By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Sony Vaio, are they good?

Jo21 said:
NJ5 said:

No, go for one of the established laptop brands (whichever). They're cheaper and certainly not worse in terms of quality (probably better).

Sony can't even make good batteries, let alone the whole laptop. Don't let the "Sony = quality" mantra fool you in this case.

all major brands companies recall batteries to that includes those made by panasonic and toshiba.

and vaio are quite decent notebooks materials and LCD are at least a step head apple.

(cheap white plastic) unless buy a very expensive aluminium macbook pro.

I searched for battery recalls toshiba and I can only find references to Toshiba recalling Sony batteries that they used:

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/08/toshiba-battery-woes-continue-another-recall.ars

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/toshiba-announces-laptop-battery-recall-201725.php

HP and Dell did the same too:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/153110/hp_dell_toshiba_recall_sony_laptop_batteries_again.html

Maybe you're talking about some older case? Do you have links?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Jo21 said:
NJ5 said:

No, go for one of the established laptop brands (whichever). They're cheaper and certainly not worse in terms of quality (probably better).

Sony can't even make good batteries, let alone the whole laptop. Don't let the "Sony = quality" mantra fool you in this case.

all major brands companies recall batteries to that includes those made by panasonic and toshiba.

and vaio are quite decent notebooks materials and LCD are at least a step head apple.

I'm with NJ5 on this, all the manufacturers had to recall the Sony batteries in their products

As for the cheap white plastic mac books, all mac books are now aluminium

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

They are very expensive for what they offer, as you pay for the looks and the Sony brand name.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Infamy79 said:
Jo21 said:
NJ5 said:

I'm with NJ5 on this, all the manufacturers had to recall the Sony batteries in their products

For accuracy's sake, I searched again and found a report of 6000 non-Sony batteries getting recalled. Still, that's nothing compared to the millions of recalled Sony batteries:

http://news.cnet.com/Panasonic-joins-notebook-battery-recall/2100-1041_3-6112395.html

NJ5 said:
Infamy79 said:
Jo21 said:
NJ5 said:

For accuracy's sake, I searched again and found a report of 6000 non-Sony batteries getting recalled. Still, that's nothing compared to the millions of recalled Sony batteries:

http://news.cnet.com/Panasonic-joins-notebook-battery-recall/2100-1041_3-6112395.html

so? i am just saying recalls did happen,  it was a major outbreak with almost all notebook brands sony and panasonic.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03113.html <-- not notebooks but dangerous batteries get recalled all the time.

the good news there were few very few problems that was corrected and handled for free, it not something to trash sony like it was the only problem. even if they are one of the biggest supplier of notebook batteries and if you have a notebook more like you are using a sony battery now.

microsoft xbox power source burned a house and only release a power cable that prevent ignition.

so you are not getting  a 360 due that?

@infamy : well we got a cracked macbook 13'3 that apple refused to fix due being out of warranty. and we had to pay to get it fixed.

Around the Network

@Jo21: The OP's question was about quality, I just gave him the information I know, which is that Sony's laptops don't have better quality than the established laptop brands.

I believe people should have the information and then decide. For example, I bought a 360 even knowing about the RROD. I wouldn't have bought it if it cost as much as a PS3... With Sony's laptops, they're not even cheaper, which IMO doesn't make them an attractive option. I don't like to pay simply for the brand name, when there's no quality benefit.

which version are you talking about exactly?
if you want a VERY good one, then get the FW series, it would be the best laptop you get for the next decade.

dont know about other versions but i tried the tiny ones , they were meh.. okay but nothing special.

the battery recall is such an old issue it doesn't even apply anymore. What's funny is that those batteries were all asked for by those other companies and were all tested internally and approved for go.

so, even though sony's name was on the battery itself, those other companies are just as much to blame.

theprof00 said:
the battery recall is such an old issue it doesn't even apply anymore. What's funny is that those batteries were all asked for by those other companies and were all tested internally and approved for go.

so, even though sony's name was on the battery itself, those other companies are just as much to blame.

Talk about grasping at straws

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

I think there are good it is a Sony product after all.