others, your quote makes me laugh. It truly is performing, and the best DJ's can create an energy that the records themselves could never have. The music is important, but it truly is what you do with it. You would never understand unless you've done it, and I can see that someone who never has done it wouldn't "get it". But I promise you that your thoughts are 100% wrong, there's nothing pretending about that performance. I've spun onstage for 6000 people, and in small venues for 600. Playing records in one thing, manipulating sounds and energy to create the exact reactions and manipulate energy is something else.

Yeah, he obviously doesn't get it.  He's just pissed that the most popular DJ isn't a DJ he likes.  Not a big surprise though, just look at all the ppl on this site that are pissed their console isn't as popular as the Wii.

Anyway, that's a lot of big DJs u opened for, what's ur DJ name?

radioioRobert said:
ElRhodeo said:

You're getting me wrong - I don't deny at all that DJing is an art, and a difficult one (I've done it too, not in front of 6000 ppl though). I know that a good DJ creates something bigger from the tracks he selects and mixes. So, there's nothing bad I wanted to say about DJs in general. I was talking about this one detail, that is very present among those big room / football stadium DJs: Pretending to be "performing the breakdown". It always makes me laugh when they do it... filter goes up, snare roll starts, loop gets shorter, blah blah - and they pretend that they're the ones doing it. You know what I mean?

I'm using NI Traktor and a Kaoss Pad, so I'm aware that nowadays a DJ can actually do crazy FX stuff himself. But I also know when a DJ is just pretending. 

But let's not talk about Tiesto in special, I admit I don't really know anything about his work. I'm sure he is a great DJ, otherwise he wouldn't be that famous. It's just not my taste, as I already said - but that isn't worth arguing about.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

jason hodges,richie hawtin,maurio piccoto,carl cox etc thats my shit !!

but you armin is pretty good but not my cup of tea

arsenal009 said:
radioioRobert said:
ElRhodeo said:

Yeah, he obviously doesn't get it.  He's just pissed that the most popular DJ isn't a DJ he likes.  Not a big surprise though, just look at all the ppl on this site that are pissed their console isn't as popular as the Wii.

Anyway, that's a lot of big DJs u opened for, what's ur DJ name?

Robert Goodman, my real name. I've been off the circuit for the last 3 or 4 years as I manage internet radio streams full time now, but spun at most major events in the Southeast for years (Zen, Ushyia, WMC, etc) and did one-off gigs across the US from NY to LA to Miami. I also put out records and produced and remixed tracks for both small and major labels under the name Sonic State, and later as Hooper. Sonic State also performed live shows, mostly in Florida (not DJ shows, but actual music performaces). I had a live mix show on WPLA in North Florida for 13 years (all progressive house and breaks). The other side of my musical career is Indie/alt rock, and my other WPLA show Forbidden Planet was nominated for a national independent music award (the PLUG Award) for best radio show 4 years in a row. Good times! All my shows and music now live at radioio.com :)

Anyway OT, this game could have some potential if done right, I will definitely check it out.....

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709