By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Sony Vaio, are they good?

@jayderu

Vaios were very popular, at one time nearing 25% marketshare

Around the Network

My bro's had one for the past 4 months. No problems yet. Runs great. We're both big media buffs I might add.

4 ≈ One

my sisters vaio broke down at least once a year for ~ the 3 years shes owned it, either due to hardware failure (battery died at one point, hard drive died as well) , so i wouldn't consider them all that sturdy - of course, this is anecdotal information, so take it with a grain of salt.

as for all in one computers?
http://www.vigorgaming.com/
vigor gaming provides a fairly good price for gaming PCs, and some very pretty cases.

if you want a much cheaper laptop you can wait for the deals at buy.com - deals are done on a daily basis and can some of them are very nice.
i.e. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211060130&adid=17654&dcaid=17654

i dont know how good a radeon HD 3200 videocard is (considering mines is a 3650 and i bought it fall last year), but the other specs on that laptop is fairly impressive considering its for only 600 bucks.

hope that helps

um..stuff

@lightning

I recently bought this laptop
http://computers.pricegrabber.com/laptop/Acer-Aspire-6920-6422-Notebook/m74223250.html/search=acer/st=product/sv=title
#
#
Installed Memory:
#
Processor Type:
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile
#
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
#
Networking:
Ethernet (10/100/1000 Mbps), Wireless Ethernet - 11 Mbps IEEE802.11b, Wireless Ethernet - 54 Mbps IEEE802.11a, Wireless Ethernet - 54 Mbps IEEE802.11g, Wireless Ethernet - 540 Mbps IEEE802.11n
#
Aspect Ratio:
16:9
#
Display Type:
LCD Display w/ Glossy Screen
#
Interface Type:
A/V (Composite), Audio - Line In (1/8" Mini), Audio - Line Out (1/8" Mini), Audio - S/PDIF (1/8" Mini), Bluetooth, Ethernet - RJ45 Twisted-Pair (XBaseT), HDMI, Infrared - iRDA Wireless (iRDA-SIR), Serial - RJ11 Modular (Phone/Telco), USB - Universal Serial Bus 2.0, Video - 15 pin High-Density D-shell (VGA)
#
Included Drives:
BD-ROM/DVD+-RW DL
#
Energy Star:
Yes
#
Video Chipset:
NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS
#
Processor Speed:
#
Hard Drive Size:
#
Weight:

Vaio's are not good for gaming. If you want to get a Vaio, i'd really suggest the new Apple. If you want a good standard gaming Laptop/PC Get Alienware, Dell XPS and things of that sort.

Around the Network
matt247 said:
I only see all-in-one computerson on their website and best buy's. Are you looking for an attractive tower or just something for gaming?

Basically something for gaming. I like good looking towers but it doesn't really matter. Alien ware was neat looking.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Vaio's are not good for gaming. If you want to get a Vaio, i'd really suggest the new Apple. If you want a good standard gaming Laptop/PC Get Alienware, Dell XPS and things of that sort.

apple = big no.

they practically vaios with worse screens and more expensive.

theprof00 said:
@lightning

I recently bought this laptop
http://computers.pricegrabber.com/laptop/Acer-Aspire-6920-6422-Notebook/m74223250.html/search=acer/st=product/sv=title
#
#
Installed Memory:
#
Processor Type:
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile
#
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
#
Networking:
Ethernet (10/100/1000 Mbps), Wireless Ethernet - 11 Mbps IEEE802.11b, Wireless Ethernet - 54 Mbps IEEE802.11a, Wireless Ethernet - 54 Mbps IEEE802.11g, Wireless Ethernet - 540 Mbps IEEE802.11n
#
Aspect Ratio:
16:9
#
Display Type:
LCD Display w/ Glossy Screen
#
Interface Type:
A/V (Composite), Audio - Line In (1/8" Mini), Audio - Line Out (1/8" Mini), Audio - S/PDIF (1/8" Mini), Bluetooth, Ethernet - RJ45 Twisted-Pair (XBaseT), HDMI, Infrared - iRDA Wireless (iRDA-SIR), Serial - RJ11 Modular (Phone/Telco), USB - Universal Serial Bus 2.0, Video - 15 pin High-Density D-shell (VGA)
#
Included Drives:
BD-ROM/DVD+-RW DL
#
Energy Star:
Yes
#
Video Chipset:
NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS
#
Processor Speed:
#
Hard Drive Size:
#
Weight:

That's nice, but do you have to usually buy computers off the internet? I really like going to the store to get one. Usually best buy because if something goes wrong it's just a short distance away from me and i can just bring it to them.

i wouldn't go alienware either. sure - they make dam good gaming PCs, but you end up paying a ridiculous premium (after all, when people think gaming PCs, they usually think alienware).

i redirect you to http://www.vigorgaming.com/ as the reasonably priced alternative

um..stuff

Lightning_24 said:

That's nice, but do you have to usually buy computers off the internet? I really like going to the store to get one. Usually best buy because if something goes wrong it's just a short distance away from me and i can just bring it to them.

Yeah, but you are going to pay an extra 2-300 for that convenience.

That laptop is what I came up with after a straight month of searching and weighing the pros and cons. In fact I paid 999, this one is an amazing price and I can play most games. WoW, Colonization, nothing really hardcore but then again that's what you have a PC for. I can play 95% of games out there.

If you want cheap, there's no better value.
If you want a heavy duty gaming comp, then I agree with others about the dell xps.