By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The third time´s the charm?Microsoft to win next generation?

gergroy said:
thekitchensink said:
Jo21 said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Nintendo has lost generations (not come in 1st place) but it has never come in last place.

Anyway, I don't think MS can win next generation and certainly not profit wise. I'm not even sure if Nintendo will sell the most consoles next generation, but it will likely make more profit than MS.

gamecube was last.

Dreamcast doesn't exist?

well, considering the fact that the dreamcast was being liquidated when gamecube and xbox were released, It's hard to include it in that generation.  It really was only on the market with the ps2 for a year, and it really didn't even share the market with gamecube or xbox.  I think it makes more sense to include dreamcast in the previous generation.  it was out a year before the ps2, so it competed with the ps1 and n64 more than it did ps2, xbox, and gamecube.

So the Sega Satrun does not exist now?

Around the Network
YesWiiCan said:
BS Nintendo is not Casual they are also Hardcore so Nintendo is both

I am talking about their E3 conference plus Nintendo never said hardcore games they said "bridge" games.

coolbeans said:
"First you ain't first, you're last"-Ricky Bobby. While true MS has lost/is losing in gens, I actually do have some hope as to what the nextbox has to offer and my take sales title. All in all, sales aren't important to me when 360's winning in the quality game's library department (IMO).

In America the Xbox is a Win...Not WW But atleast it counts for something

JGarret said:
The 3rd console curse only works if a company had 2 previous market leaders...so far at least.

Sega Saturn

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

kjj4t9rdad said:
Sorry but finishing 2nd is still losing. So all three have lost. I don't see this happening next gen. Maybe the one after that. The reliability of the 360 will hurt the 720 to some extent.

Yeah Your right,But going First last gen To  Last place is even worse.

Around the Network
Zizzla_Rachet said:
gergroy said:
thekitchensink said:
Jo21 said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Nintendo has lost generations (not come in 1st place) but it has never come in last place.

Anyway, I don't think MS can win next generation and certainly not profit wise. I'm not even sure if Nintendo will sell the most consoles next generation, but it will likely make more profit than MS.

gamecube was last.

Dreamcast doesn't exist?

well, considering the fact that the dreamcast was being liquidated when gamecube and xbox were released, It's hard to include it in that generation.  It really was only on the market with the ps2 for a year, and it really didn't even share the market with gamecube or xbox.  I think it makes more sense to include dreamcast in the previous generation.  it was out a year before the ps2, so it competed with the ps1 and n64 more than it did ps2, xbox, and gamecube.

So the Sega Satrun does not exist now?

can a company not have more than one console per generation? especially when said company only has those consoles on the market for like 2 years?

Microsoft will always be in second. It will switch between Sony and Nintendo every generation.

DaveD said:
JGarret said:
The 3rd console curse only works if a company had 2 previous market leaders...so far at least.

Sega Saturn

wasn't the Saturn their 4th console ?

SG-1000 -> Master System -> Genesis/Mega Drive -> Saturn ?

Squilliam said:

I wonder about how Nintendo and Microsoft are going to compete really. The thing is with the Wii, its really got hardware from circa 2002, by 2011 thats almost two whole generations of visual improvements and if a console comes out in say 2011 like the Wii but far far more powerful the graphical improvements would be enough to impress people.

Microsoft does have the strength of Xbox Live, its a community which should give them quite a significant captive audience who will only upgrade to a next generation Xbox console barring unforseen circumstances like it sucking balls. Theres 10-20M people right there who may eventually get an Xbox Evolution. Thats a pretty good base to build off, especially as neither PSN or Wii online has the same community feeling and probably not the same level of loyalty.

Microsoft does have quite a few options up its sleeve. They have the option of turning the Xbox Evolution into a computer, they have Windows for example. They have some pretty cool interface technologies as well. What they don't have is a reliable 1st party stable to develop cutting edge innovative software for their Nextbox. To mitigate that weakness they have to release early and get developers working on their platform and releasing games before other platforms to give them early momentum. So ideally they will want to release at least one year, preferrably 18m-2years before Nintendo to give themselves and third parties a chance to create some really compelling software.

Online gameplay has never played a decisive role in any console generation. Less than half of the 360 userbase even has a gold account.

Fact of the matter is that only core and hardcore gamers even really care about it, and even then, not always. Casual gamers(who make up most of the market) really couldn't care less about it.

Trying to turn their next console into a computer won't work either, because most gamers just want a gaming machine. They don't care about all of these extra features. This generation has proven that more than anything.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Zizzla_Rachet said:
RAZurrection said:
Wouldn't say win, but I can't see Xbox 3 being less successful than Xbox 360 will be.

Don't see why you think so..Since the Xbox 360 is a solid number 2 WW....If MS can do itright they will have yet even more success with their Nextbox....And As rumors fly of PS4in 2012..If this were to happen then MS can Really have the advantage..Plus don't underestimate Xbox Gamers in America

It's not a solid second place.

It's a distant second with a negligible lead over the third place console. The lead that it currently enjoys over the PS3 means nothing in the broad scheme of things, especially not in the eyes of third-party developers.

There's also the fact that the 360 appeals almost exclusively to core and hardcore gamers. It doesn't have anything that's going to bring in casual gamers en masse.

Its current market position isn't going to give it much momentum going into next gen. The N64 had a bigger lead over the Saturn, but it didn't really help the Gamecube much.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3