By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Music has sold 2.65 million

TruckOSaurus said:
PS3beats360 said:
A lot of people saw this game on demonstration at last year's E3 2008. Most of us saw it in action and were like what the hell is this game? There seem absolutely no point to the game. Just pressing buttons to make noises. Ok it may interest some young children but is this a game with any substance? Wii Music appeared to have no challenge to it at all. So it is totally understandable the reviewers gave it mediocre reviews. The Wii Music game that I saw on display during Nintendos presentation looked like it would not hold my attention for more than 5 minutes.

And drumming is just hitting drums to make noise. Playing piano is just pressing keys to make noise. Playing the trumpet is just pressing buttons to make noise. Playing guitar is just pinching cords to make noise.

Well you do kinda have to blow but that can be over looked :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

NES.. you're quite butthurt aren't you?

Pixel Art can be fun.

Kali said:
Killergran said:
Kali said:

Killergran said:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. And I do not doubt that the reviewers stated their opinion. But you should give any game the same treatment as you do the others. That's all.

I think that is what reviewers did. They did not give the game extra points for being different. They just did not like it and gave low scores as they would have given any game they did not like.

Did you even read what I said? I did not fault individual persons for saying what they thought of the game, I faulted the companies and the system for not giving Wii Music the chance that other games get. Don't just repeat what I say without looking at my main argument.

Weird. I thought you said that reviewers should give any game the same treatment as the others. Before that, you said that reviewers should try to understand wii music. Do you think they would do that on other games they don't like?

I think I found the problem. If I were a professional book/movie critic, the answer is yes I should. I guess game reviewers get a pass.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

Katilian said:
Kantor said:

1) All have 90+ on Metacritic, none involve violence or killing in any significant way.

2) What people seemingly can't accept is the possibility that this isn't actually a good game, or that the reviewers didn't like it. It's their opinion.

1) I was being sarcastic and was assuming that was fairly obvious. Of course there are numerous non-violent games that get good scores.

2) That's why I said it was a generic rant. Wii Music could be rubbish, I don't know, but this isn't the first game that people have had very similar complaints about on this site and many of the other games are quite polished from my experiences with them and most of the hate seems to be directed towards them purely for being "casual" or not aimed at males between 15-25 (i.e. the majority of people on this site).

These sites are perfectly welcome to their opinions, but one has to remember that their primary market isn't the people who are casual gamers, so using them as definitive proof as a game being terrible, especially when they don't represent the people who are actually interested in/buying the games, is plain wrong.

People don't hate Wii Music becouse it doesn't involve killing or becouse it's on Wii.

Do you see people calling Little King Story, Zeldas, Metroid, Muramasa, Okami , Fire Emblem as crap ? You don't becouse those are quality Wii games.

Wii Music is not one of them.

Which seriously pisses me off when title like this outsell them.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

NES said:
NightstrikerX said:
NES said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
NES said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I still think Wii Music looks like loads of fun, so I'm happy it's sold well.

"Looks" and "is" are two different things.

Oh, so you've actually played it and hate it? Cool.

I played it at gamestop. Its a terrible game.

So you're basing your opinion upon what, at most 15 minutes of playtime at a gamestop? I'm sure that's very credible. I own the game and I enjoy it very much, it's one of the few games of which whenever I see someone else playing it, I have this enourmous urge to join them. I don't know why, but it's a fun game to experiment with in single player, and a blast to butcher, or attempt to recreate amazing songs with multiple people.

Wii Music

based on 43 reviews
Read critic reviews
How did we calculate this?
based on 77 votes
Read user comments
Rate this game

Looks like i have a lot more people on my side. 43 professional reviewers, 77 users, and the rest of the internet.

And yet....2.5 million people thought the game was good enough to buy....looks like he has more people on his side.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

Hahah what a great thread, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside knowing so many "gamers" hate this game and how much it have sold.

I bet not even a 1/4 you have even played this game adn you who have can't have played it more then 1-2 hours and then finding out it was too hard for you.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Wii Music has been bundled in with Wii consoles which make the sales numbers of the game look much better.

To illustrate what I mean by 'bad reviews', here are some nuggets from Gamerevolutions Wii Music review:

No matter what song or instrument you play, everyone’s always in tune and on tempo.
This is wrong. You are always in tune, but the real challange to music is often to coordinate your tempo with everyone else playing.
In Wii Music, there’s nothing to learn, nothing at stake, nothing to win. You’ll never sound better or worse than you do during your first minute of play.
If you practice, you can create music. If you don't, it's just noise. And that's the entire point of Wii Music.
Even five-year-olds need some stimulation and sense of achievement. Wii Music provides neither.
Again, if you practice, you'll get better. That's how music works. If you need highscores to give you a sense of achievment, you've been brainwashed by gaming too much.

And some from the Gamesradar review:

This brings us to the biggest, most disappointing way Wii Music resembles a toy more than a game: Its open-ended, rule-lacking simplicity. You literally can’t lose.
When I play my guitar I cannot loose either. But I could play earsplittingly bad, and in my opinion, that's worse.
A music game with such a strong auto-pilot that you don’t usually do much, and what you do doesn’t really matter or look or sound all that cool. It’s a fair party game - there’s a certain novelty charm to seeing a roomful of people gyrating and gesticulating along to the music.
  There's so much wrong with this quote I don't know where to start. Auto-pilot? What you do really doesn't matter? It's fun to watch people Waggle? I dare you to find another game that gives you the opportunity to create music with your friends in realtime.

These reviewers did not review Wii Music from what it is supposed to do, but from what they think a game is supposed to be. Just as the IGN review of Football Manager reviewed the game from what he thought a soccer game should be, and not for what it really was. That review was withdrawn, but the Wii Music reviews are considered fair?

This is invisible text!

And that is why ladies and gentleman I lost my respect for humanity.

Zlejedi said:
So does this confirm sequel will be anounced at this year E3 as big Nintendo game for core audience? :D

Please no.  There should never ever be another Wii Music.  Actually there should never have been a Wii Music in the first place but we can't change the past but at least we can hope for a better future.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down