By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN: "Has Nintendo Cooked the Golden Goose?"

TruckOSaurus said:
I don't buy into the Nintendo is doomed thing but I'm desperate for a good E3 showing because after Punch Out Wii there's no Nintendo game left on my radar.

They admitted the last one sucked. PR wise they would never do that, unless they had bigger and better plans for this year. Against last year they can only improve.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

Doooooooooooooooooooommmmmmedd

But it's partially true, even though exaggerated. Nintendo is on a downwards sales trend WW and people aren't talking about the Wii like they did before, that's absolutely true.

A lot of huge games will have to be shown at E3, or else we might have seen Wii's peak year go past us (FY 2009).

I agree that Nintendo has been to complacent and has been resting on their laurels for more than 1 year.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

TruckOSaurus said:
nordlead said:

Somewhat the same here. Beyond Punch-Out!! I can only think of Wii Sports Resort, and Sin & Punishment 2 for Wii. Other than that they have nothing anounced.

They do have The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and Mario & Luigi RPG 3 coming, but of course those are for DS.

Oh thanks nordlead I had forgotten about those two! Have we gotten any new info on S&P2 since to original announcement?

Not that I'm aware of. I'm guessing Sin & Punishment will be an August release like Metroid, as it isn't a huge title but would do good in the fall.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

trestres said:
But it's partially true, even though exaggerated. Nintendo is on a downwards sales trend WW and people aren't talking about the Wii like they did before, that's absolutely true.

A lot of huge games will have to be shown at E3, or else we might have seen Wii's peak year go past us (FY 2009).

I agree that Nintendo has been to complacent and has been resting on their laurels for more than 1 year.

Not necessarily. Their buisness is depended on delivering content not showing it at E3.

Around the Network

@liquidninja: Well, if they do not create awareness of their products at the biggest show of the year, then I guess we might see a couple of Excitebots-like successes down the line. And that's not very good.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

so... what would be bigger.

A HUGE E3, where Nintendo pulls out all the stops

OR

A lackluster E3 that everyone is disappointed in, but then Nintendo holds a special event 1 week later where they dump tons of information to the public stealing all the post E3 attention

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

@trestres
How about advertising on TV to create awareness? It seems to have helped them so far.

The E3 Conundrum

Punters have tipped both Sony and Microsoft to reveal new hardware and some major announcements concerning full-body motion control and interactivity for the PS3 and 360. Nintendo, who we all know pioneered this stuff with the Wii, is now seeing the effects of being first to market: you get outpaced eventually by new hardware innovations.

The real question is: can Wii Sports Resort, Red Steel 2 and a bevy of Tennis Games create enough stir to convince gamers that MotionPlus is as significant a jump as that of its competitors? New hardware announcements always tend to garner the most attention – and with a year now between its original announcement and today, is MotionPlus still as tantalising? Moreover, the current less-is-more approach to software releases only works if the games that do get released are of exceptional quality and generate interest. In the last twelve months, looking at Wii Music and Animal Crossing: City Folk as examples, they aren't, and they haven't.

E3 2009 will be a pivotal showcase for all three companies. However, Nintendo has the most to lose, and therefore the most to prove. We're eager to see what's in store, then. Best case scenario, we'll see a stronger showcase of pure gaming titles than we been hoping for, as well as a key piece of hardware that is capable of putting the Wii back into the media spotlight once again.

Really? That is happening now?

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

I like how strong performance of music games on the Wii somehow transforming into nothing but music games sells for third parties. Success is failure.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.