By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A virtual boy is console or portable?

A virtual boy is.....

console?

portable?

Its like both...

it has a controller and you can't really take it with you anywhere so it's like a console

It has its own screen and nintendo didn't advertise it as a new console so it's like a portable

in my opinion it is its own thing..its not a portable or a console

At the name of YESHUA, EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Philippians 2:10)

I have the biggest Wishlist on VGchartz

Around the Network

When it came out, Nintendo considered it a portable to stand side-to-side with the Game Boy, much like when the DS came out.

My personal feeling is that Nintendo was trying to make a third type of system, that wasn't a Console or a Handheld. At the time the VB was released, Nintendo's Game Boy was the undisputed master of Handhelds, and the only competition in the Console sector was the Genesis, which wasn't doing to hot compared to the SNES. Nintendo thought "Well, we basically invented the idea of a handheld/portable gaming system 6 years ago with the Game Boy, why not make an entirely new genre of systems so we can get another 300$ from every kid in America."

Unfortunately, there were hardware and software issues with the Virtual Boy, and nobody wanted it, and it died a quick death.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

First rule about Virtua boy is don't mention virtua boy.

Nintendo largely marketed it as a handheld you could take anywhere.
(>'.')>

Around the Network

I don't consider it a portable or console. I'd say it's falls more somewhere between ass and toilet.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

coasterlove said:
I don't consider it a portable or console. I'd say it's falls more somewhere between ass and toilet.

This.

What's black and white and red all over?

MadWorld.

I'd classify it as shit instead of a console or a portable.

dahuman said:
I'd classify it as shit instead of a console or a portable.

Ehhh... coasterlove had a much better joke.

Anyhow its a portable system. It was just too big to actually take outside of the house. I felt the same way about my Game Gear.

I wish they'd hurry up with the Virtual Boy Advance.