By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Klonoa an 8.0!

Here is the link to the review:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/979/979742p1.html

Closing Comments
For anyone that says the pure platformer is dead, I’d tend to agree to a certain standpoint, which is why Klonoa feels like a breath of fresh air on a system that normally spits out mini-game collections and crappy sports packs once a week. Klonoa is a remake of the original, and it follows the template brick for brick, but for newcomers to the series it’s a must-play entry into the world of platformers. For returning fans, there’s still a nice bit of nostalgia to it all as well. I got a kick out of the original 12 years ago, and it’s been great coming back to the series. The visuals look crisp, though there’s better on Wii in the form of titles like Galaxy and Nintendo’s own Wario platformer, but it runs at 60 frames a second, and the core gameplay more than justifies the franchise’s reentry into the gaming world. It’s well worth the $30, and a great platformer with plenty of difficulty ramp-up to appeal to everyone. Welcome back Klonoa. Hopefully you get to kick your feet up and stay for a while…

IGN Ratings for Klonoa (Wii)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
7.0 Presentation
Not as interesting or innovative as the PSX’s storybook design. The concept is there, but there’s less attention to the game’s interface. Characters, design, and humor is great though.
8.0 Graphics
It runs at 60 frames per second, full widescreen, and makes use of some great animation and lighting techniques. More could be done, but it’s a good looking remake.
8.0 Sound
The voice acting is a bit odd, appealing to younger gamers for sure. Very Sonic-like. The remixed music is a nice touch though, and it’s just as robust as ever.
8.5 Gameplay
We’ve done it all before, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a great system. The game tends to be a bit easy, but like Mario Galaxy there’s harder areas tucked away. Good fun.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
If you played the original, this is basically a graphical update. The title runs about four hours or so, but every moment is fun and innovative. Not bad for $30.
Impressive
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Around the Network

Day 1 purchase for me, I love Klonoa

I didn't play the first one so I'll day one on this one.
Pretty hyped too!

4 hours? I guess that is why I have Gamefly.

I never played this back on PSX.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I thought the original was fun, but never played it since

Around the Network

I think it deserved a bit higher though, I mean it's only $29.99.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Might be worth a look sometime down the road. Right now, there are too many games on my list.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

4 hours or not, Klonoa is easily one of the greatest platformers ever. Buy this game.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

May buy, but theres a lot of good games coming out for my Wii - and I only have so much money.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

1UP gave it an A+, 10 out of 10? wow - http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3174084

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.